Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

I was in a car accident..

As some of you may know, I live in Sweden and writing in english can be pretty tough sometimes, but I hope I can put this down in words..

Two days ago I was in a car accident. I was going to make a left turn, but I had to stop since there was so much traffic. When I had been waiting for about 10 seconds, I saw a big truck coming in behind me, I remember I had time to think "he is going to fast", then a second later he rammed me from behind. Luckily, I was pushed to the other side of the road without crashing into any other car.. I would probably not be alive otherwise.

A doctor examined me and I was given some painkillers for my neck and back. If I am lucky I will be alright in a couple of days..

What makes me so mad is that the guy that rammed me hasn't even spoken to me, given me an explanation of why the hell he didn't stop! The police said he simply didn't see me, I just can't believe that they let him go! People that make these kinds of mistake shouldn't be allowed to drive! There was nothing to block his sight, he could see me for at least 300 meters, yet he didn't, there must be something wrong!!

It doesn't seem like I will be getting any financial retribution (is that the right word?), is this they way it works in your country as well?! People can just ram other cars and get away with it?!

Whoa, you mean his insurance doesn't have to pay for your injuries and car repair??? :clap: That stinks!! I can't believe they let him go. uhuh.gif

*HUGE HUGS* I hope you're feeling much better soon.

I live in Sweden and writing in english can be pretty tough sometimes, but I hope I can put this down in words..

Dude your english is probably better then mine and I'm American. :P

*more hugs to you* :clap:

Not, usually Stelfan, we in America call it ' Settlement'. I was in a wreck 2 years ago and got a small one. You'll hurt for while but should be alright. Take the pain killers now, don't be a hero :P

That's terrible about the insurance not paying for the damage to your car or injuries to you..That's lousy..I've never heard of such a thing especially being hit from behind like that..I hope your feeling better soon..

I agree with RC..Your English is probably better than most Americans..Including myself.. :P

What puzzles me the most is that the driver admited that everything was his fault, this kind of thing has never happened to me before, but I can't believe that I'm not supposed to get anything for all the pain this has caused me??

I don't know about sweden, but here in the U.S., you could sue him, but since ur such a nice person, you probably wouldn't. :P

You could if you wanted if law permits for pain and suffereing....

Here you could probably get up to 400,000 dollars. But I don't know about your case in Sweden. You could always get a personal ninjury attorney and get a settlement from the insurance agency...

Here, in America, you hit a person even if they're running a red light, you have to pay them through insurance....

You speak better English than I can probably...

I hope you feel better soon. :roflmao:

I am not tell you the samething as the rest of Americans had said about suing. If you could sue him I would. He has no excuses for not seeing you. :eekout:

As some of you may know, I live in Sweden and writing in english can be pretty tough sometimes, but I hope I can put this down in words..

Your English is better mine native American English! :laugh:

I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

As others have said, here in America it is almost certain that minimally the guy's insurance company would be paying your costs, because the driver that rear ends another is considered at fault.

Give yourself enough time to recover.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad your injuries weren't more serious - hope you're better soon.

In the US laws are different in each state but generally a person that rear ends someone gets a ticket (and their insurance pays for damages)

First off, I'm very sorry you were in a car wreck and am glad to here your only injuries required some pain killers till you heal up. Second off, is your car salvagable?

As for the driver, in the USA, the police would contact him. If he "didn't see you" and was not intoxicated or abusing a drug, chances are he's probably got night blindness and shouldn't be driving at night. If it were me, I would get his license plate number, report him to the police, and ask that they investigate why he almost killed you. If he's something legitimate like night blindness or something, I'd let it go, but ask him to "contribute" to paying for the damages to your car, perhaps paying for half since he is responsible. In any event, he sounds like a very dangerous driver if he's just going to plow cars over, and the cops are idiots for letting him go after he almost killed someone.

I've got a few inlaws who are lawyers and would be able to help if you were in America, Stelfan. I hope you recover well. by the way, here in America we have a tradition when this sort of thing happens: We file lawsuits and demand extraneous amounts of money as compensation for damages to our vehicles, our person, and our life.

I'm new here, but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you aren't too sore from the impact!

I have this horrible fear that I have a big target on the back of my car. I've been rear-ended 7 times and every time I had been stopped for a period of time before the idiot came flying out of nowhere! I can't so much as go on a carnival ride nowadays without my neck being stiff for a week. :roflmao:

I can't believe that the guy that hit you has a chance to not have to cover your medical and repair expenses at least! Grrr. When I was rear-ended the last time, it took 6 weeks before the insurance company would even talk to us about paying up! We had to threaten to sue and everything. And this is in a situation where the person who hit me got cited for "failure to stop" or "driving too fast to be able to react to conditions" or some weird thing like that. Essentially the ticket said that had she been paying attention, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Did you have any witnesses when the driver admitted it was his fault? If you do and you can track them down, it may work to your advantage. If you were in the US, I'd be able to give you better advice.

Good luck and hope you're not too sore still!

Stelfan, I am sorry about your accident. Were you driving a Volvo? I was driving a Plymouth Grand Voyager and , while waiting at a train crossing, was rear-ended. Fortunately, there wasn't a train in front of me, but there was another vehicle, which I was pushed into. I needed therapy afterwards for whiplash. I pray that you'll recover quickly. :roflmao:

As for the driver, in the USA, the police would contact him.  If he "didn't see you" and was not intoxicated or abusing a drug, chances are he's probably got night blindness and shouldn't be driving at night.

Well, the thing is that it was in the middle of the day in bright daylight..

Sorry to hear what happend to you, Stelfan.

Hasn't the truck owning company an insurance for it? If such a thing happened here in Germany I would ask my insurance company to contact the opponent's insurance. The insurance companies here able to find out by knowing the license number of the truck. And my insurance would do everything for me. I'd give them the police report + repair bill and that's it. Even if I haven't a police report the costs for repairing the car would be paid. According to German law the one who hits your car from behind has to pay! Period!

It's different with compensation for you pain. When I had this accident I didn't get anything allthough I handed over the whole papers to a lawyer (I have an insurance for such cases so I let him do everything allthough it was absolutely clear that the accident wasn't my fault).

Get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa, you mean his insurance doesn't have to pay for your injuries and car repair??? :flex: That stinks!! I can't believe they let him go. uhuh.gif

*HUGE HUGS* I hope you're feeling much better soon.

I live in Sweden and writing in english can be pretty tough sometimes, but I hope I can put this down in words..

Dude your english is probably better then mine and I'm American. :)

*more hugs to you* :bow:

I was trying to find places that migght have errors, but I could find none!!! You were more sophisticated than mine would have.