Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

New Site Feature

As you know there were several forums that we turned off the post counts. That was done to combat post padding.

An example would be in the Personal Logs forum. There were instances of 25 and 30 posts in a row of 1 word just to increase the post count.

I've now installed a new feature that will allow us to turn the post counts back on in those forums (most of them).

The new feature is a "minimum character requirement". What that does is counts the letters in a post, if those letters exceed the minimum required amount then the post will count in your post count. If it is under the minimum amount then the post will still be posted but won't count toward increasing your overall total.

At this moment, as I type this the minimum is set at 50 characters. That's not the limit however. I will actually be lowering that to a lower number that the Mods determine to be fair but stays consistent with the spirit of the upgrade.

Once the actual minimum character number is set I will post here so everyone will know. But as I said, for the moment it's 50 characters.

A "character" is defined as a letter, punctuation mark or space within the post.

As a result of this new modification that's been installed the post counts in Games, Trivia, Cotton Candy Factory and Personal Logs have been reactivated.

I just hope the intentional post padding doesn't start again, if it does we might have to turn off post counts entirely.

That's a nice feature. It did annoy me that some of my posts didn't count towards my overall count no matter how long they were. Actually I've stopped watching my post count though, it's just kind of a interesting little tidbit of information to me now. I share your hope VBG that 'padding' doesn't erupt all over the board again. :clap: But it has also occured to me that some people can say more with a few words then others can with paragraphs. Just look at this post <<<I'm rambling all over the place here. :clap:

Sometimes all I need is a few words, other times, I do need a paragraph. I'm just one of those kinds a people that on some topics can get the point across with five words, others I need five hundred.

Hmmm well i just looked at my profile and 36% of my posts where in games..when you turned the post count off for games i was in agreement because i was a little guilty of padding but i dont do the games anymore and wont be padding now you turned the count back on i just hope others dont go crazy and flood the board with games it makes it hard to find good topics...well i am just lazy i dont like having to look for them...lol

Hmmm well i just looked at my profile and 36% of my posts where in games..when you turned the post count off for games i was in agreement because i was a little guilty of padding but i dont do the games anymore and wont be padding now you turned the count back on i just hope others dont go crazy and flood the board with games it makes it hard to find good topics...well i am just lazy i dont like having to look for them...lol

I don't think it will be a problem, real small posts still get no credit on the post counts. Besides, if the system gets abused they will be turned off again.

^

^

^ Is feeling Creative. :laugh::clap: OOPS, wrong Thread. :clap: I never think about thread count anyway. :laugh: WHAT?? :clap: I just talk and talk all the time anyway. :o I talk until my fingers are blue in the face. :clap: No, VBG, I'm glad you turned the count back on. If WAB acts up, just let me know, I'll take care of him, tout sweet :clap::clap:

Stardate:214276.8

Cool feature VBG.All though it doesnt bother me,my post count doesnt matter to me anyways.

I like the idea very much. Like Hangon I felt a little guilty of padding through the games, but I think its much more farer to everyone. It also believe that sometimes I don't need lots of characters to get my point across.