Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

The Meaning Of Life........

In one of my college classes we had an assignment. We had to tell everyone what we thought was the meaning of life. We had to write an essay then present it to the class. I sat there and listened as each student got up in front of the class and read their essays one by one. They talked about all their plans, the things they wanted, things they owned, trips they wanted to take, stuff like that. all pretty much the same. Then one of the students, a man, a kind of simple man, not a worldly person in most people's estimation, got up and read his essay. I was taken in totally by his simplicity. And in my opinion, he had explained very simply what all the others were trying to say. He said, now this isin't word for word but just the essence of what he said. Life to him was: a clean white shirt, a good meal, peacful sleep, good friends, not worrying too much, having enough of what he needed, and HOPE. He got an A for his essay, and it was the shortest presentation.

Is being able to do whatever you want,wenever you want with out hurting anyone else

I don't think there is a meaning of life.

Geeze-A-Loo Nem :) You O.K. Buddy?

Yeah I'm ok, I mean do we really need a "Meaning of life" to strive to make life better for people?

nem, haven't you ever wondered why we are all here? What is whole thing about? I mean, we all have a certain number of years to be here. Then we are gone. I mean, this life is a very precious thing. Ever think about the term " Your Lifetime"? Your time of life. How many years do you have? How many do you have left? What am I supposed to be doing with these years? Wasting them? Waiting for things to get better? Being confused. Being unhappy. Wondering why you were even born at all? I feel like I was a mistake. I shouldn't be here at all. I was told that my whole childhood. So what's my purpose here? I try to make a difference. Who's going to care when I die? Stuff like this, Nem. You can't tell me you haven't thought about any of this stuff, can you? :)

nem, haven't you ever wondered why we are all here?  What is  whole thing about? I mean, we all have a certain number of years to be here. Then we are gone. I mean, this life is a very precious thing. Ever think about the term " Your Lifetime"? Your time of life.  How many years do you have?  How many do you have left? What am I supposed to be doing with these years?  Wasting them? Waiting for things to get better? Being confused. Being unhappy. Wondering why you were even born at all? I feel like I was a mistake. I shouldn't be here at all. I was told that my whole childhood. So what's my purpose here? I try to make a difference. Who's going to care when I die? Stuff like this, Nem. You can't tell me you haven't thought about any of this stuff, can you? :)

Sure I have, I think everything was created through pure chance and cirrcumstance. This means there is no "Meaning of Life"

Well, if you feel that way, I'm Sorry. Maybe everyone else is wrong to think about it then. :)

there was a Faith Hill song about the Meaning of Life, wasn't there?

the meaning of life? I dunnow. I'm not a philosopher, just someone who's greatest ambition in his life was to be in the Military (Appearently, I've achieved this goal with some success.), so the meaning of MY life could simply be to serve. hey, that's it, Everyone's life has a different meaning. a different purpose.

nem, haven't you ever wondered why we are all here?  What is  whole thing about? I mean, we all have a certain number of years to be here. Then we are gone. I mean, this life is a very precious thing. Ever think about the term " Your Lifetime"? Your time of life.  How many years do you have?  How many do you have left? What am I supposed to be doing with these years?  Wasting them? Waiting for things to get better? Being confused. Being unhappy. Wondering why you were even born at all? I feel like I was a mistake. I shouldn't be here at all. I was told that my whole childhood. So what's my purpose here? I try to make a difference. Who's going to care when I die? Stuff like this, Nem. You can't tell me you haven't thought about any of this stuff, can you? :)

Sure I have, I think everything was created through pure chance and cirrcumstance. This means there is no "Meaning of Life"

That is pretty much what i think....

As described in the Douglas Adam novels of the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker trilogy of 5 novels, the universe is nonsensical....

I guess the meaning of life (besides the Monty Python movie... :)) is to try to make sense out it all, even though it seems an endless task...

Make due with what time we have in this reality, until we enter the next (or not...).

Enjoy the journey, and I think I would be misquoting the TV series Firefly: ''it's not about destination, it's about getting there....''

^Misquote from the Serenity's engineer Kaylee while on the planet Persephone at the Eavesdown Docks.... (Episode: Serenity, Part 1)lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Edited by drwho42

" IT'S A SAD, SAD SITUATION AND IT'S GETTING MORE AND MORE ABSURD" :)

Jeanway, have you ever read Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning"? A great book

I believe there is a purpose to this life but that may be some different from meaning because we each must find that which gives our own life meaning. But this is way too deep a topic for an empty tummy. I'll get back.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

UH, I'm reading ' The Purpose Driven Life ' right now and journalizing it.

UH, I'm reading ' The Purpose Driven Life ' right now and journalizing it.

I read that book. Not bad.

Alas, my weekly downward spiral has begun. :laugh: Nem, I've heard that " It all means nothing so just do whatever the h*ll you want, it doesn't matter anyway ".

Sometimes I feel that way. But it passes and I climb back up onto my optimisitic high horse and ride off into the sunset :laugh: GIDDY-UP! <_<

there is meaning to life, wether you believe it to be all chance and circumstance, nem, or deeper than that. each of our lives bring its own meaning to us as individuals. it is how we live, love, and generally portray ourselves to others. it is how we deal with everyday things, and things that arise unexpectedly. mostly i beleive it is an inner peace and tranquility thing, basically what we need, or want to be content. anything above that is gravy, but after all isnt good, good? after all things dont always have to be GREAT, OR SPECTACULAR be happy with GOOD. i know im still trying to find what i personally was put here for, but i am finding many things in the process of that search, so maybe, just maybe the meaning of life, is the journey we make from birth to death. so make the most of it.

...Is also a Monty Python movie

Next question!

What is the answer to the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe and Everything?

It's a number but I can't remember exacaty which one. It's in the 40's right? I'm gonna guess; 46.... From T.H.G.T.T.U.

BTW acorrding to curly the secret to life it this, holds up one finger. when asked what the one thing was, his reply was, you've gotta figure that out. CITY SLICKERS great movie. not exact quote but close enough. <_<

This discussion reminds of the search for “meaning” by one of history’s greatest scientists.

Perhaps some of you are familiar with Blaise Pascal, an early 17th century French mathematician. Those who have taken physics in school probably recognise his name attached to a unit of pressure. He also invented a digital calculator in his 20’s, taught himself geometry at age 12, when it was forbidden, conferred with Fermat, and is known for a host of other important discoveries.

Pascal reasoned that a belief in God was logical. In his latter years, he conferred with Fermat concerning what is known today as “Pascal’s Matrix” or “Pascal’s Wager.” Consider a table with two columns and two rows. Label the two columns “God exists” and “God does not exist” respectively. Label the two rows “Believe in God” and “Do not believe in God” respectively. Now, the cells in the matrix represent the consequences of the four possible combinations of belief and divine existence. Pascal reasoned the following four consequences:

1. Believe in God, God Exists – Eternal Reward; everything to gain.

2. Believe in God, God does not exist – Energy and time is expended believing

something unreal (How many of us do that anyway?).

3. Do not believe in God, God does not exist – Nothing gained, nothing lost, no

big deal.

4. Do not believe in God, God exists – Eternal Punishment; everything to lose.

Pascal reasoned that results 2 and 3 were really inconsequential, while results 1 and 4 bore ramifications of paramount importance. Stating to his friend Fermat that “ …. We are all constrained to gamble” Pascal ended his search for "meaning" by choosing to believe that the universe is orderly enough, fascinating enough, and beautiful enough to warrant the existence of some sort of divine creator.

Not too bad for a scientist…… What do y’all think?

" The light came through my window,

Straight from the Sun above.

And so inside my little room

There plunged the Rays of Love.

In streams of Light, I clearly saw,

The dust you seldom see.

All busy in the sunlight,

The flecks of dust they float and dance,

And I was tumbled up with them,

In Formless Circumstance."

Thank You Leonard, for this beautiful feeling. It's all about Love, LIFE it is, Yodess says <_<

Edited by Jeanway

...Is also a Monty Python movie

Next question!

What is the answer to the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe and Everything?

It's a number but I can't remember exacaty which one. It's in the 40's right? I'm gonna guess; 46.... From T.H.G.T.T.U.

<_< The answer is 42! :laugh:

Btw, it's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxylastresort.jpg42.gif

spin.gifThe Adventures of STF.net

This discussion reminds of the search for “meaning” by one of history’s greatest scientists.

Perhaps some of you are familiar with Blaise Pascal, an early 17th century French mathematician.  Those who have taken physics in school probably recognise his name attached to a unit of pressure.  He also invented a digital calculator in his 20’s, taught himself geometry at age 12, when it was forbidden, conferred with Fermat, and is known for a host of other important discoveries. 

Pascal reasoned that a belief in God was logical.  In his latter years, he conferred with Fermat concerning what is known today as “Pascal’s Matrix” or “Pascal’s Wager.”  Consider a table with two columns and two rows.  Label the two columns “God exists” and “God does not exist” respectively.  Label the two rows “Believe in God” and “Do not believe in God” respectively.  Now, the cells in the matrix represent the consequences of the four possible combinations of belief and divine existence.  Pascal reasoned the following four consequences:

1. Believe in God, God Exists – Eternal Reward; everything to gain.

2. Believe in God, God does not exist – Energy and time is expended believing

something unreal (How many of us do that anyway?).

3. Do not believe in God, God does not exist – Nothing gained, nothing lost, no

big deal.

4. Do not believe in God, God exists – Eternal Punishment; everything to lose.

Pascal reasoned that results 2 and 3 were really inconsequential, while results 1 and 4 bore ramifications of paramount importance.  Stating to his friend Fermat that “ …. We are all constrained to gamble” Pascal ended his search for "meaning" by choosing to believe that the universe is orderly enough, fascinating enough, and beautiful enough to warrant the existence of some sort of divine creator. 

Not too bad for a scientist…… What do y’all think?

It's a 50/50 proposition. Right nik? <_<

[glow=gray] :lol: The answer is 42! :lol:

Btw, it's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Oh darn drwho, i wanted to say that!!! :angry:

It's a 50/50 proposition. Right nik? :lol:

That's exactly what Pascal thought. In the words of a famous 20th century icon, "Whatcha gonna do....?"

Fascinating premise, no?