Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

In Memory of Pat Tillmen

I don't know how many of you have heard about this yet, so I will pass along this bit of sad news. Former Arizona Cardinal linebacker Pat Tillmen was killed in action in Afghanistan today. the Department of Defense hasn't released any more details.

Tillmen joined the Army to serve with his brother as a US Army Ranger, turning down a large contract with the Arizona Cardinals. If there is any lesson to be learned from Mr. Tillmen's life, it is that there are athletes who aren't bound by greed. I think I speak for the entire STF.net community when I say that our hearts do go out to the family of Mr. Tillmen.

Edited by VBG to add the picture

post-12-1082756850.jpg

Edited by VaBeachGuy

thats about as sad as it gets. there arent enough people, much less athletes in pro sports like that. and of course he has to die. though it was a great sacrifice on his part, he will always be remembered by me as an honorable man, who died in svc to his country. GOD BLESS. REST IN PEACE, and may god be with his family.

If we all lived and died as honorably as Tillman, the world would be a better place. God bless him.

B)

I just heard this sad news a few minutes ago. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I heard about this - not being a sports fan I hadn't heard of him before. Yes, it is sad when any American soldier dies in the service of his country. I understand what you're all saying about his decision to give up a lucrative contract to serve his country. But he would be just as much a hero if he only gave up a job at the local service station. The death of any of our soldiers is a tragedy.

it is my hope that Maurice Claurette and Ely Manning learn something from the sacrifices made by Pat Tillmen: Sometimes, it's not about YOU. Ely Manning is making a big stink about not playing if he gets picked by the wrong team? and Maurice Claurette is using his lawyers to get him into the NFL? that's selfish me first kinda stuff, not suitable for a team sport like Football. Pat Tillmen, he was a team player. this country has lost a great person. not very many Americans would turn down 3.6 Million Dollars and trade in a football helmet for a Soldier's helmet. I've heard a great idea from a talk show host on how to remember Pat Tillmen: Paint the 40 yard line at all NFL stadiums Red White and Blue (Pat Tillmen's number was 40).

it is my hope that Maurice Claurette and Ely Manning learn something from the sacrifices made by Pat Tillmen: Sometimes, it's not about YOU. Ely Manning is making a big stink about not playing if he gets picked by the wrong team? and Maurice Claurette is using his lawyers to get him into the NFL? that's selfish me first kinda stuff, not suitable for a team sport like Football. Pat Tillmen, he was a team player. this country has lost a great person. not very many Americans would turn down 3.6 Million Dollars and trade in a football helmet for a Soldier's helmet.

AMEN, Brother! Preach it!! B)

I heard about this - not being a sports fan I hadn't heard of him before.  Yes, it is sad when any American soldier dies in the service of his country.  I understand what you're all saying about his decision to give up a lucrative contract to serve his country.  But he would be just as much a hero if he only gave up a job at the local service station.  The death of any of our soldiers is a tragedy.

Very true, and it seems a trivial thing to mention contracts and money when compared to the loss of his life. I think it just highlights his devotion to doing what he saw as the right thing to do though.

I just read that he turned down a $9 Million contract from the St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to Arizona. Then when he joined the Army he turned down a $3.6 Million contract offer from Arizona so he could be an Army Ranger.

How many of us would be willing to do the same thing, to turn down that kind of money and all that it would buy in order to live a very hard life? Trust me, Ranger training is no walk in the park. I myself didn't go through it, but I met several that did and I have read of what they have to go through. Not easy at all. If I recall correctly, the training alone is a year long.

at one point, I volunteered for BUD/S, which is Navy Special Ops training. I can attest that it is very difficult, equally as difficult as Ranger training. I dropped out, but I have the greatest respect for the people who make it through. these men are truely supermen, and are worthy of honors far greater than they do recieve.

My prayers go out to the friends and fmaily of this honorable man!

It takes a special kind of person to turn down money and fame to serve your country! One can only hope that others take heart from his example!

(I cried when I read the news today)

U.H. you are ABSOLUTLEY CORRECT, about anyone dying in service of their country is an honorable, yet tragic way to serve. but the point of this was that soooo many athletes today forget that they are playing a game, one that millions play all the time but dont make a penny for it, one that children dream of bein able to do, and look up to these "pro's" and the example that thesee "pro's" set. it's a rarity, and a shame that it is so rare that a player shows loyalty to a team like that, then on top of that turn down a contract as lucrative as that must've been for him to be a ranger, we all know our service men and women are underpaid, so to give up the fame and fortune to do what he felt was "the right thing to do" is just AWSOME

Yes, I heard about that. It's very sad. B) I saw a special on him on ESPN. There aren't too many men out there who would turn down all that money to serve their country. My heart goes out to his family and friends and all the other families who have lost loved ones. I proudly support our men and women in uniform and pray that God keeps them all safe.

I am sadden by his lose. My prays are with his family. His bravery will be remember by many. :frusty:

For those that have never heard of Pat Tillman, or would like to hear from him in his own words here is a video from the NFL Network. It's a little over 4mb and is 4 minutes and 11 seconds. It was recorded on September 12th 2001 and was recorded for reaction to the events that took place the day before.

http://www.startrekfans.net/video/tillman.wvx