Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan IDIC

Trekkies - the movies - topic split from

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is Trekkies?

Trekkies was a documentary done about Trekkies that Denise Crosby was involved with. It is one of those things that you either love it or hate it - with no in between. Trekkies 2 recently had its premiere.

The problem I had with Trekkies was the focus on the "stereotypical" Trekkie - that woman who wore her Starfleet uniform to the Whitewater thing, a "pyscho" Brent Spiner fan, a guy who wanted to have plastic surgery so he could have Vulcan ears and a dentist and his family (the dentist had turned his office into a Trek shrine, basically, and all of his staff had to wear Starfleet uniforms). With so much focus on them, it made us all look like a bunch of idiots. I understand that many people involved with Trek felt betrayed by the film so I'm not sure how much cooperation they got from people who work or did work on Trek.

Trekkies is also the film that, I understand, inspired Rod Roddenberry to do his film as he wanted there to be a true picture of what Star Trek fans are like.

Gabriel, featured on Trekkies, and Trekkies 2, actually ended up working on Star Trek Nemesis. as I understand it, the Data "Freek" actually had an agreement with the Spinerfems whereby she'd go to conventions and take pictures of Spiner for the group. it was just a way of showing the Stereotypical trekkie. "Free Enterprise" is actually supposed to be a more possitive, but not neccisarily better, view of Trek fans.

as I understand it,  the Data "Freek" actually had an agreement with the Spinerfems whereby she'd go to conventions and take pictures of Spiner for the group.

I know that was what she claimed but taking 7 rolls of film while he is on stage is pretty excessive. Has she ever heard of duplicates?!?!? The fact that she kept all of the pictures in an album in a fireproof box didn't help her claim. Safeguarding the negatives is sufficient if there is a fire. To be perfectly honest, I always wondered if that woman was one of the reasons Brent sold his house. Now that he has moved and she can no longer go on her balcony for "Brent Breaks", her website is no longer up.

Whats wrong with the stereotypical Star Trek Fan? If you only ask me, its only a staple of the greatest of Gene to make something that great that you could find that many people were that in love with it.

Whats wrong with the stereotypical Star Trek Fan? If you only ask me, its only a staple of the greatest of Gene to make something that great that you could find that many people were that in love with it.

Unfortunately Nemesis, the stereotypical Star Trek fan is seen as a lunatic. We're not seen as normal people who have a love of Trek but as a group that can be ridiculed because of the behaviour of a very small percentage of Trek fans. How many Trekkies do you know wear Starfleet uniforms to work and are called by a rank rather than their name, like the Whitewater juror is/was? How many Trekkies do you know think about getting plastic surgery to look more like a Star Trek race? How many offices of Trekkies have you been to that are completely decorated in a Trek motif? One employee of that dentist said she didn't want to wear the uniform but was told she would be fired if she didn't.

How many Trekkies do you know think about getting plastic surgery to look more like a Star Trek race?

Um, me! LOL But I know what you all mean about this putting us in a bad light. Everyone at my school already thinks that I am insane for being obsessed with Trek, so I have had first hand experience about being ridiculed and hated for this. We need to find some way to show people that yes! we love Trek but we are not lunatics because of it. Unfortunately, I do not know where to start, because even my own family is telling me it is not good to be so into Trek like this.

The problem I had with Trekkies was the focus on the "stereotypical" Trekkie

Yeah, but like mr Nygard pointed out in his chat with us, it would be a pretty boring movie if it was just about the run of the mill fan that likes Star Trek. Who wants to see a movie about some schlub that sits in front of the TV flipping channels?

How many Trekkies do you know think about getting plastic surgery to look more like a Star Trek race?

Um, me! LOL But I know what you all mean about this putting us in a bad light. Everyone at my school already thinks that I am insane for being obsessed with Trek, so I have had first hand experience about being ridiculed and hated for this. We need to find some way to show people that yes! we love Trek but we are not lunatics because of it. Unfortunately, I do not know where to start, because even my own family is telling me it is not good to be so into Trek like this.

Ask them if they would prefer if you were into drugs instead. LOL

VBG, if they had balanced it more by showing some of the regular fans it would have been better. They concentrated on the over the top too much.

BTW, did you know they have a link to STF at the Trekkies 2 website because of the chat. Cool.