Sign in to follow this  
stoned_vulcan

Essay Writing

okay i heard a man from one of hte Toronto Universities talking about new students comming into the skool not being properly told how to write an essay, i just wanted to ask this question how many of you people on this board were properly told to write an essay in proper format, assending points of inportants, topic sentences and paragraphs and such? apperantly many students no longer have the ability or knowledge how to write an essay i know my Geography teacher told us to, my eng hasnt though, so i wanted to know do you guys and gals properly know how and were were you taught from a teacher?

I heard how to "properly" write an essay, and i think it's a buncha bull. I can write just fine, it's a lot of others that need to be taught how to write, and i'm not talking with essays either, i mean just nice and CLEAR writing. :eekout: Btw, as long as you know how to write a few paragraphs smoothly you're fine :waaaa:.

HMMM, come to think of it, I was never told how to write an essay either. :waaaa: Interesting question. Maybe I should look into this. :waaaa::eekout:

Stardate:214296.9

Around the begginning of this semester we spent a little over a month on writing essays and doing a research paper.Our english teachers stress it alot because we have to know how to do it for our senior pordject where we have to write a 10 page(minimum) paper and a reflection paper.

I believe my teacher called it "MLA format" im not sure though

I was taught how to write an essay. I learned ion Middle school. they had us write a 5 paragraph essay in 6th grade. it was about a pet, but it was an introduction to essay writting. considering that I was in the 6th grade a long time ago, standards could have changed.

In junior high school (similar to middle school) we were taught how to write essays. Plus they made us practice writing essays in class timed. But this was back in the early 1970's, before many on this site were born.

In junior high school (similar to middle school) we were taught how to write essays. Plus they made us practice writing essays in class timed. But this was back in the early 1970's, before many on this site were born.

They still do that now...

Yeah, Com. Harrkim and I go to the same school and we are taught to write essays.....

I've always wondered why they teach how to write an essay in history not english...

Yeah, Com. Harrkim and I go to the same school and we are taught to write essays.....

I've always wondered why they teach how to write an essay in history not english...

Agreed...

Harrkim?!?!?! What was that, WarBog???

Edited by Commodore -Harry Kim-

I was told a long time ago. Now it's just expected that we know since we have been taught it so many times. I like to stray a little from the format sometimes just to be original.

I was taught how to write a full length term paper with quotes, introductions, topic sentences, body paragraphs, and a conclusion when I was a sophmore in high school. I am forever indebted to that teacher for instilling in my brain the proper way to write a term paper. The it was reiterated my senior year and again my freshman year of college. From that point on I rarely ever got anything less then an A- on any written paper. It was great and I'm glad they taught me the basics because it was one of the most important things I ever learned how to do as a student.

We were, and I really think it's a bunch of bull. I mean with all that spacing and title page and crap that isn't needed it only wastes paper.

i had to write a ten page research paper this year (my sophmore year) and i had to learn all the format and such. i have also learned how to write a anylitical essay and a 5 paragraph essay. i have yet to learn how to spell. <_<

but i think it is a worthless skill. how many times is your boss gonna ask for a essay on this years cuts in production sector 17? all it teachs you is how to get through school and college, not real life.

We were, and I really think it's a bunch of bull. I mean with all that spacing and title page and crap that isn't needed it only wastes paper.

you ever tried to read a 2 page paper that has .5 inch margins, 10 pt. font, and single spacing in Times New Roman? It sucks. 1.25" margins, with 12 pt. Font with Double spacing might be a waste of paper, but it is soo much easier to read.

Well papers must have the double space, times new roman, 1" margins, and 12 point font in College

depends on the professor, WAB. All my professors let me do Courier New. one said anything other than Wingdings or Comic Sans. but Courier is easier to read.

this is Courier. Every letter has equal space. an I has the same space as an H.

i had to write a ten page research paper this year (my sophmore year) and i had to learn all the format and such. i have also learned how to write a anylitical essay and a 5 paragraph essay. i have yet to learn how to spell. <_<

but i think it is a worthless skill. how many times is your boss gonna ask for a essay on this years cuts in production sector 17? all it teachs you is how to get through school and college, not real life.

I'm going to disagree but I guess it depends on what you consider the essence of essay writing. If all you're talking about is format then it doesn't really matter. However, you would be amazed at how many people in the work world can't write clearly and coherently.

One thing you learn from writing essays is how to organize your thoughts. And if the boss wants a report you need to be able to state quite clearly where things stand, what you've accomplished, justifications (if any) for shortfalls, and how you've already implented a plan to bring improvements in the next quarter.

QUOTE (bearded ape @ May 26 2004, 01:25 PM)

i had to write a ten page research paper this year (my sophmore year) and i had to learn all the format and such. i have also learned how to write a anylitical essay and a 5 paragraph essay. i have yet to learn how to spell. 

I'm going to disagree but I guess it depends on what you consider the essence of essay writing. If all you're talking about is format then it doesn't really matter. However, you would be amazed at how many people in the work world can't write clearly and coherently.

One thing you learn from writing essays is how to organize your thoughts. And if the boss wants a report you need to be able to state quite clearly where things stand, what you've accomplished, justifications (if any) for shortfalls, and how you've already implented a plan to bring improvements in the next quarter.

i was talking about the format yes. i think learing how to write a straight forward report would be a valuble skill, though. but they dont teach that in english (or any of the english classes i have been in anyway, and i am in honors)

i had to write a ten page research paper this year (my sophmore year) and i had to learn all the format and such. i have also learned how to write a anylitical essay and a 5 paragraph essay. i have yet to learn how to spell. :(

I wrote a nine page research paper about a month ago...

It was supposed to 7 pages max :(

those 9 pages don't include the 2 page bibliography and the title page

Writing essays prepares you for writing reports when you get older. Get this, if you want to be a Helicopter pilot in the Army, one of the requirements for acceptance into the Warrant Officer Flight Training program is that you have to write a 1 page, hand written paper, with only a dictionary for assistance. this requirement is the same for Civilians and those already in the Army trying to get in. I have to write Evaluation reports for my subordinates, I have two Ensigns that I have to write them for. Odie, Doc Neil, VBG, KM, and AE know what I'm talking about. I have those two officers' careers in my hands, and it doesn't reflect well on ME or THEM if I write a poorly written Eval.