Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

The Da Vinci Code

I just finished reading "The DaVinci Code" and I thought it was pretty dumb. Am I just dumb, or did anyone else have the same problem with it?

It wasn't very well written, I found it tedious toward the end, quite predictable really. As "thrillers" go it was mediocre at best. Dan Brown (author) is certainly no Scott Turow or even John Grisham. Heck, he's not even Michael Crichton, who's had more misfires than hits with me.

My biggest problem with The DaVinci Code is really bothering me, because I am pretty tolerant of other religions and viewpoints. I've generally rolled my eyes at anyone using the term "blasphemy," probably because I'd never truly encountered a bona fide incident of blasphemy. I have now.

I feel guilty even having this book in my home. And I feel stupid for feeling that way. It's just a book.

Did anyone else have a problem like this?

Actually I have read this book along with "Angels and Demons" and I found both very thought provoking. Dan Brown did do a lot of research before writing both books. I found both to be good reads.

But this is the opinion of one man alone.

:eekout:

I thought it was very blasphemous towards my God. (I'm a Christian...)

It suggested that our Lord had an affair.

There is no evidence to prove it.

If da Vinci believed something, it doesn't mean it's true...

I have no plans to read it - from what I've read he takes generous liberties with poetic license - and apparently some readers think it is factual rather than a work of fiction - just like they do "historical" movies

I have no plans to read it - from what I've read he takes generous liberties with poetic license - and apparently some readers think it is factual rather than a work of fiction - just like they do "historical" movies

You should read it just so you'll know what this moron has put out there as fact. I am not a fundamentalist Christian by any means, but the license Brown has taken with the "research" done by ultra-feminists and folks who are busy grinding axes with the Catholic Church is just mind-boggling.

I worry about the folks who've read The Da Vinci Code and never read the Bible.

You should read it just so you'll know what this moron has put out there as fact. I am not a fundamentalist Christian by any means, but the license Brown has taken with the "research" done by ultra-feminists and folks who are busy grinding axes with the Catholic Church is just mind-boggling.

I worry about the folks who've read The Da Vinci Code and never read the Bible.

I've read the book. It was not the best book that I have read. For me it was too predictable and lots of lose threads. I am doing research on the information that the book has in it. I have found a book on Da Vinci and his beliefs . So far the info in the book is correct.

I've read it, and I really enjoyed it, but that could be due to the fact that I'm not a Christian. It offered a point of view and opinion that I had never thought of before, and I always enjoy learning about others' ideas and thoughts, even if I totally disagree with them.

I haven't read this book but with all the hubbub maybe I will. Hey at least all this controversy is making someone rich, it ain't me but someone's cashing in. :rolleyes:

But the problem is that the Gnostic gospels are the only evidence of Jesus's supposed marriage...

The Gnostic gospels are to fragmented fo read...

they have a word inserted every other word...

It's because the mauscript is incomplete..

It took me forever to get hooked into this book. I read it because it was a gift, but I wasn't too impressed. I like a good conspiracy theory, but I had to tell my husband to not even bother to start it because he's Catholic and might have gotten offended.

I've heard that some of Dan Brown's other work is good, but I'm not running out to the bookstore to find out!

I read it in 2 days Because i need to for school mainly because i i procrastinated until 3 days before a giant report was due. All in all i liked it as a total work of fiction but you are right i felt super guilty enjoying the book because of how they basically said Jesus was just a guy. and that he was married and all this other crap. Point is Da Vinchi himself some say was crazy so you really can't assume anything from a few painings he did. The ending was also terriable as well i hated who the Teacher Turned out to be the nice kindly old knight that made me mad he reminded me of mr.pitt from seinfeld and if you know mr.pitt then you can't see him holding a gun or killing anyone. My advise If you are not a Christian with firm a strong Faith do not read this book. In my Opinion although a good story it is turning people away From Jesus and should be taken off Shelves but thats my opinion.