Sign in to follow this  
headborg

Discuss "point Defense" Weapons Batterie Setup

By definition, a point defense weapon is a close in system for dealing with missiles and small craft. on 20th/21st century American ships, such a system exists, known as the Phalanx CWIS (Pronounced See-Wizz). it's a radar controlled, self operating 20mm M61A1 gattling gun. the system can track and engage enemy aircraft or missiles by itself. in the Star Trek universe, such weapons could be a type IV or type V phaser, or microquantum torpedo launcher, set to defend against micrometeorites of shuttle craft, or even torpedoes.

If memory serves, I think it was point-defense phasers...

I think type V

The best I can do is my 'STAR TREK' remote for my t.v. :P :lol: It IS phaserlike :P ;) Good to see ya, my friend. :bow:

You know one thing i've been wondering lately, why aren't there any multi-barrel turrets in star trek? Surely they could up the offensive capability on the Intrepid by, say, equipping it with a 6 barrel phase-cannon-turret? :tear: (the intrepid is the "mini-NX class" seen in a couple of eps, and has been said on DITL to be the destroyer to the NX's cruiser, so to speak)

hay that's a great idea-how about a phalanx phasor? sort of a "gray ghost" or "puff the majic dragon" starship/gunship in the Federation-something like the Defient- with cloaking technology...that can sneak up on it's target......then open up with gatlin phasors and drop "cloaked photon mines" off the stern!

Headborg, i came up with the idea mainly because of the lack of high powered particle weaponry in Enterprise's time period, not for something like the defiant/et al (although something similar COULD be used in the future).

being the up and coming weapons designer that I am, here is a picture of what such a weapon might look like frontal and side.

post-10-1085382966.jpg

You know one thing i've been wondering lately, why aren't there any multi-barrel turrets in star trek? Surely they could up the offensive capability on the Intrepid by, say, equipping it with a 6 barrel phase-cannon-turret? :eekout: (the intrepid is the "mini-NX class" seen in a couple of eps, and has been said on DITL to be the destroyer to the NX's cruiser, so to speak)

alot on the ditl for the enterprise era doesn't sound right to me for some reason...

I've always found it to be excellent for the rest of the Serieses but not ENT..

Wab, i was using it as a reference as it seemed like a sound determination. Anyways, jim, i see it on something more like a structurally strengthened version of what the mount the phase cannons use, but restricted to 180-degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically as a result of a strengthened mount. Besides, people might misinterpret your version as a 22nd century version of the TMP phasers and thus more "knock off-ish" within the show :eekout:.

Headborg, i came up with the idea mainly because of the lack of high powered particle weaponry in Enterprise's time period, not for something like the defiant/et al (although something similar COULD be used in the future).

Ok...lose the cloaking and the mine laying... sure....the Humans will need all the guns they can get for the upcoming Romulan War...gunships will be great during "enterprise" time....how about for StarBase defense? wouldn't they work great there? And they will be great for "Sweeping Space" to detect Cloaked ships!

How soon can U turn out...o..say 1000 of them...big contract order! And a mini one for the MACOs type-4 personal mini-gun phasor/ Terminator inspired!

Edited by headborg

Well, being as i'm a 20-something with no job and little money i couldn't do much besides give some specs on the concept now could i?

the thing is that the romulans can't fire cloaked...

someone better remind B&B that....you know the Romulans arnt even suppose to have cloaking in 2154 according to the other shows(TOS) TNG....Worf said phasors were in use until 2200, and photon torpedos, transporters, replicators arnt suppose to be there either! It wouldn't suprise me if u find Romulan "warbirds" and "cruisers"

the thing is that the romulans can't fire cloaked...

someone better remind B&B that....you know the Romulans arnt even suppose to have cloaking in 2154 according to the other shows(TOS) TNG....Worf said phasors were in use until 2200, and photon torpedos, transporters, replicators arnt suppose to be there either! It wouldn't suprise me if u find Romulan "warbirds" and "cruisers"

Regarding the cloaking device, i think a very good point is made on this site: http://www.starfleetcom.net/misc6.htm . On the topic of phasers, i think it's a simple matter of people getting tired of saying "phase pistol/cannon" etc all the time and they switched to calling them lasers for simplicities sake (this sort of thing has happened in real life). Enterprise doesn't use replicators, it uses protein resequencers, which use proteins that are stored somewhere to synthesize basic foods, such as eggs or bacon or simple drinks. I think the reference to the earliest transporter simply tells about a problem that is discovered in them, not about them being the first types. So basically the only thing i agree on are the photon torpedos (photonic torpedoes, talk about a pathetic way to hide a serious continuity error). And btw, i didn't care for the "more advanced" look of the romulan bop's we saw in an early ep if that makes you happier :(.