Sign in to follow this  
Q stole my bike

Porthos and cheese

Ok, I know that Archer doesn't want Porthos to eat cheese. But why? Is it because it makes him fart? Or is it something more mundane, like, people food just isn't good for dogs? Or is Porthos lactose intolerant? I must know, because I don't think any dog should be denied cheese without good reason, or at least low-fat cheese, if it's a fat dog :P

Ok, I know that Archer doesn't want Porthos to eat cheese.  But why?  Is it because it makes him fart? Or is it something more mundane, like, people food just isn't good for dogs?  Or is Porthos lactose intolerant? I must know, because I don't think any dog should be denied cheese without good reason, or at least low-fat cheese, if it's a fat dog :P

From what I read dogs are lactose intolerant as soon as they are wined from their mother.

Ok, I know that Archer doesn't want Porthos to eat cheese.  But why?  Is it because it makes him fart? Or is it something more mundane, like, people food just isn't good for dogs?  Or is Porthos lactose intolerant? I must know, because I don't think any dog should be denied cheese without good reason, or at least low-fat cheese, if it's a fat dog :P

From what I read dogs are lactose intolerant as soon as they are wined from their mother.

Really? :clap: I'd better stop feeding my dogs cheese. Sorry, guys, you'll have to make do with soy cheese.

Porthos seems to be lactos intolerant, Archer doesn't want him to eat cheese because it isn't good for him.. :roflmao:

have you ever noticed a bad smell when ya dog is near by.. thats could be the cheese talking i know i had same problem till my gf stoped feeding me cheese. :(

Porthos likes the cheese and I think Archer likes to be the only one to give it to him so that he stays loyal to Archer only. My mum was the same way with the snacks for my cat. Everybody except me used to give him snacks secretly and he hated me.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

You'd think by Enterprise's time they'd have something that Porthos could take so he could eat cheese. It just seems wrong to deny anyone cheese.

I live in the Dairy State :( Pothos could have all the cheese he wanted here a go run in the fields with the cows and fart his brains out if he wanted. Ever heard a cow fart? :) He's be LIGHTWEIGHT here :cheese:

My dog likes cheese, actually he likes to eat anything I can eat. He loves chocolate although I try not to give him any he sometimes manages to get some from time to time.He eats vegetables too!!

I believe it was early in season 1 where Dr. Phlox lectures Archer about not giving Porthos cheese. It upsets his tummy.

Which kinda makes Archer's request to Plox in Azati Prime seem more poignant to me. I'm all torn up about Archer right now, anyway.

Hope we get to see some hurt/comfort this week.

Yes I seem to remember Archer getting the lecture from Phlox about cheese not being good for Porthos - but like the good captain, who could look into those cute eyes and not break the rules every so often?

Yes I seem to remember Archer getting the lecture from Phlox about cheese not being good for Porthos - but like the good captain, who could look into those cute eyes and not break the rules every so often?

My dog got hold some cheese once. Oh boy! His (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) smelled to high heaven! I will never give my dog cheese after that smell.

I had always been told that cheese and chocolate were very bad for dogs.

Well I know that chocolate is fatal for dogs, unless you get the special dog chocolate!

I should imagine that cheese is not great for dogs if given to them on a regular basis.

Well I know that chocolate is fatal for dogs, unless you get the special dog chocolate!

I should imagine that cheese is not great for dogs if given to them on a regular basis.

My dogs eat people chocolate all the time...

My dogs eat people chocolate all the time...

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Chocolate contains methylxanthine alkaloids in the form of theobromine and caffeine, that cause constriction of arteries, increased heart rate, and central nervous system stimulation. These effects can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and increased urinations. More advanced symptoms of toxicity include excitability, increased respirations and heartbeat, stiffness, seizures and exaggerated reflexes.

Certain types of chocolate contain higher amounts of methylxanthines, baking chocolate containing the highest and white chocolate containing the least. Dogs freely ingest toxic amounts of chocolate if it is left accessible. A potentially lethal dose in a 16 pound. dog is only one pound of milk chocolate. People stop eating chocolate before ingesting toxic levels.

Cardiac failure, seizures, coma, and death can result if the chocolate ingestion is not found within four to six hours and treated appropriately.

As for cheese?

Cheese is not nearly as serious however table scraps, which could contain too much fat and salt can be bad for your dog.