Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Troi's Rank?

Yes, actually I have seen all the episodes many many times.  She was the queen of the obvious, with her "I'm senseing hostilities in them captain" speeches.  It was annoying most of the time.

Boy ain't that the truth. :look: Sorry, not a Troi fan here. party-smiley-004.gif

dsbs, that's the fiver that had me laughing so hard I woke up my kids. :laugh::laugh:

Lol! I thought you'd like the site :) No st character is safe!

You sent that one to me, though ;)

And yes, everyone does (I know I'm right :P ;))! Every single NG person got promoted or offered a promotion before he did, and then he died. The end. Grrr. :look: No you've got me started again!!!

Care to elaborate?

I always liked the Troi character. I found the Betazoid/Human combination to be very interesting. I know I am definitely in the minority on this board, but I liked the character, I agree that they could have developed her character more though.

Last night I was watching "Encounter at Farpoint" and I noticed a major error I hadn't before. In the entire episode, Troi was referred to as commander, Leuitenet, and councelor. However, we find out in "Thine own Self" that she was going for her Lt. Commander test to become an offical bridge officer.

Is this a major descrepancy, or what? In this series, what was her "offical" rank if she was more than just a councelor. Also, something I am noticing more of and its something that I don't get is if she is a councelor, why is she always on the bridge and not doing Pshycology in her office or something. Another reason why her character was not necessary, dispite the fine acting by Marina Sirtis.

she was brought onto the shipa lt.commander and took her 7 years to become a FULL commander...

*in thine onw self*

and picard thought her services would be useful on the bridge.. but she was often not there.. *prolly doing some shrink things*

Troi was on the bridge due to her empathic ability being useful to the captain. And besides, I doubt that on a twenty fourth century vessel, that holds all the eminities that one could ask for that the counselar was inundated with patients, but it was necessary to have one on board so that when crew members were dealing with tragic losses she would be available to help them cope with it since they would not in many cases have family members around to help them.