Sign in to follow this  
Luvin1stdegree

HELP!

I need your help! I am having a debate with someone who shall remain nameless (you know who you are! LOL). The question is, if person A and person B make a bet, does person A default and lose the bet if he/she is found cheating??? I say yes. What do you think?

Ok well my personal knowledge of bets is this, if person A bets Person B that Person B will "reach 500+" on the post count then the bet is that the post count will be 500+. Not that Person B will post 500+ postings. Now if it so happens that Person A has the ability to change Person B's post count manually and the said post count jumps from 25 to 509 then person A wins the bet. The bet simply in this example was that Person Bs post count would reach 500+, there was no mention of How it would reach 500+. Therefore there was no cheating in this example...

:devil:

Once again you leave me with no choice but to bang my head against a brick wall!!! Why are you so determined to be right ALL THE TIME! Ugh!

I do believe it is assumed by those involved (except you, obviously) that in the example provided that the magical number of 500 would be reached through posts, and NOT your manipulation of the number!!!

LMAO The bet was that you would reach 500+, not HOW you would reach it... ;)

Remember "He-Man"?

I HAVE THE POWER

:D

P.S. to all those that are now confused... we bet she would reach 500+, she said: "Finally a chance to be right for once and prove you wrong, I just won't post". Well, little did she know that when she was saying that she was already at 509 :devil:

BTW I put it back to where it was to begin with (but not before setting it to 5090 lol)

I would love to be able to stay up late and hang out on here. Unfortunately, my job and school requires me to get up at 4:30 AM.

No matter when I am on, VBG finds plenty of time to drive me crazy!!! LOL In fact, I think he's trying to make a career of it.

Common sense dictates that the 500 mark would be reached through my own efforts, not yours. Is anyone else with me???????

VBG, I realize you aren't going to let me win this one....as always, I am left shaking my head in frustration!!! LMAO ;)

Common sense dictates that the 500 mark would be reached through my own efforts, not yours. Is anyone else with me???????

VBG, I realize you aren't going to let me win this one....as always, I am left shaking my head in frustration!!! LMAO ;)

Although I'm with you on this one luvin1stdegree, saying so just may get me be banned from the boards. I think VBG owes you a public apology. :D

You're right UhuraRiker, you miss a lot when you go to bed early. You are also right about the avatars. At first I thought VBG had developed a multiple personality disorder. :D

Although I'm with you on this one luvin1stdegree, saying so just may get me be banned from the boards. I think VBG owes you a public apology. :D

You're right UhuraRiker, you miss a lot when you go to bed early. You are also right about the avatars. At first I thought VBG had developed a multiple personality disorder. :D

Banned!

:devil: B)

So if I understand correctly, the feeling is that the wording of a bet doesn't really matter. It's what the person betting thinks the bet should be?

I'll have to keep that in mind next time I bet on a football game....

"But I thought I was betting that my team would lose, so shouldn't I win the bet since they did lose the game?" :(

Here's a funny story that has to do with the wording of bets.

About 10 years ago I was at work and bet one of my co-workers that I could tell him the score of the next days Eagles-Giants game before it starts. He was a Giants fan and I am an Eagles fan.

This guy took the bait and was eager to bet me, I set eht bet amount at 1 months pay. Still eager to bet, figuring I was unable to look into the future he bet me (In front of about 25 people).

After we shook hands he shot back with the question "So what's the score going to be 'Swammy'?!?!? " and my response was "The score of tomorrows Giants-Eagles game, before it starts, will be 0-0". He never did pay up even though I won the bet and told him the score of the game before it started. It was only a joke bet of course and I wouldn't have expected him to pay up.

The moral of the story is, Be sure you understand the bet before entering into it ;) :devil:

VaBeachGuy Posted on May 4 2003, 03:13 AM

if person A bets Person B that Person B will "reach 500+" on the post count then the bet is that the post count will be 500+.

I have to disagree - In your words - your bet was person B "would reach" 500+ posts. The words "person B will reach" imply that Person B's actions were a part of the bet. If you had said simply said I bet tomorrow your post count will be 500+ then you would be right.

Luvin1stdegree - even though you're right - dont' know that you'll win

LOL Well the fact of the matter was that the Post count did reach 500+, just like the bet stated. It was never said that she would actually post 500+ times, the tricky part of the matter was just a matter of how it would reached 500+.

What it all boils down to though was that the whole thing was just us joking around with eachother.

For those that may not know this, Amy (Luvin1stdegree) is new to the universe of Trekdom. Truth be told if you had bet her a year ago that she would be a member of a Star Trek fans message board she would have likely bet you anything that it would never happen in a million years and if you added to the bet that she would actually be watching the show and liking it she would have doubled the bet. The kicker would have been if you had bet her that she would not only be planning on going to but also helping to organize a Star Trek convention she would have called an ambulance for you at that time on the spot because she would say you were not only a danger to yourself but to the public in general.

Face it Amy, you are a Trekker now for life! ;)

VBG = devilindisguise.gif

I seem to recall a time when I joked about passing you in the post totals and you then changed your post total so that the first number was a 2 instead of a zero so you briefly had over 20,000 posts. :D;)

VBG =  devilindisguise.gif

I seem to recall a time when I joked about passing you in the post totals and you then changed your post total so that the first number was a 2 instead of a zero so you briefly had over 20,000 posts. B)  ;)

I remember that!!! :D :D

VBG =  devilindisguise.gif

I seem to recall a time when I joked about passing you in the post totals and you then changed your post total so that the first number was a 2 instead of a zero so you briefly had over 20,000 posts. ;)  :D

Me?? I would never do such a thing... :D :devil:

The moral of the story is, Be sure you understand the bet before entering into it

I believe the true moral of the story is NEVER enter into a bet with VBG!

Luvin1stdegree - even though you're right - dont' know that you'll win

TheUnicornHunter---I'm am completely sure you are correct in assuming I won't win. I have known VBG for almost 4 years now and believe me, I NEVER win with him. He has the most amazing talent for b*#$sh*#**$* his way out of any arguement we have. What usually happens is that I get so frustrated, I just give in and let him have his way. I do thank you for your support, though. It's nice to know I have people on my side.

On another note, I do have to publicly admit that he is right about one thing. A year ago I wouldn't have believed I'd be a part of the Trek world. Whether I'm a "trekker" (as VBG claims) is, I guess, a matter of opinion. For the last few months I have been watching TOS and finding myself enjoying it for the most part. There are some episodes that did not hold my attention at all, but some seemed to fly by in 5 minutes and it was over! I have also seen a few episodes of TNG and like that show, too. Although, mostly because of Riker. What a hottie!!!

PS....I may get some grief for this, but any ladies out there who like the Riker look, ask VGB to send you one of his pics. There's one of him that gets him compliments every time. He knows which one. LOL

PS....I may get some grief for this, but any ladies out there who like the Riker look, ask VGB to send you one of his pics. There's one of him that gets him compliments every time. He knows which one. LOL

I just PMd him. 1037816576.gif

Although, mostly because of Riker. What a hottie!!!

You've got good taste! Big%20Thumb%20Up.gif My best friend actually said Riker is yucky looking!! obm.gif I wonder if our friendship can survive this. laughing-smiley-002.gif

well, even though i would be annoyed with VBG if ibet him and he 'altered' the state of the bet, it really was worded that way. looks like VBG found a loop-hole. lol

(man that was a tough post to word. if i make any of the moderators mad with me i could get booted. lol. ;):D:D )

well, even though i would be annoyed with VBG if ibet him and he 'altered' the state of the bet, it really was worded that way. looks like VBG found a loop-hole. lol

(man that was a tough post to word. if i make any of the moderators mad with me i could get booted. lol.  :D  B)  :D )

LOL The bet was made with that Loop-hole in mind right from the start, one thing I've learned over the years... only bet the "sure thing" ;)

Okay, VBG, just so there aren't any more questions about what the actual intent of the bet is, I propose we make all our future bets here on the board so we have witnesses as to what was actually bet.

Okay, VBG, just so there aren't any more questions about what the actual intent of the bet is, I propose we make all our future bets here on the board so we have witnesses as to what was actually bet.

Does he have to promise that he won't use his mod powers to edit the bet posts if it looks like you will win one? You wouldn't do that would you VBG? ;)

Takara, please don't give him any more ideas! Don't put anything past him....he's sneaky!!! He'll manipulate the board and then convince you it was your doing!!!! lmao

Does he have to promise that he won't use his mod powers to edit the bet posts if it looks like you will win one? You wouldn't do that would you VBG? :innocent:

Nah, I won't need to... I only bet what I know I'll win lol

Well it looks like you win, and I seem to remember that giving you the right to give her a custom rank as was discussed in a previous thread is that still true. LOL

Well it looks like you win, and I seem to remember that giving you the right to give her a custom rank as was discussed in a previous thread is that still true.  LOL

I had forgotten about that...