Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Starship Chapels

I vaguely remember seeing a chapel in one of the episodes. Does anyone remember this? I know most of the spiritual scenes, like worship or praying usually took place in the crew members quarters, but was there a chapel onboard, ever? I know the issue of religion has come up many times with other cultures and species.

I remember seeing a chapel in TOS episode Balance of Terror, Kirk was about to marry a couple when the Romulans attacked the ship. The would be groom is eventually killed in the attack.

I dont remember seeing any in ENT, TNG or VOY but DS9 had Bajorian temples.

I vaguely remember seeing a chapel in one of the episodes. Does anyone remember this? I  know most of the spiritual scenes, like worship or praying usually took place in the crew members quarters, but was there a chapel onboard, ever? I know the issue of religion has come up many times with other cultures and species.

This is surreal, I've been having this exact thought running through my head all day. Spooky.

The only ones I remember seeing is the Chapel in TOS episode 'Balance of Terror'..Like AE said..That's the only time I can recall seeing a chapel on a starship..Star Trek has always tended to stay away from religion..There was a Bajoran Temple on DS9 that Kira went to often..

I vaguely remember seeing a chapel in one of the episodes. Does anyone remember this? I  know most of the spiritual scenes, like worship or praying usually took place in the crew members quarters, but was there a chapel onboard, ever? I know the issue of religion has come up many times with other cultures and species.

We have not seen a chapel on Enterprise.

I remember seeing a chapel in TOS episode Balance of Terror, Kirk was about to  marry a couple when the Romulans attacked the ship. The would be groom is eventually killed in the attack.

Yes, on TOS, I didn't mean ENTERPRISE now. Once a long time ago.

Of course we've seen a Chapel on TOS. I believe her first name was Christine. :) Ok, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I've never seen Balance of Terror so I cannot recall ever seeing a chapel on any Star Trek.

I remember seeing a chapel in TOS episode Balance of Terror, Kirk was about to  marry a couple when the Romulans attacked the ship. The would be groom is eventually killed in the attack.

If this wasn't specifically for ENT, why did you post it in the ENT forum? :)

If this wasn't specifically for ENT, why did you post it in the ENT forum? :)

Did I? :D I thought I put it in TOS, Sorry :) I must have had a momentary lapse of judment, please accept my most humble apologies, I'm far from perfect :) I'll go to the dungeon now :: hangs head and walks away:: :)

Actually, when the creation of The Next Generation was anounced, religious groups of various denominations petitioned the producers with requests to add a Chaplan as an officer. Roddenbury was an atheist, but his reason for saying no had more to do with practicality. It is difficult to find someone who is not only well versed in Earth's religions but licensed by those religions to perform ceremonies. Now compound that by each planet in the Federation and it quickly becomes unworkable.

As a compromise the Counselor position was created.

If this wasn't specifically for ENT, why did you post it in the ENT forum? :wub:

This IS the TOS forum!

Originally this thread was posted in the Enterprise forum. The moderator moved it to the TOS forum, since the topic led to more of a TOS-centered discussion. None of the posts were edited, and some reflect the fact that it was originally located elswhere.