I recently bought Signs on DVD, and not having seen it before, I was scared outta my mind, the cinematography was very indicative of M. Night Shalaman in that it had an open book feel, that you were seeing the pictures in a book and following a family on their own.

The acting was great too and wholly believeable. Right down to the sweetest little child actress I have ever seen, she completely sold it every line she said.

I don't know how many others have seen this film, but I would like to discuss it. What were you reactions to it and why?

post-21-1080774977.gif

It was a pretty freaky movie in parts, I really enjoyed it though. It surprised me that it was as "serious" a movie as it was. I expected a more "speculative" movie.

As a side note, did you recognize Mel Gibson's movie brother? He was in Gladiator.

Do you mean Joaquin Phoenix (River Phoenix's little bro btw)

That was a good movie. The part that freaked me out the most was when the fingers came out from underneath the door. That part made me jump.

That bit and the kids at the party in Brazil. I jumped and squeeled. I am such a girl.

I agree with everything you said about it except for me the ending stank. The idea the aliens didn't know about Earth being covered with water was too stupid for words imo, heck the humidity alone shoulda killed them or at least burnt them.

I can see your point. If they had say landed on somewhere like Vulcan then yeah you can understand it but a planet of 2/3's water. thats daft.

I can see the shalaman was trying to do a war of the worlds where the aliens were defeated by the common cold, which is cool and plausable, specially as they never exited their ships in that story. But water??? Nah not a good replacement, perhaps methane would have been better??

I agree with everything you said about it except for me the ending stank. The idea the aliens didn't know about Earth being covered with water was too stupid for words imo, heck the humidity alone shoulda killed them or at least burnt them.

Exactly.

The movie was really good up to the last 30 minutes, which really stunk, and completely ruined the movie for me, so it only gets a 5/10 from me. Worst ending ever.

It would have made them a more formdable foe

It reminds me of Independance day, it sucked because sending a plane up into the aircraft and exploding it at its most vulnerable was kinda obvious.

I saw Signs when it first came out. It was entertaining enough (which is why I watch any type of show, to be entertained). There were parts that made me jump, and parts that made me giggle. I agree with those that stated the ending could have been made better.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good until the end. I thought the little girl was so cute, with the glasses of water. I also liked the tin-foil hats.

It was better than I expected it to be...but then that was a low threshold to meet.

I agree about the water issue. I don't know if I would have thought about it but now that you mention it - it is pretty lame. I'm not sure I got the metaphysical aspect to it - his dying wife's words helping them escape.

I had to laugh when they kept reading that book. I mean the guy who wrote really knew about aliens...yeah right.

You have to look at it from the prespective that the aliens either didn't know what water was or they didn't know what affect it would have on them. Like for instance if we went to Mars and discovered that the soil has some unknown acid in it that eats through the boots of our space suits.

The aspect of Water on Earth for the aliens was an unknown, just as the aspect of a simple virus was an unknown for the aliens in War of The Worlds (Which I just watched last night lol).

Ya but as soon as they stepped out of their spaceship, their skin would have started to burn. Lol. They would have known as soon as that happened.

maybe it was a high density of water on a localised area that killed them, not water in its gaseous form?

the more that I think about it they were some pretty weak movie monsters if you can take one out with a waterballoon. :thumbs:

well I enjoyed it. And i didn't think about it til later that they were weak in the water sense

I enjoyed the movie all the same, specially cause I didn't

think whilst watching it, the plot between the family was strong enough that it wrapped you up in the narrative.

I watched the movie in the theatre and was thoroughly entertained. While the movie did make me jump once (when the alien reached for the kid in the cellar), it was not really scary. It only really became truly "scary" when you stopped and did a "what if" something like this happened in "actual" life.

A great movie overall, with a unique srcipt. I like it and watch it regularly on DVD.

I enjoyed the movie. I saw it at the cinema with my friend, we jumped out of our seats at the alien reflected in the TV, we are such girls. :thumbs: I thought Mel Gibson was great but I always think that :thumbs:

I enjoyed Signs. I saw it in the theatre. It was really creepy and I thought the scariest part was when the aliens were crawling all over the house and then found a way into the basement. I thought it was entertaing and I really loved the family. Mel Gibson has always been a favorite of mine.

the problem is that our atmosphere has water in it...

Water vapor...

Why land on a planet with 75% of it's surface covered with water???