Sign in to follow this  
MoulinRouge

Variety Says Ent Likely Not To Return

I'd love to say it's an unreliable source but the fact of the matter is it's not. Variety is usally right in its prognostications about 99.9% of the time where the fate of television programs are concerned. Sci-fi has no room for ENT now that it's purchased all rights to SG-1.

It's over. :flowers:

From Variety

Frog, UPN face season of challenges, Advice For Netlets: Get More Dramatic

By RICK KISSELL

UPN

Net has something working with its African-American comedies on Monday and Tuesday, and appears to have a viable franchise reality player in "America's Next Top Model," but now it needs to turn its attention to drama.

And that's where most of the attention is focused heading into the fall, as UPN looks for a pair of dramas that could provide a boost to Wednesday, where "Star Trek: Enterprise" is really struggling and likely will not return.

It would be tough to launch two new hours on one night, but the net needs to find a compatible pair among its drama pilots, which include the light, supernatural-tinged "Silver Lake," the lesbian P.I. duo of "Nikki & Nora" and the legal/family tale "Kevin Hill," starring Taye Diggs.

On the comedy front, "The Parkers" ended its successful five-year run this month and could be replaced on Monday by a "One on One" spinoff. Another high-profile entry is "The Bad Girl's Guide," starring Jenny McCarthy.

Until the net gets something going on Wednesday, don't look for it to spend too much energy on Friday, where movies could return. Wrestling's "WWE Smackdown" will be back on Thursdays.

Bottom line: "Top Model" rescued UPN this season, but the net won't be a consistent player until it adds a signature Wednesday drama.

Date in print: Mon., May 10, 2004,

I wish it weren't true, but it is. sigh. ENT should have revitalized the Trek franchise. Darn it, it should have been a rebirth. It should have been beyond popular. I am really, really depressed. Variety is never wrong folks. I suggest you avoid the main boards. The bashers are going to be rubbing it in and crowing like they're in paradise.

It's not over. This is nothing more than rumor. I'll wait till StarTrek.com announces cancellation. If this happens, we can begin a letter writing campaign, asking Paramount Pictures to shop the show onto another network or into syndication. It's not likely that SCI-FI will buy ENT due to the network developing Stargate: Atlantis and putting a lot of money into both that and Stargate SG-1, but it is possible that SCI-FI might want ENT as a replacement for SG-1. It's also possible for ENT to go into syndication.

My point is, it's not over. If fans can get a third season for the original series and a revival via the first movie, then surely they can due a third campaign and save Enterprise. :unsure: It won't end unless we let it end. :flowers:

I think the problem Variety has is that Enterprise is Sci-Fi, not Reality or Pop culture like the other UPN programming. they also fail to realise, the people who DO watch Enterprise are the smart people. MIT students and Grads, etc. Ratings aren't everything. sometimes Demographics count for a bit.

Stardate:214355.9

Im with CJLP.I dont care if this Variety is 99.99% correct.I wont believe a damn thing till I see an official announcement on Startrek.com :flowers:

You know, if paramount had at least kicked berman out and gotten someone in to head the show who LISTENED to the fans half the time this wouldn't even be an issue, what we need to do is fax (i say fax because emails can be disregarded too easily :flowers: ) them and say berman has GOT to go for the sake of Enterprise!!! Now, can anyone help me figure out how to do that with my comp? :unsure:

Did Scifi say they didn't have room for it? They just had some turkey of a series on for about two weeks and dropped it so they should have an open spot. Although Scifi is hard to figure - sometimes they do terrific work and sometimes they do terrrible work

UPN was the worst thing to happen to Star trek.

Damn u Berman and UPN, DAMN U ALL TO HELL!!!

<---------------------------watch Andromeda on Scifi channel Friday's and Wednesday

If Ent goes down i suggest looking for another series to like Im putting mu money on Andromeda, SG and that are to succesful to be my liking

at least i have my re-runs of Ds9 ,Voy and TNG

Its all good :flowers:(Even though i hated it ..Its still Trek...and i'm sad to see UPN giving up on it)

UPN will announce their official lineup on May 20th in New York. So I guess we'll know then...won't we.

AHHHHH PPHHTT!!! :flowers: WHAT DO THEY KNOW ANYWAY? :: THROWS UP HANDS, WALKS OUT THE DOOR, SLAMMING IT BEHIND HER:: :unsure:

::OPENS DOOR AND SLAPS IT HARDER THAN JEANWAY DID::

" DON,T SLAP WITH THE DOORS INHERE WILL YOU?"

::JEANWAY COMES RUNNING BACK IN TO SEE WHAT ALL THE NOISE IS ABOUT:: '

" OH IT'S JUST YOU TWO, AGAIN" :flowers: :: THINKS, WOW, THE BANDWAGON EFFECT IS REALLY TAKING OVER THIS THREAD, FROM A DIFFERENT THREAD TOO????:: :unsure:

Edited by Jeanway

see jeanway running back in her towell :flowers:

nah i'm tossing annoying members off the cliff or the deck for fun again...NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

Just another news report that's saying something contradictory to something else. It's not over until we know on May 20th.

I guess I'll be watching very little television in the fall.....I'll probably get more of the season sets. And there is no point to buying a new television ( was planning to buy a nice one), because I am not willing to get cable and Enterprise was the only trek on network television.

I'm not giving up on Enterprise so easily. Let's everybody relax and wait until the official word comes down on May 20th. Even if it is cancelled there are still other options like syndication or another network like CJLP suggests..So let's all just wait until May 20th before we push the panic button..

310-575-7000

That's the UPN number that has set up the voice mailbox for ENT specifically. Just ask for the mailbox if a person answers the phone. On a voice prompt I believe it's #3. Leave your message. Tell them that if ENT is cancelled you have no reason to turn on UPN in your home. I did.

There's only two people to write to who can make a difference at this point.

Mr. Garrett Hart

President

Paramout Television

5555 Melrose Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90038-3112

Paramount is bigger than UPN. Hart is Bakula's friend. He's the only suit to have expressed positive support in print, and it's in Paramount's financial interest to keep Trek viable. Write him a paragraph saying you enjoy it and that you'd follow it into syndication or another network. Say thank you. That's all you have to do. I'd rather know that I wrote a letter and did something if the worst comes to pass than wonder if my letter (and the letters of many others who thought "it's just one letter") could have made a differnce.

The other, according to Bakula, is Les Moonves who owns CBS that runs UPN.

Mr. Leslie Moonves

President and CEO

CBS Television

CBS Television City

7800 Beverly Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90036-2112

Can you write two letters? It might help. E-mails won't. I promise.

You know, if paramount had at least kicked berman out and gotten someone in to head the show who LISTENED to the fans half the time this wouldn't even be an issue

Berman does listen, and if they got someone else to head the franchise, we'd likely get an abandonment of continuity, 20-year-old's for the crew, and kewl special effects, and I doubt this new heard would care about the fans. :naughty:

what we need to do is fax (i say fax because emails can be disregarded too easily :bow: ) them and say berman has GOT to go for the sake of Enterprise!!!

How about keep quiet, watch the show, and advertise it all your worth? That might help too.

Now, can anyone help me figure out how to do that with my comp? :bow:

Sorry, not gonna help you ruin Trek. :P

Damn u Berman and UPN, DAMN U ALL TO HELL!!!

<---------------------------watch Andromeda on Scifi channel Friday's and            Wednesday

If Ent goes down i suggest looking for another series to like Im putting mu money on Andromeda, SG and that are to succesful to be my liking

If Enterprise gets cancelled, it will be UPN's fault, not Berman's. Wether or not he's a good producer, he is trying. As for Andromeda, didn't it get cancelled? :naughty:

I'm beginning to think it would be better if UPN does cancel Enterprise and then Enterprise could move into syndication or onto another network (I think NBC would be a good choice as they were interested in acquiring Enterprise initially and they will have some gaps in their line up. I could see Enterprise moving on to CBS since its run by the same man as UPN). Of course, I still think syndication is the way to go.

If UPN doesn't want Enterprise then nuts to them. The show would get better ratings if they promoted it. I don't get UPN but I know that they don't do a very good job promoting it. Dominic Keating said himself that he think Enterprise gets good ratings for a show that is never promoted.

Hmm, maybe I should get the Recruit Training Command Stationary and write two letters...that would get their attention...

tsk, tsk, government property for personal purposes?? j/k