Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Stand Alone Or Continuity?

Would you rather to be able to pick any episode and watch it without needing to know what happened in the previous episode or do you the like the season long arc thing? Or both?

Edited by Jeanway

I have to say that I like both. A nice one shot episode is good but I also like following a good story arc from episode to episode. I think a really good writing team could do both maybe. I mean have episodes that you can watch alone without having seen the others but still enjoy and at the same time have something there for the diehard viewers who watch every week. I think DS9 did a very good job if this with it's Dominion storylines and I think Enterprise has done a good job of that this last season.

Does anyone think the arcs between Series is clear? I mean the timeline and references to other series? I find it kind of vague at most. Do you think there is a way to clean it up? How?

A little bit of both...I prefer stand alones, but a little bit of a continuing thread helps to tie the series together. Voyager was about the perfect mix IMHO. It had a lot of stand alones, but they did tie in a lot of old plots like species 8472 and the Borg and stuff

Both. Season 3 of Enterprise was a mix of the arc and the free standing epiosdes. it would have been unbearable if it was all just the arc, and every episode a clifff-hanger.

The very first episode I ever saw of Farscape was part of an arc and it made absolutely no sense to me. It kind of turned me off on the show until I was able to watch it from the very beginning. I think that arc episodes can hurt a show's chances of drawing in more people if you have to have seen the rest of the arc in order for the story to make any sense. Take the X-Files, I followed it for a while then I didn't watch for a few months and when I tried to watch it again nothing made any sense to me.

I like the arc when we don't have to wait 4 months to see what happens.

The arcs to me are a little on the soap operaish side, but there ok if they aren't dragged out for too long. I really perfer the stand alone type episodes like those in TOS and TNG

I Like A Good Mix Of Both And DS9 Pulled This Off Beautifully. :clap:

So Did Voyager.

And Even TNG Had A Slight Arc. The Whole Klingon/Romulan/Worf/Duras Thing.

Depends on the story. Often during the later (pre-ENT) series GREAT stories were wrapped up in a single episode thus wasting much potential. (Come to think of it, that happened during season 1 & 2 of ENT also.)

However I don't wish to see a repeat of the Xindi arc, although it was a good arc it was too long imo. Two or three episode arcs intermixed with stand-alone episodes (as the producers have promised for season 4 of ENT) should make for a fun next season.

I like stand alone episodes with some sort of continuity.

I like the standalone and the arc kind of episodes. In some ways like the standalne type especially when you may have missed some of the previous episodes. in that sense you may be lost on what was going on.

I am glad that all tv series in general have more continuity than in previous times and an occasional arc may be okay But in general I tend to avoid any tv series that I have to watch every week to keep up. (I watched 24 when I rented the entire first season on dvd)

The Xindi story might have been okay if it was about 12 episodes. Truly great writing is when you can have stand alone stories that are part of a longer arc. I think someone mentioned how the Stargate teams are always fighting the Gao'uld but they have missions to planets that are totally unrelated to this major plot line.

Basically, if I have to watch every week I probably won't watch at all.

Good question...Jeanway.....I like both....the arc in ENT was great...I loved

it, I thought most of the episodes were stand alone episodes you could

enjoy even if you weren't following the arc......I truly beleive that some of

ST best episodes are 3rd year ENT.... :(