Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Would you approve of a revamped re-release of Tos?

You should have said that in the first place but your argument still does not hold a lot of water imho. You have stated repetitively that you are not able to afford seasons sets. BUT. I will concede that in all fairness, if they did do a revamped version in box-sets they should also do a regular version for them who would not choose to buy the other.

:bow: Now there's an idea! They should do that for movies too! Have a "Special Edition" and "Thatrical Edition", or in TOS's case, an "Original Edition" or something. As long as they episodes are available in original format, then they can make whatever revamp they make! :bow:

To throw my two cents in I would like to say this: I have Saturday Night Fever on vinal and cd format. Sometimes I like to hear it on vinal because it sounds softer and more in keeping with it's era that sense. But sometimes I like to listen to my CD. Just because Star Trek TOS would be enhanced and revamped wouldn't mean that that would be the ONLY way you would have of watching it from then on. Im with Alterego on this point. It would merely give you the OPTION of watching a revamped episode if you so wished. The original version would still be there untouched in it's own right.

CaptainPicard: you seem very over protective of a series you admit yourself to only having watched 10 episodes of. If you want to watch it as it was then do so. No one will be putting a gun to your head to make you watch any newer version. And Mudd: I dont think that revamping Star Trek would be opening up the floodgates for other classic shows to be revamped also. Since Star Trek is a contemporary show, people who watch it will obviously go back and watch classic episodes based on shows like Enterprise's popularity. Therefore there will be a market for re-doing classic episodes for that younger audience, that wont really be there for Batman and the likes. Also, there is a lot less needed doing to such series as Batman as they have already fulfilled their potential. Already there are plans to re-make Battlestar Gallactica: is that blasphemous?

Im only presenting an objective argument and I hope it makes sense.

I think it would be good if they did things like clean up the FX, so a shuttle craft flew across the screen instead of jerking across the screen. The backgrounds that Alterego mentioned, and the phaser fire lining up better. I can't see that cleaning up stuff like that was really damage anything or even change the story. cleaning up the sound would be ok to.

CaptainPicard: you seem very over protective of a series you admit yourself to only having watched 10 episodes of. If you want to watch it as it was then do so. No one will be putting a gun to your head to make you watch any newer version.

It's not that I'm "protective", I'm just not big on "special editions", unless they restore deleted scenes, or "finish" the movie as it was rush into theaters. That sort of thing. I just don't like "special editons" with updated special effects becuase the existing ones look bad. I've never liked it when they did that to movies, becuase in my opinion, they looked extremely out of place. Besides, if they were to try and fix up the sky so it was "filled it", then what about the fake looking rocks? Are they gonna have to CGI that? Well, you might as replace all the models that people spent a LOT of hard effort on, and while you're at it, why not give the Klingons ridges? See how this bugs me?

I don't see any need for new CGI effects as I think they are fine as they are and fit with the show and more importantly, the period they were made. When I see them re-doing the effects of a Doctor Who story I don't mind as the effects for that show were fairly rubbish even compared to TOS.

If CGI effects were created for the series then they would have to be extras on a DVD which could be turned on and off depending on how you feel on the subject.

I've only seen like 10 TOS episodes, and I'd like to see them as they were originally presented.  I would be very ticked off if they went and "enhanced" the special effects, as it'd be completely off, ruin the 60's feel, and oh man, there's so much more I could complain about.

In my opinion, this would be as bad an idea as a total remake! :bow:

I agree and I would react the same way. As I wrote before, the new versions of Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits were just awful. Its the story lines that made the shows in the 60's. They needed no special effects to excite you. Anyway, it is better to have an original show then to have a sad copy of an old show.

I have also seen every episode of TOS at least 20 times. In fact, I saw TOS when it was first run.

Here's something I'd like to add:

Remember what they did with ST:TMP? They finished the movie's special effects and added in some new ones, but most importantly, they made sure they looked like they were done in '79.

If they were to do stuff, like make it so you could see the warp nacelled out the window, put a moon in the sky, simple stuff like that, and make it look like it was done in the 60's, I'm all for it.

However, if they want to make the special effects look modern, then I think it would take away from the quallity of TOS.

Well kids. Remember, it's important to keep a balanced perspective. The original question was should they be revamped? Some have sais yes and some have said no. So the answer would be yes: revamp them but one section wont want to see them and the other will.

Guest johny speed

I think it would be great to see a cleaned up version of TOS, I only ever saw a few episodes so I am no expert on this epy but re released cleaner version would be a one I would look out for.

but I also think that sometimes its best to leave them well along original is sometimes better.

I have to admit a cleaning up maybe necessary. Some of the special effects are embarrassing, and painful to watch. And they need to get rid of those large plastic coloured knobs they use for everything. And the sets need a little work. I remember Kirk walking down a passage, and he kept passing the same rocks over, and over again. All that they did was change the lighting, sometimes it was red, then blue, then green. Don't get me wrong I love the series. B)

I have to admit a cleaning up maybe necessary. Some of the special effects are embarrassing, and painful to watch. And they need to get rid of those large plastic coloured knobs they use for everything. And the sets need a little work. I remember Kirk walking down a passage, and he kept passing the same rocks over, and over again. All that they did was change the lighting, sometimes it was red, then blue, then green. Don't get me wrong I love the series.  B)

Now see, those are the changes I don't want to see. If they want to do subtle stuff like paint a moon in the sky, update the weapons effects, make it so you see a ship out the window, replace the ENT with a 60's looking CGI image to clean up a specfic shot, stuff like that would be great. But doing the kind of stuff you suggested... well, that'd just take away from it being a "classic". Besides, shouldn't the classics be left untouched for the most part?

I agree that minor changes are fine. Major meddling may take away from the original story. The time and money could go into completely new episodes.

I have to admit a cleaning up maybe necessary. Some of the special effects are embarrassing, and painful to watch. And they need to get rid of those large plastic coloured knobs they use for everything. And the sets need a little work. I remember Kirk walking down a passage, and he kept passing the same rocks over, and over again. All that they did was change the lighting, sometimes it was red, then blue, then green. Don't get me wrong I love the series.  :)

Now see, those are the changes I don't want to see. If they want to do subtle stuff like paint a moon in the sky, update the weapons effects, make it so you see a ship out the window, replace the ENT with a 60's looking CGI image to clean up a specfic shot, stuff like that would be great. But doing the kind of stuff you suggested... well, that'd just take away from it being a "classic". Besides, shouldn't the classics be left untouched for the most part?

I agree with both of you. My favourite thing about DVDs (besides the extras and the fact that you can watch whatever you want whenever you wanyt) is how good the picture quality is, and that's all I want changed for TOS. Besides, the FX are hilarious.

I would be curious to see what would it give...

Especially with the special effect... And the ship outside

It would be cool to see a revamped version of TOS but I think you shouldn't mess with a classic. It was really a great break through in the Sifi tv series and to re-do it would not do it justice.

Stardate:213504.9

I think that they should just make the effects look better but leave the way they appear and leave the way all the aliens look and whatnot.

I agree with putting a few new effects in TOS but to changr it compleatly would really take away from the experiance. I watch TOS on Sifi as much as I can and as bad as the effects look I love them because I know that this is the way your supposed to see it. If this makes no sence I apologize in advance it's really late here.

I started watching TOS in 68 with my father. Today, we still sit and watch the show on tape and occasionally on tv. We both still love the way it was done. I enjoy the time together with my dad and I wouldn't change anything that keeps us close. Star Trek is one of those things that we can sit and talk about that mom has to walk away on.....lol. We love the way Kirk hams it up and Spock (my fav character) and Bones debate the sun rise, so to speak. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Thats very nice nh1963, would watching the series with added effects/enhancements give you and you're dad more to talk about?

I would love to watch TOS redone using CGI effects.Unfortunately it would cost so much,I don't think we'll ever get to see any of it.It might even make the new series Enterprise seem more a part of the TOS continuity if we could see a pre-refit constitution-class Enterprise that looked more state-of-the-art than NX-01.