Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Minutes and Seconds in Space versus

OK, you got me! I'm stumped!!!!! By minutes and seconds, do you mean fractions of a degree used to determine orientation? (e.g., My hometown is located at 43 degrees 27' 4" N latitude.) Or perhaps you are talking about

relativistic time dilation......

Sorry.... you win! :clap:

BINGO! Navigational minutes and seconds :clap: I know how to determine that on a ship, how would you find your mark in space since your always moving? Thowing out an anchor, just would do :huh: Might catch on some space junk :huh:

:tomcat:

:( :) :)

u would probably use polar (x,y,z) with a velocity vector(delta v)

Care to elaborate on that?

u would probably use polar (x,y,z) with a velocity vector(delta v)

What would be your reference point? I always wondered when they start spouting coordinates on ST - is there some "galactic standard" measuring system - if there wasn't a common reference point - how does everyone know where they're going.

longitude and latitude is a (x,y) geomentry on a flat surface with (degrees, minutes, secondsxdegrees, minutes, seconds) in 3d space you can set up a point such as center of galaxy, or the sun...and define a plane (x,y) and a zenith z and map any point in the galaxy..then u add a direction vector and change in velocity(delta v) then get a very big computer to keep track of all the moving objects.

point of origin would be center of galaxy or on a smaller scale the sun...unless u belong to the old church and believe that earth is the center of everything!

In general, the reason earth coordinates aren't used in space is becuase the earth is

a rapidly moving reference frame with respect to the starts, galaxy, and even the sun. It would be like trying to pinpoint the position of a building by referencing with respect to a horse on a merry-go-round.

In astronomy, the coordinate system IS similar to the earth's - with different

names for the coordinates, but the locations are fixed with something pretty

"stationary", much like "guide stars" in nautical navigation. (I don't remember

what our "stationary" points are, as headbord described.

I was thinking along the lines when the Klingons and Humans give each other co-ordinates - there has to be some universally accepted reference point - either that pretty powerful software that converts all other races coordinates to human.

I would think the center of the galaxy would be the most logical reference point.

Instead of two coordinates in a standard Cartesian Plane, they use three coordinates...

(x, y, z,) 3 dimensions....

These are used in Trek...

technically...

remember Wrath of Khan..

"z-minus 20"

in terms of Trek,....Earth(sol) system is a fixed point at one end of the x-axis(this axis runs through the galactic center(of rotation/mass) to a point (star) in a spiral arm on the far-side of the galaxy, with 2 more stars determining the y-axis-/dividing the galaxy into 4 quadrants since the whole galaxy is in rotation as a system/spiral galaxy the stars maintain relative position to each other(excluding galactic expansion which can be compansated for) the z-axis(zenith) is center of the spiral disk...and could be used to divide the 4 quadrents into 8 regions of space- 4 below the zenith/4 above.

There most likely be a common points in space to navigate that is used and understood by all star trek races. It would be 3D or maybe 4D. Like x,y,and z plus time. How they come up with a system that everyone a agrees on is anyone guess.

well naviagation in a 3D area, you have to have 3 points...