Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Generations

Generations was an ok movie. We saw the Enterprise B. Had a revamped Enterprise. Saw a saucer separation and a crash landing. And well... that was bout it. Apart from that, to me, it was no more than a really good 'episode'. Data was a jerk 9not his fault, but still interesting) but much else seemed the same old on the show. When First Contact came along, this was big screen action for me. It was brilliant! New ship, uniforms, action, intigue, excellent nemesis, etc etc. Generations? Overall not bad. But not exactly a big screen block buster! K

I need to watch it again. I saw in theaters and once on video so it's been quite a few years... so I'm going to watch it again with a fresh opinion.

The first 8 or 9 times I watched it I liked it. It was a good theater film imo and I was relieved NG made to the big screen, it put a lot of "no more big screen films" thoughts I had had to rest. If I were to view it today, I would watch it up to the point just after Picard enters the Nexus then fast forward to the time He and Kirk come out and take on Soran, there in between, is the only part of the film I get tired of rewatching. I look forward to a special edition or better, a Director’s Edition, which reinstates the deleted scenes; I want to see Kirk skydive from orbit!

I loved this movie! We finally get to see the Enterprise-B and even get to see that Kirk was on the ship! Kirk's last official act was saving the Enterprise-B from iminent distruction. Guinnan has a large role which was a surprise. The movie is set right after the series, so to me, it felt like the series, except on the big screen, kinda like The X Files movie! I also loved finally seeing the Enterprise taking a beating and actually getting some battle damage, allthough I was sad to see it get destroyed. Man oh man, that saucer crash gave me goose bumps! B) I absolutely loved the whole Nexus part, from Picard and his "perfect family" to Guinnan, and finally a horse chase after Kirk! :laugh:

Sure, a lot of fans thought it felt like a tv episode, but for me, it was just as good as any of the movies! :laugh:

I felt "let down" by Generations myself, and not simply because of the death of James T Kirk. When I first heard that they were making a TNG/TOS crossover, I had great expectations. I pictured the Enterprise A being drawn through a time warp and coming across the Enterprise D. Picard meeting Kirk! Spock meeting Data, and both of them driving McCoy nuts! Kirk and Riker competing for the girl! I was excited! What did I get? Kirk and Picard beating up the bad guy and Kirk getting killed by falling off a cliff!!! It was a big letdown.

Eh, you're expectations were set too high... B)

When I went into the theaters, here's what I expected:

Picard and Kirk

KLINGONS!

Enterprise-D in big space battle (I didn't expect it to crash! :laugh: )

Well... yeah, those were my only expectations. I just went in, looking for an excellent TNG movie with Kirk and Klingons, and that's what I got! :laugh:

I liked Generations. It wasn't as good as First Contact, but I thought it was a good movie.

A whole lot better then the last two. :laugh:

Well, as Generations was one of the first ST things I ever saw (when I still hated, or was just beginning not to hate to show), so my expectations were, if anything, for it to be "crappy and nowhere near as good as Star Wars" - which doesn't seem THAT great to me anymore, now...but anyways - so I really quite liked the movie although I must say I was a little scared of Data (not LITERALLY...and besides, I had already seen him in those other eps I mentioned), but I didn't even know who Kirk WAS, so...I have to say I quite liked it. Maybe not the best Trek film, but certainly not the worst.

It was a toss up...Generations may have made a better TV movie...but, then again maybe it was better on the screen we all saw it on. I saw it on Sci-Fi a few times, and let me tell you...it is a heck of a lot better on DVD and when I saw it at the theater(Generations is last on my TNG movie list)

And as much as I love Data, there are still times I just want to loudly say "Enough already!" I know he was just figuring out emotions....but he needed to take a break now and then!!(Like the scene in Stellar Cartography....that was an excellent scene!!,,,,Nah! I would never yell at/about him like that--the "Enough already!" part...couldn't make me...even with the scene in the Observatory)

I loved the stellar cartography scene. The scene in Peak Performance kind of reminded me of it (and guess who was worried about him? Good ol' Dr. Pulanski the Data-hater. haha, ya right! :laugh:)

I thought it was a good quality film. The effects were good and the plot was... So So. I just hate the fact that they felt that Capt. Kirk had to die. I didn't exactly like how he died either. But overall it was a good movie. I liked it a lot more than Insurrection.

I felt "let down" by Generations myself, and not simply because of the death of James T Kirk.  When I first heard that they were making a TNG/TOS crossover, I had great expectations.  I pictured the Enterprise A being drawn through a time warp and coming across the Enterprise D.  Picard meeting Kirk!  Spock meeting Data, and both of them driving McCoy nuts!  Kirk and Riker competing for the girl!  I was excited!  What did I get?  Kirk and Picard beating up the bad guy and Kirk getting killed by falling off a cliff!!!  It was a big letdown.

I agree. And Captain etc. I dont think you can ever have too high an expectation when it comes to Star Trek.

I felt "let down" by Generations myself, and not simply because of the death of James T Kirk.  When I first heard that they were making a TNG/TOS crossover, I had great expectations.  I pictured the Enterprise A being drawn through a time warp and coming across the Enterprise D.  Picard meeting Kirk!  Spock meeting Data, and both of them driving McCoy nuts!  Kirk and Riker competing for the girl!  I was excited!  What did I get?  Kirk and Picard beating up the bad guy and Kirk getting killed by falling off a cliff!!!  It was a big letdown.

I know I may be being completely Troi for a moment, by stating the obvious...Data DID meet BOTH Spock(Reunification Part I & II) and McCoy(Encounter at Farpoint)..

I know I may be being completely Troi for a moment, by stating the obvious...Data DID meet BOTH Spock(Reunification Part I & II) and McCoy(Encounter at Farpoint)..

Yeah but not all together. The three of them together would have been great! :lol: :angry:

Yeah but not all together. The three of them together would have been great! :D :angry:

Point taken.... :lol:

I was disappointed with Kirks "death" not very Dramatic, I mean the man that killed him was a douche, come on, good thing Kirk and Picard are Immortal cause they will be living forever in the Nexus

It seems like comparing Generations and First Contact is like comparing The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan. The first movies were just basically to set the stage for a big screen presence. The second movies were action and story.

The only real "beefs" I had with Generations were as follows:

1.) Who the heck was that woman Picard was "married" to in the Nexxus? Shouldn't we have seen Picard fantasizing about what could have been with Beverly??? In "All Good Things" we saw that they had been married and subsequently divorced ... it made no sense whatsoever to have Picard married to some chick in Victorian garb when we had spent the past seven years watching him tiptoeing around his feelings for Dr. Crusher and vice versa. Stupid.

2.) Who the heck was that woman that Kirk was living with in the Nexxus? It would have been such a nice touch and homage to the original series/movies if they had made Kirk's Nexxus relationship with Dr. Carol Markuson (sp?). They shared a son who was killed for pete's sake! Don't you think that Kirk's "might have been" should have included the mother of his son David? Stupid.

I think it was to see what life would of been without starfleet, and without starfleet they would of never meet those 2 women

I'm sure Kirk probably had more kids than just David. Hes just the one he found out about. As for Picard, that woman was the centerfold in one of the dozens of Oui magazines that he keeps under his bunk...............................

The only real "beefs" I had with Generations were as follows:

1.) Who the heck was that woman Picard was "married" to in the Nexxus?  Shouldn't we have seen Picard fantasizing about what could have been with Beverly???  In "All Good Things" we saw that they had been married and subsequently divorced ... it made no sense whatsoever to have Picard married to some chick in Victorian garb when we had spent the past seven years watching him tiptoeing around his feelings for Dr. Crusher and vice versa.  Stupid.

2.) Who the heck was that woman that Kirk was living with in the Nexxus?  It would have been such a nice touch and homage to the original series/movies if they had made Kirk's Nexxus relationship with Dr. Carol Markuson (sp?).  They shared a son who was killed for pete's sake!  Don't you think that Kirk's "might have been" should have included the mother of his son David?  Stupid.

316726[/snapback]

No idea how they came up with the woman to be Picard's wife in the Nexus. I, for one, would have HATED if it had been Beverly Crusher in the Nexus. I HATE the idea of Picard and Crusher together.

Regarding Kirk, the woman in the Nexus was Shatner's idea from what I've read.

I was more upset with the deaths of Lursa and B'Etor than Kirk's.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I liked 'Generations', thought it was a good film, not as good as 'First Contact' but still an enjoyable movie.

I thought Generations was a fairly good transitional film for TNG series and a cameo by Shatner aka Kirk to pass the torch on Trek film Legacy so to speak to TNG was done pretty ok but could have had some minor improvements to it.

:flowers::inlove::inlove::inlove:

I've always thought both those women represented Kirks and Picards "true loves".

317119[/snapback]

Could be but I think the problem some have is that these "true loves" were women we didn't know. They wanted them to be someone we had already been introduced to.

I loved Generations. It was a transitional piece all and all, but it was a great movie in my book. I have to admit that I was really surprised to see Lursa and B'Etor get offed. They had become a fun fixture in the whole TNG world. You knew that whenever the two of them turned up trouble was afoot.

I liked Lursa and B'Etor to but I never thought that they should have been responsible for the destruction the the Enterprise-D.

I just got the Special Edition on DVD today when I get a Chance to watch it I will tell ya what I think of the DVD