Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek Insurrection

The Baku kid with his annoying little pet....uh...something? annoyed me.

Also, it's mentioned that the Federation has opinion polls and such. I think that rather than wanting to protect the Baku, most Federation citizens would probably pressure the Federation to begin harnessing the power and benefits of those rings or many Federation citizens would start settling on the planet itself.

:frusty:

284486[/snapback]

I can't remember ... were the Baku or the Sona members of the Federation? Was it just the Sona who were members? The Baku? Either/neither?

And now you've reminded me of the stupid little kid when I'd forgotten all about him in my loathing of Anige ... thanks a lot, dude. :look:

The Baku kid with his annoying little pet....uh...something? annoyed me.

Also, it's mentioned that the Federation has opinion polls and such. I think that rather than wanting to protect the Baku, most Federation citizens would probably pressure the Federation to begin harnessing the power and benefits of those rings or many Federation citizens would start settling on the planet itself.

:look:

284486[/snapback]

I can't remember ... were the Baku or the Sona members of the Federation? Was it just the Sona who were members? The Baku? Either/neither?

And now you've reminded me of the stupid little kid when I'd forgotten all about him in my loathing of Anige ... thanks a lot, dude. :frusty:

284567[/snapback]

The planet the Ba'ku lived on was within Federation space but they weren't members of the Federation. The Son'a were not members either. They had proposed an alliance to "harvest" the metaphasic radiation of the planet since the planet was in Federation space but the Son'a had the technology to do it.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who loathed Anij.

Well I watched it again recently because this is Robert's favorite Star Trek movie and I don't understand this hatred of Anij. She's one of the few things in this movie I really like. I don't think she's smug at all, she's calm. If you had 300+ years of wisdom the younger crowd might think you were smug too. And I can't believe nobody is mentioning the scene where Geordi sees his first sunrise with regular eyes. For me that's one of the most touching scenes in all of TNG. Still not one of my favorite movies, but it has some good parts and good characters.

the scene where Geordi see his first sunrise with regular eyes

That's a good point. That was a very moving and powerful scene.

And I guess Anij was OK. The character was annoying, but luckily Donna Murphy is a likable actress and was able to get something out of the character.

Well I watched it again recently because this is Robert's favorite Star Trek movie and I don't understand this hatred of Anij. She's one of the few things in this movie I really like. I don't think she's smug at all, she's calm. If you had 300+ years of wisdom the younger crowd might think you were smug too. And I can't believe nobody is mentioning the scene where Geordi sees his first sunrise with regular eyes. For me that's one of the most touching scenes in all of TNG. Still not one of my favorite movies, but it has some good parts and good characters.

284690[/snapback]

I enjoyed Insurrection and I agree that the scene with Geordi was very moving.

As for Anij, I don't "hate" her but perhaps she was too calm. She spoke in a sort of monotone way that annoyed me. She sounded the same throughout the whole movie and that calm voice had the effect of wanting to put me to sleep it was so calm. Not a "bored" sleep but a "mother comforting a child to sleep" type of sleep if that makes sense.

Except when the 'know it all' fell into the water and nearly drowned. Those pouty lips were bobbing up and down like a dying salmon... ha ha ha.

Except when the 'know it all' fell into the water and nearly drowned. Those pouty lips were bobbing up and down like a dying salmon... ha ha ha.

284987[/snapback]

:nono:

Thank you, prometheus, I really needed that laugh today!

How do you live 300 years and not know how to swim? Just never had the time? :nono:

Jadzia Dax was 300 years old and she had the ability to speak without a monotone. If being "at peace" means becoming eternally boring, then I think I'll pass.

I didn't like the line "the second we pick up a weapon we become one of them".

That's just the kind of hippie nonsense I can't stand.

So, by that logic, if someone is trying to kill you, and they say "We want to kill you" and you pick up a weapon to defend yourself, that makes you like the people who want you dead???

Where's the rational in that???

Also, their philosophy doesn't stand up. They don't rely on technology so they think they've found the perfect society, but they rely on a certain chemical in the rings of their planet, so what's the difference? They didn't evolve into a harmonious society, they just got VERY lucky and happen to find a planet that could give them eternal life.

I don't understand why the Federation hadn't alrwady been building settlements on that planet as soon as they discovered it, and I don't buy this excuse that it lies in a dodgy patch of space. What would they have done if another hostile race tried to take their planet, other than the Son'a??? Would they have stood by and done nothing, since they refuse to fight??? With the Son'a originally, they could have become very powerful, with advanced ships, two slave races, and retained their little planet.

Also, I don't understand how a handful of Son'a could have conquered two entire races, however primative they may be. In VOY, the Trabe conquered and enslaved the Kazon, who were much more primative, but they still were overthrown. It was a stroke of fortune that the Son'a picked two races to conquer than were really good at learning how to do skin stretching and tooth implantation.

I didn't like the line "the second we pick up a weapon we become one of them".

That's just the kind of hippie nonsense I can't stand.

So, by that logic, if someone is trying to kill you, and they say "We want to kill you" and you pick up a weapon to defend yourself, that makes you like the people who want you dead???

Where's the rational in that???

Also, their philosophy doesn't stand up. They don't rely on technology so they think they've found the perfect society, but they rely on a certain chemical in the rings of their planet, so what's the difference? They didn't evolve into a harmonious society, they just got VERY lucky and happen to find a planet that could give them eternal life.

I don't understand why the Federation hadn't alrwady been building settlements on that planet as soon as they discovered it, and I don't buy this excuse that it lies in a dodgy patch of space. What would they have done if another hostile race tried to take their planet, other than the Son'a??? Would they have stood by and done nothing, since they refuse to fight??? With the Son'a originally, they could have become very powerful, with advanced ships, two slave races, and retained their little planet.

Also, I don't understand how a handful of Son'a could have conquered two entire races, however primative they may be. In VOY, the Trabe conquered and enslaved the Kazon, who were much more primative, but they still were overthrown. It was a stroke of fortune that the Son'a picked two races to conquer than were really good at learning how to do skin stretching and tooth implantation.

285200[/snapback]

:nono: :o :o :hug: :o :lol:

Are you married? Because my husband has a sister who is not married and we need someone just like you at all of our holiday gatherings! If you are married, bring your wife and we'll adopt you both.

"hippie nonsense" ... I love it and totally agree with you.

Imagine making a rug for about twenty odd years. Oh the joy... i wonder if one person could have like 100 kids over 300 years. Imagine the overpopulation problems. They were very Amish werent they. Admiral Doughety was a real bore. Bad character.

'You can live in a moment forever'. Hmmm... not with you love! With your voice i could sleep forever! The next time you watch The Astranaut's Wife imagine that it's Anij in the bath with the electric radio.

^^^^Oh my God, you've got to stop this!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Can't breath :lol2: must breathe :lol2: .......

Whew. All I can say is that better be some flippin' rug.

I Liked This Movie But One Question Still Bothers Me:

How The [insert naughty word here] Can The Sona Produce Ketrcal White?!I Thought Only The Founders Can Do That!!

It would have been better if the plotline "The battle for paradise has begun" Tied in with DS9.Having The Dominion Try And Conquer The Baku Planet And The Federation Having To Stop Them.

Edited by Zengo

Are you married? Because my husband has a sister who is not married and we need someone just like you at all of our holiday gatherings! If you are married, bring your wife and we'll adopt you both.

LOL!!!!!! :nono::nono:

No, not married, but I do have a Beloved. :nono:

Imagine making a rug for about twenty odd years

I found that funny about "being an apprentice for thirty years". :o

Edited by The King

The Ba'Ku and Sona were both the same People the Sona just aged away from the planet and needed the skin stretching etc and it was "The Brier Patch"that lead to the Ba'ku Homeworld and it was a very touching moment when Geordie was able to see a Sunrise with normal eyes.

B) B) B) B)

No, those were the two primative races they conquered.

They couldn't have had ships that advanced.

Unless, those designs of ships were what the Baku originally used to find their planet and when the Sona left, they took the designs with them and simply updated them over time.

Edited by The King

I Liked This Movie But One Question Still Bothers Me:

How The [insert naughty word here] Can The Sona Produce Ketrcal White?!I Thought Only The Founders Can Do That!!

It would have been better if the plotline "The battle for paradise has begun" Tied in with DS9.Having The Dominion Try And Conquer The Baku Planet And The Federation Having To Stop Them.

285414[/snapback]

The Founders created it but that doesn't mean others can't produce it. The Dominion would have needed suppliers, which the So'na were, of Ketracel-white to keep up supplies especially after the Wormhole blockade and the destruction of the Torga IV storage facility.