Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Kirk

How did you become a Trekker?

It all began for me In 1986 when I began middleschool. At the time I was starting my very awkward teen years and I had just moved into new home also. I was sad and lonely and children can very cruel. One day I went into the school's library where I found and checked out a 1st edition (1967) Star Trek book by James Blish. It was full of TOS episode adaptations. It had the Balance of Terror, Miri and several others. Rading that book took me into a future i which everyone was judged by their character and not by their appearance. That's a big thing to teens. It was another time and place. I suppose at the time that was where I wished to be also. After reading that book I was hooked. Soon I read STMP novelization and several other books. Then I bought my first ST novel Star TrekIV. At this time I started to watch the old reruns on TV. I had been a Star Wars fan earlier and I had thought Star trek was boring but that all changed. When the next generation debuted I was a complete Trekker. I suppose a bit of my interest was escapism but I love the theme of ST and the characters. That has lasted until this day. I have other hobbies but ST will always be there. ;)

I discovered Star Trek when there was a marathon of TNG on TNN. The first episode I ever saw was "The Best of Both Worlds, Part2". I started watching Star Trek because there was too much news coverage on every other channel. It was shortly after September 11, 2001. :innocent:

I discovered Star Trek when there was a marathon of TNG on TNN.  The first episode I ever saw was "The Best of Both Worlds, Part2".  I started watching Star Trek because there was too much news coverage on every other channel.  It was shortly after September 11, 2001. :innocent:

It's very interesting that you found Trek when you did. Did you find the message of Star Trek to be comforting while dealing with the events of September 11? For me, I found great comfort in the hope.

As for becoming a faithful Trekkie, I don't know if I can put a finger on when it happened exactly. One minute I'm sitting there watching a great episode, the next I realize that my day is ruined if I miss the next, and then all of a sudden :( I'm a Trekkie!!

How did I become a Treker, well it all started when I was a young lad and my dad took me for walks along the moors and eventually I became interested in climbing a mountain, and that is exactly what I did when on holiday in the Alps. Good fun! :innocent:

I was living in Seattle and every sat they would show this block of tv where it only had to do with super heroes and science fiction. The last on on that block was Star Trek which I thought was a lot better then the battlestar galatica and Buck Rogers that came before it. I think it was the ship itself that took me in because I never seen a design that memorable. Later when i got older I started quoting eps and getting into the spinoffs.

i guess my mom showed it to me. i used to come home after kindergarten and watch tng with her. i was so mad when the canceled it. i even have a grade two school photo and i was wearing a data sweater. its been in my life ever since. i started watching it before i was even in school and now im in grade 10. tng: started 1987, me: born 1987. coincidence? i think not.

I discovered Star Trek when there was a marathon of TNG on TNN.  The first episode I ever saw was "The Best of Both Worlds, Part2".  I started watching Star Trek because there was too much news coverage on every other channel.  It was shortly after September 11, 2001. :innocent:

It's very interesting that you found Trek when you did. Did you find the message of Star Trek to be comforting while dealing with the events of September 11? For me, I found great comfort in the hope.

As for becoming a faithful Trekkie, I don't know if I can put a finger on when it happened exactly. One minute I'm sitting there watching a great episode, the next I realize that my day is ruined if I miss the next, and then all of a sudden :( I'm a Trekkie!!

Yes, actually I did. :(

I told this story in another thread someplace but for me it all started when I was 5 days old on March 7th 1969. I don't remember the episode but I know for a fact that I was in front of the TV and pointed in it's direction so that I was able to watch it with my father.

Same as the first landing on the moon in July of that same year, I was only a couple months old but I was there and in front of the TV and it was made sure that I was looking at the TV.

I don't know anything about child development but I think it's more then coincidence that for those 2 events I was speciffically "shown" the show/event and was held there while it was happening so my brain could take the event in even though I was unable to understand any of it only to grow up and have those 2 things become a major "passion" for me. I've written a research paper on the Apollo program when I was in college and Love anything to do with NASA, and well you all know what I think about Star Trek... lol

I think I was always quietly a star trek fan even though I didn't see any episode or movie until Voyage Home was released in the cinemas. I think it appealed to my fondness for Sci-fi which stated in Year 8. The movie was funny, and didn't take itself too seriously.

Then when I moved out of home I watched The Next Generation religiously even if the reception was so awful that only shadows could be discerned- it was okay if I could hear what was going on. Twelve years on I tape all of the shows religiously and feel as though something is just not right if I miss an episode.

:laugh: Believe it or not I watched the original for many years and never really considered myself a Trekkie. When it went into reruns and TNG began, I stopped watching for YEARS. It was not until I discovered VOYAGER in it's 4th season that I trully became a Trekkie. Now, I have gone back to the reruns of both TNG and TOS. I also watch Enterprise. I've tried Deep Space NIne. But it's not my favorite. But anyway, since Voyager I've become a Star Trek fanatic. :innocent:

In 1988 TNG was released in the UK on VHS first and My Dad rented E@F and I've been hooked ever since

I used to watch TOS re-runs all the time before it was snatched up by cable. I was real little, like 6 or 7. Anyway, at that age, I loved the ole 60's shows! I Dream of Gennie, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Star Trek, and more!

My dad and sister used to watch TNG now and then. I thought it was borring becuase I allways walked in when they were having a conferrence or something. :innocent: Anyway, when I did give it a chance after seeing them watch it so much, my first episode was "The Best of Both Worlds". After seeing this, I was hooked, and TNG was in it's 5th season. My first Trek movie was seeing The Wrath of Khan on TV. I've been a fan ever sense.

I've been a trekkie since I saw the previews for TOS - I can still vaguely remember what the promo looked like. I think I just came into the world pre-dispositioned to be a trekkie or SciFi fan in general. The love of space has been "in my blood" for as long as I can remember.

I became a Trekkie two years ago. My dad introduced it to me cos he's been a fan of the show since it first aired. Now we watch episodes together as a family :)

I became a trekkie when I was about nine. I started watching Trek as a way to form a bond and to have something to talk with my oldest brother about, as he was 13 yrs older than me. I had not seen or heard from him in three years and he had just came back into my life when he found out I was having surgery. Trek became "our" thing that we could do together while we got to know each other again. It helped us form a very strong bond that lasted until he passed away eight years later. I have continued to love trek since then, it is one of the things that helps me to remember the good times that we have had together.

1995, i was 8 and my uncle introduced me to trek, half my life i've been a trekker.

My family was big into sci-fi even when i was young. Finally one day my dad decide I had seen enough cartoons, it was time for the big guns....After he turned it to Trek, it was Phasers of Phull I'm a Phan!

My family was big into sci-fi even when i was young. Finally one day my dad decide I had seen enough cartoons, it was time for the big guns....After he turned it to Trek, it was Phasers of Phull I'm a Phan!

:martok: ROFL! :angry:

:martok: ROFL! :laugh:

Add me to that!! ROFL! :angry: :P

It was about 1984 or so, and I caught part of an episode while I was on a family getaway, just channel flipping with nothing else to watch. The next day, the same thing, and I was hooked. Then The Wrath of Khan was on tv about 1986, and I realized I was in WAAAAAAY over my head.