Sign in to follow this  
Kirk476

Sisko is Weak

I can't stand it... I watched the DS9 pilot and a few more episodes and well to put it simply, i couldn't stand it. Spike TV started syndication and its more pathetic than ever. How could a character so weak, incapable of carrying his duty, and pathetic be created. He has no control over his command and no qualities worthy of starfleet. I just don't get... kirk would kick his *buttocks* on sight, Picard would (except for guilt of over wolf 359) rip him apart, Janeway would laugh at him, and Archer would be amused for a whole 30 seconds before kicking off his ship.

Typical Of Someone Who's Only Seen A Few Season 1 Episodes.

(I Was The Same Way)

The Man Really Changes. Methinks That Was The Point. To Make Him Like In The Begining So He'd Grow. :flex:

And Oh Yeah, Welcome To The Boards :flex:

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I agree that he seems weak in the beginning of season 1, but he really grows into a great leader. In Emissary he is still obsessed with his wifes death at Wolf 359, he blamed himself and he didn't even want the assignment on DS9, actually he was going to leave Starfleet. I think it was the writers intention to make him look like he didn't care, and that also made him weak..

Keep watching and I'm sure you'll discover what a great series DS9 is!!

yeah he is many things but definatly not weak, dont just watch in the pale moonlight, watch every ds9 season 6 and 7 episode, youll discover just how talented avery brooks is

If you think Sisko is weak watch Season 6's In The Pale Moon Light, then tell me if you still think he's weak.

Just don't watch it if you have only seen a few episodes. :clap:

yes, from the season 2 finale everything has to be watched in order.

and i think you are way out of line calling him weak...after only seeing "a few" episodes..

I think Sisko is the Strongest Captain out there and the most human(he admits his faults and has demons in the closet)

I like him for that reason

There is a West African proverb quoted often by some very well known orators I'm sure you're familiar with. I believe it describes Sisko (and Brooks' performance) pretty well: "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Sisko has a soft voice but he's no fool. He rises to the occasion and will ensure DS9 isn't vulnerable.

While he may not be my favorite of all the Captains/Commanders he still gets the job done. I agree, give the show some time.

cool03.gif

Edited by athena28

Sisko started of as a weak and unworthy of attention commander in Star Fleet. He went on to become one of the best Star Fleet captains to date... remember:-

Kirk met God.

Picard became a God.

Janeway worshipped a God.

Sisko did all three, in style.

Kirk drank coffee.

Picard drank Earl grey tea.

Janeway drank herbal tea.

Sisko drank Klingon Coffee.

You know what, bud, I've been watching the first season of TNG again and if that was all I had to go on regarding Captain Picard I would probably be saying that "Picard is weak blah, blah, blah" and "get that crap off the air blah, blah, blah." That is just so ridiculous to judge any of the characters on any of the ST series by what they do in the first few episodes.

Everyone knows that it takes a series a while to get its sea legs. I believe that DS9 for the most part got its bearings fairly early on ... there are some truly excellent shows in that first season and yes, Sisko improves over time as did Picard, Kirk and Janeway.

Sisko was cool because he wasn't as "Starfleet" as the rest of them, only when it suited his purpose. I can respect a person who's able to be flexible. He was walking a fine line there at DS9 between Bajorans, Cardassians, Klingons, Starfleet and every species in between and I believe he did it as well or better than anyone else could have.

Besides if you watch the whole series, you know that Sisko's existence was engineered by the Prophets ... it had to be him and no other there at the mouth of the wormhole (Celestial Temple fyi). Even Moses had trouble at first being God's mouthpiece, he was reluctant and probably didn't appear very qualifed at first either.

I liked the DS9 pilot very much for the very reason the thread starter despises it... it started out giving the weakness and brokeness of a main character. Up to then we watched our Star Trek heroes out on their great adventures, and usually see them at their best. But aren't they still human beings?

The Federation was routed at wolf359. What happened to the people who fought and lost there? How do they feel about Picard, who helped the Borg win there? We see what happened to the restored Picard in the TNG episode Family...even he was devastated by the experience. But we had already know Picard as a heoric character so seeing him vulnerable was a treat and a departure from the usual fare.

Now in comes a series DS9 that introduces us to a character, Sisko, who had a rising career until wolf359, where he lost his beloved wife. His life and career had been in limbo for a while after that, and he was a given a new command even though he had not yet recovered from the emotional blow of that loss.

Of course we and Sisko learn through the Prophets that Sisko actually is trapped in that moment when his wife died, and once Sisko sees that, he understands at last that he has to move on from there. And that is the start of the series DS9. An officer begins to build his career again after a devastating loss at wolf359. Of course this plot is complicated by a myriad of different subplots, and the fact that the Prophets are influencing a lot of what is going on.

If you give it time, as others have said, you can see. And the final epsiode of the series pulls together all the various threads and subplots, and leaves the viewer quite satisfied with a well-woven saga.

(Of course you can see from my avatar that I quite admire the man!)

I agree that Sisko may seem a little weak in the first few episodes, but remember that he is still coming to terms with the loss of his wife and is settling into a completely new environment so he is kind of feeling things out. I recommend giving the show a chance as I am confident that your opinion of Sisko will change. During the process of the series we are able to watch him grow and find his place among starfleet as well as rediscoving himself which is something that I very much liked about the character.

One of the best things about DS9 was that unlike Enterprise or voyager, it developed it's characters. You say Sisko is weak, but you have only seen the first few episodes. You don't even have a basis to your opinion that it just sounds so flawed. I would suggest if you think Sisko is weak, than keep watching. You will see a guy who leads a War, has to make tough issues, has lunch with anyone (Unlike Picard who was isolated a lot) and really changes for what you have seen. Calling him pathetic and weak deserves a :drool:

One of the best things about DS9 was that unlike Enterprise or voyager, it developed it's characters.  You say Sisko is weak, but you have only seen the first few episodes.  You don't even have a basis to your opinion that it just sounds so flawed.  I would suggest if you think Sisko is weak, than keep watching.  You will see a guy who leads a War, has to make tough issues, has lunch with anyone (Unlike Picard who was isolated a lot) and really changes for what you have seen.  Calling him pathetic and weak deserves a :drool:

Myself one of the things that I find very refreshing about DS9 is that instead of being presented with a Captain and just basically "told" that he/she is a great man/woman and has gained alot of command experience on other ships and assignments, we get the opportunity to watch Sisko and the other members of the crew grow and learn from the experiences as they happen. Some of the other characters that I was very pleased to watch transform before our eyes were Nog, Dr. Bashir, and believe it or not Quark.

^Definatly agree with you about Dr. Bashir. I've been watching the first season and man is that guy annoying. Fadil's performence in The Passenger is one of the most cringe inducing moments ever. :drool:

^Definatly agree with you about Dr. Bashir.  I've been watching the first season and man is that guy annoying.  Fadil's performence in The Passenger is one of the most cringe inducing moments ever.  :drool:

Oh yeah, that is one of my favorite episodes. I loved that even with Bashir being "wet behind the ears" and unsure of himself episode gave him a chance to prove that he is able to play a wide range of characters as needed.