Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Troi's Rank?

Last night I was watching "Encounter at Farpoint" and I noticed a major error I hadn't before. In the entire episode, Troi was referred to as commander, Leuitenet, and councelor. However, we find out in "Thine own Self" that she was going for her Lt. Commander test to become an offical bridge officer.

Is this a major descrepancy, or what? In this series, what was her "offical" rank if she was more than just a councelor. Also, something I am noticing more of and its something that I don't get is if she is a councelor, why is she always on the bridge and not doing Pshycology in her office or something. Another reason why her character was not necessary, dispite the fine acting by Marina Sirtis.

well some times Lt. Cmdr.s are just referred to as Cmdr. That might answer one of your questions..

all hail Bev!! :D

Last night I was watching "Encounter at Farpoint" and I noticed a major error I hadn't before. In the entire episode, Troi was referred to as commander, Leuitenet, and councelor. However, we find out in "Thine own Self" that she was going for her Lt. Commander test to become an offical bridge officer.

Is this a major descrepancy, or what? In this series, what was her "offical" rank if she was more than just a councelor. Also, something I am noticing more of and its something that I don't get is if she is a councelor, why is she always on the bridge and not doing Pshycology in her office or something. Another reason why her character was not necessary, dispite the fine acting by Marina Sirtis.

When Troi came to the Enterprise she had a rank of Lt. Cmdr. In Thine Own Self she took the bridge officer's exam to become a full Commander. I believe she spent time on the bridge because Picard wanted her there to take advantage of her empathic abilities. There were a number of episodes in which she was shown doing her counsellor duties with crew members. Examples are The Loss and many, many appointments with Reg Barclay, etc.

^So, a counselor is an offical ships officer but someone like Chief O'brian isn't? Ok I think I got it. She was also best used on the bridge because of her empathic abilities, but like I said, it wasn't necessary.

The difference between Troi and O'Brien is that Troi went to the Academy but O'Brien was enlisted personnel.

Yup, Troi was Lt. Commander and as mentioned, Lt.Commanders are almost always called Commanders. Just look at Dax, Worf, and Geordi for futher proof of that.

Also, it's pretty simple why she was on the bridge. Her empathic powers almost always were useful to Picard when encountering various species. He would routinely ask for her opinion to see if the guy/girl was hiding something, lying, or telling the truth etc. If you don't think Troi was useful on the bridge, you need to watch more TNG episodes. :D

Yup, Troi was Lt. Commander and as mentioned, Lt.Commanders are almost always called Commanders. Just look at Dax, Worf, and Geordi for futher proof of that.

Also, it's pretty simple why she was on the bridge. Her empathic powers almost always were useful to Picard when encountering various species. He would routinely ask for her opinion to see if the guy/girl was hiding something, lying, or telling the truth etc. If you don't think Troi was useful on the bridge, you need to watch more TNG episodes. :laugh:

Yes, actually I have seen all the episodes many many times. She was the queen of the obvious, with her "I'm senseing hostilities in them captain" speeches. It was annoying most of the time.

I have to agree, her talent for giving useless information was shocking. "He's hiding something" Great, but what is he hiding, that he is cheating on his wife or that he is about to fire?

I have to agree, her talent for giving useless information was shocking. "He's hiding something" Great, but what is he hiding, that he is cheating on his wife or that he is about to fire?

haha, that was the draw back of being half betazed. If you asked Picard though, he would tell you she was invaluable :laugh:

And they always said that Data was supposed to be the comic relief....I always thought that that was never the case!! Troi was the comic relief, because she did always state the obvious, and she was always there for a few laughs...and who of course could ever forget her being drunk in First Contact(movie example, I know...but it is a good example, IMO).

Yeah, I know about the "I don't want to offend" part....I really don't want to get people mad, but she was really funny in her own way!

I thought Data did have a lot of great lines that were really funny. A lot more than other characters. He was such a great all-round character though that we tend to think of all the other great things about him too.

I like Troi. Her character certainly evolved over the years. I didn't like her in Farpoint with that pining over Riker stuff. I would have been disappointed had she been written off at the end of season 1 like had been planned until Denise Crosby left.

I really didn't like her till season six (namely Face of the Enemy). After that, she was ok (ok with a happy face, NOT ok with a "meh")

I really didn't like her till season six (namely Face of the Enemy). After that, she was ok (ok with a happy face, NOT ok with a "meh")

Same here. Face of the enemy was a great episode, and I thought she played the Tal Shiar agent better than her normal role. :laugh:

Not to be critical, but Worf was a Lt. until the movie "Generatons". Remember, the incident in the holodeck when the plank dissapeared under Worf. It was his promotion ceremony to Lt. Commander.

Not to be critical, but Worf was a Lt. until the movie "Generatons". Remember, the incident in the holodeck when the plank dissapeared under Worf. It was his promotion ceremony to Lt. Commander.

And how could he forget Data!!!

Someone said Troi went to the accademy and was an official officer but O'brien was enlisted personnel. What is the difference? O'brien was almost good enough to be chief engineer in my opinion.

Yes, actually I have seen all the episodes many many times.  She was the queen of the obvious, with her "I'm senseing hostilities in them captain" speeches.  It was annoying most of the time.

Boy ain't that the truth. :wub: Sorry, not a Troi fan here. party-smiley-004.gif

dsbs, that's the fiver that had me laughing so hard I woke up my kids. :wub: :laugh:

Someone said Troi went to the accademy and was an official officer but O'brien was enlisted personnel. What is the difference? O'brien was almost good enough to be chief engineer in my opinion.

I think a fair comparison would be the difference between going to the Naval Academy (or other officer training programs) and enlisting at your local recruiter. I'm not completely familiar with how it works in the States.

The Academy is officer training. If you enlist you would get training in a specific field and you could only go so high in rank. For example, you won't find enlisted personnel becoming a captain.

Everyone forgets Data when it comes to promotions...

You know I never really noticed that, but you're right. How stupid is that?! xeye.gif