Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

First Private Sector Manned Space Launch

At approximately 6:30 a.m. on June 21st a private development team will launch its manned space ship for a limited test flight. Their ulitmate goal is to win the $10 Million dollar prize being offered to the first team to launch a three man ship into space.

A brief flight past the atmopshere may not seem like big news BUT it could change the direction of spaceflight forever if the private sector is able to engage in mannered spaceflight.

Tierone

A pic of spaceshipone

Click for Spoiler:

SS1glide_lr.jpg

yeah EGGZACKTLY i just watched screensavers and they talked about that.....

i found it very intresting and shall shearch the web for futher results...

:theking: I've seen them in the air. And :clap: I didn't know what the H*LL I was seeing, now I know.

I wish them success. If finding and exploiting the commercial use of space spurs development then I am all for it. After the moon landings in the late 60's early 70's...no development of the moon! Nothing! Nada! If we have to wait for governments to develop the will to continue to develop space, or for the majority of our society to see the worth of developing space, then we will just have more of the same lack of action.

The only time our government gets motivated is when some other nation decides to do something.....

I want men and women to go back to the moon, and men and women to go to Mars...then to the stars!

I have been following this on and off. Burt Rutan is quite the pioneer. I hope that they are sucessful. As much as I like and even admire the folks at NASA, I believe a private venture like this can be a win-win scenario for all. :theking:

Alterego.

If you're out there reading this thread, remember some 14 months ago I mentioned the scaled.com site which first told us about the new craft. You thought then it may have been a "naughty" site. See, I'm not a naughty boy! :clap:

Alterego.

If you're out there reading this thread, remember some 14 months ago I mentioned the scaled.com site which first told us about the new craft. You thought then it may have been a "naughty" site. See, I'm not a naughty boy! :clap:

I said: "... The site link sounds like it might be kinda hot there :huh: ..." but I don't remember exactly why I said that. The link you provided wasn't a hyper-link, just the words "www.scaled.com". I might've misread you to mean 'scalded', (as in burned with hot water.) Sorry :clap: for any confusion I may have caused you over the last 14 months. :o

CONGRATULATIONS to all the team who worked on making todays historical flight possible!

Yeah. I heard about that on the news. I wonder how they got over the challenge of the weight of the lead needed to protect against the radiation up there.

Oh well. Congats to the team!!!!!!!!

:clap:

Test pilot Mike Melvill landed at Mojave Airport, about 80 miles north of Los Angeles, California, after taking the rocket plane SpaceShipOne to an altitude of more than 100 kilometers (62.5 miles) -- the internationally recognized boundary of space.

Melvill told reporters he had "a h-ll of a view from 62 miles."

"The colors were pretty staggering from up there," he said.

"Looking from the Earth up there, you know, it's almost a religious experience. It's an awesome thing to see. You can see the curvature of the Earth. I could see all the way out, way out past the islands off the coast of Los Angeles."

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I am glad that this kind of thing is now out of the government funding perview. perhaps the budget for this stuff won't be slasshed every year, but rather increased

He's on top of the world!!!!!

vert.pilot.landing.ap.jpg

he is one of the few that can say that for sure!

I was very happy to hear about this! I think the way things are right now in the US, private sector space travel might be the best (or only) way to go!

Congrats to everyone involved in this project! :flex:

It is great news. It opens so many possibilities. The only way to create a space exploration boom is to put it in the hands of individuals (not government). If the private sector can (in the long-run) create reasonably priced space tourism, then that will create a space exploration boom. And when that happens (hopefully in a decade or two) then I'm going up!

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Yeah i watched a program on the discovery channel not to long ago all abut the x-prise,it was a intresting program and i will be watching for more info on it.

Lets hope it all goes well :laugh:

Edited by hangon