Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Are we ever going to make it there ?

Every night I watch the news while I eat my dinner. It really is quite depressing to watch what is going on in our world. It's no wonder that I like Star Trek so much. Tonight's news for example. Rising gas prices..It seems like the price of everything is going up except my paycheck..Tornadoes damaging homes and lives in the midwest. And in my local area 2 women were assaulted. A 14 year old boy was run over and killed by a car. The police suspect it was intentional.!! And I'm not even going to talk about all the violence and attrocities that are happening overseas right now. It makes me ask once again; are we ever going to make it to that Utopian Star Trek world that I dream about so often. It certainly seems like it is getting further and further out of reach..

Comment is invited..

It's hard to say because society works in a noticible trend, prehaps if we start learning from the mistakes of the past we can.

I always remember when I watch the news they're going to spin everything to make it more dramatic than it probably is. The are delivering the news but they want ratings to. I don't get to upset by the news anymore as long as I remember they're trying to sell it to me.

AAWWWKK!!! Just turn it off. I won't watch it at all, ever. <_< I figure all the bad news can get along without me :P I've got my own Personal Crisis Grid to deal with :(

I always remember when I watch the news they're going to spin everything to make it more dramatic than it probably is. The are delivering the news but they want ratings to. I don't get to upset by the news anymore as long as I remember they're trying to sell it to me.

That is true enough about the media. They do always try to sensationize everything they report. But they are not making up the news. These events really do happen.. And sometimes I get depressed thinking about the state of the world..Of course I also realize that they never report good news only the bad..With rare exceptions..

I think there will always be problems, trials and tribulations, on a local as well as global scale. There are still problems in the Star Trek world. Right now my work situation is about to be turned upside down, but I am not letting it make me miserable or unhappy.

We can make a difference as individuals in how we respond to events in our own life as well as the events of the world. I went to move my prescription to a drugstore near my new home, and chose to do it in person. That particular day one of the pharmacists had not come in, so the one on duty was swamped, and people were impatient and nasty waiting for pick-ups. I just waited patiently (for more than an hour and a half) for him to get to me, so he could take care of some really rude (not typical of the south) customers, some of whom were vocally critical. Every time he said "I will get to you in a moment ma'am," I told him to take his time, I really was not in a hurry at all ( and I wasn't). When he finally did get to me, he vented about the difficulty of being on duty alone when everyone chooses to come in at the same time. I told him I thought it was very important for a pharmacist to handle one patient at a time, and that I could forbear while he did that. It brought a little peace into that stressful situation.

I am not saying that I am always perfectly patient...no. I am saying we can make the difference with regard to peace and cooperation in our own environment, which I think makes a better world.

Didn't one of the Catholic saints pray "Lord make me an instrument of Thy peace..."

The world always has hope when each individual chooses to be a source of that hope. One person always makes a difference.

Nice point Mjham..That was well taken..Sometimes I forget that one person(me) can make a difference in my small world.. I'll try to remember that when I'm stressed or rushed in my daily routine as I often am..A little courtesy does contribute to a more peaceful enjoyable world.. <_<

Mjham, I agree with you. You may not be able to make a global impact but you do your part every day in the way you treat others.

I think as a society we have a lot to work through before we reach a goal of Trek-like peace. I doubt I'll live to see it, but hopefully in my daughter's lifetime it will come to be. <_<

If humanity does make it - it won't be in our lifetimes. But I do believe you can find peace in the meantime. Like MJham says we can make choices that will diffuse difficult situations.

But I know what you're saying about the evil that is in the world. Sometimes I read the paper or watch the news and feel such deep sorrow - I am particularly distressed about the things people do to children.

My advice would be not to watch the news while you're having dinner. That's got to be bad for your health.

I'd like to comment on the tornadoes in the middle east...it was alittle too close for me. I know exactly where all those cities are.

I think the human race will make it. we're just hitting a rough spot right now, they happen.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

From what anyone will get from the media that human race is going down fast. But it is not really. There are no major wars in Europe and doesn't look will have anytime soon. Many countries are going to U.N. to help with their difficulties. Africa has lot of problem in which I blame the weathly countries including the United State almost doing nothing to help. I strong believe that we will make it.

Just to add some perspective even if we learn to live in peace a single virus could send us all the way back to the beginning. Boy am I a pessimist or what?

Alot of Africa's problems come from two things: Lack of technological advancement, and the prevelence of smaller tribes as opposed to nations. they don't have the technology or the knowledge we do to prevent alot of things. The biggest problem is that Africa is so big, with so many different people, it's really hard to try and get in there and figure out what we need to do.

Yeah, i think we'll get there, but it'll probably be something similar to the events in the second 1/2 of the 21st and the first half of the 22nd century of star trek that will bring it about. Basically, it'll be a storm before the calm.

The world isn't ready for adulthood, it's still in it's rebelious reckless stage, may aswel enjoy the anarchy and ensure your future security at the same time...

the world is bad...

life is unfair..

We have to deal with the fact that culture is chaos. We can't live in a perfect world. We do not have the self- control to be able to create a utopian society. Our world is a world of endnomers or extremes. We show all the signs of a decaying civilization. We will not survive another 1000 years because of the so called short sighted reforms.

Edited by WEAREBORG4102