Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Data's Death

I have been thinking about Data's death for a long time. It is believed by the all knowing that his death was a noble. For me it was not. Picard let his ego get in the way and the need to proven himself that he is not Shizzron. I think that is how you spell his name. Plus Data would have been a live if Picard obeyed the regulations and stayed on board the ship. :wow:

Edited by Odie

Yeah, I thought that whole "Data gets it in the end" thing was pretty screwy. Not only was it executed poorly, but to be honest, it would have made more sense if the Captain died. *shrugs*

Whoa. :wow:

First of all, I am disappointed, too, that Data died, and I also think it was not a good decision to let him die.

But:

Who should have stopped Shinzon? Who should have beamed aboard the Scimitar to save the Enterprise? Riker wasn't on the Bridge. So, away missions are up to the 2nd officer. 2nd officer is Data. If Jean-Luc had stayed aboard the Enterprise, Data would have beamed over to the Scimitar anyway.

And, yes, Jean-Luc beamed over because it was a "personal thing" for him to kill Shinzon and he was ready to sacrifice his own life for saving his ship. It was definitely not his ego that came into his way.

Jean-Luc did not want Data to rescue him, it was Data's free will and he did it because Jean-Luc was his friend and Captain. I see nothing wrong with that.

I can't really add anything to this since I don't believe Data is dead. No body/parts found - no dead. That's the general rule for Hollywood, I believe.

Lessa and I wrote a story that had Q saving Data. I know other scenarios have been talked about as well.

I can't really add anything to this since I don't believe Data is dead. No body/parts found - no dead. That's the general rule for Hollywood, I believe.

Lessa and I wrote a story that had Q saving Data. I know other scenarios have been talked about as well.

I agree. That, and he's a fictional character and you can't kill those, so I'm reassured by that as well...:wow:

I have been thinking about Data's death for a long time.  It is believed by the all knowing that his death was a noble.

Yes, very noble indeed. :thumbs:

For me it was not.

Oh?

Picard let his ego get in the way and the need to proven himself that he is not Shizzron.  I think that is how you spell his name.

It's Shinzon, but yeah, I agree. Picard felt he had to prove that he was not Shinzon and maybe felt he might be able to get through to Shinzon while fighting him at the same time. Not sure about the getting through part though.

Plus Data would have been a live if Picard obeyed the regulations and stayed on board the ship. :thumbs:

I think Picard felt that he was partly responsible for the situation, and as a Captain, that he should be the one to stop Shinzon's Schimitar instead of sending a crewmen to their death. Data, however, was very loyal to Captain Picard and felt that he should sacrifice himself to save his captain. One of Data's most Human-like acts was sacrificing himself to save a fellow man. :thumbs:

NOTE: If I were Picard, I would'a orderred Geordi to eject the warp core, then used the Captain's Yacht or a shuttlecraft's tractor beam to fling it at the Schimitar. BOOM! :b-day:

Data lives :thumbs:

I'm glad there are people who don't believe that Data died. <_<

Data lives :frusty:

I am glad that some people believe that Data is not died. <_<

As sad as I was that Data died, I felt a huge amount of respect, honor, and even happiness for his character. His death was the final, determining step in his quest for humanity. In a single act of courage and honor, he captured that which defines humanity more than anything - mortality.

Data lives :frusty:

Exactly. <_<

There is no way that Nemesis was the end for him.

As sad as I was that Data died, I felt a huge amount of respect, honor, and even happiness for his character.  His death was the final, determining step in his quest for humanity.  In a single act of courage and honor, he captured that which defines humanity more than anything - mortality.

Yes, it was great act of courage and honor. It was how he died that bothers me. There was where different ways that they could have stop the ship. I think there was a third Romulan ship and they got him. :laugh:

As sad as I was that Data died, I felt a huge amount of respect, honor, and even happiness for his character. His death was the final, determining step in his quest for humanity. In a single act of courage and honor, he captured that which defines humanity more than anything - mortality.

very very well said, as for datas death i thought it was nobel and heroic i cried!!!!!! Data risked his own life to save that of one of his best friends

Its the whole "Data does Spock death" that PISSES me off

what do you mean their deaths were different the only commonality is that they risked their lives for that of their shipmates, but then again didnt kirk...

I do not think Data's death was in any similar to Spocks. One, Spock left his thoughts and mind in McCoy. So the mind of Spock really was not dead. I am not sure why Spock did that: did he think he had chances of coming back. I do not think that Spock knew that his body would be born again on the Genesis Planet. I think Spock left his mind in McCoy thinking may end up in the brain of another Vulcan.

I do not think Data's death was in any similar to Spocks. One, Spock left his thoughts and mind in McCoy. So the mind of Spock really was not dead. I am not sure why Spock did that: did he think he had chances of coming back. I do not think that Spock knew that his body would be born again on the Genesis Planet. I think Spock left his mind in McCoy thinking may end up in the brain of another Vulcan.

good point, Data.

i mean the actual death wasnt dead.. you see what i mean is that spock died by himself.. he didnt really save kirk then kill himself he went down.. then him and kirk were together wen he died no one saw him .. though his thoughts were trasnfered into B4

i mean the actual death wasnt dead.. you see what i mean is that spock died by himself.. he didnt really save kirk then kill himself he went down.. then him and kirk were together wen he died no one saw him .. though his thoughts were trasnfered into B4

Hey that is a good point. Maybe by Data transfering his thoughts to B4 gives the chance to build another Data. In a way, that maybe kinda similar to Spock leaving his mind in McCoy's brain. Contra as McCoy called it.

Hey that is a good point. Maybe by Data transfering his thoughts to B4 gives the chance to build another Data. In a way, that maybe kinda similar to Spock leaving his mind in McCoy's brain. Contra as McCoy called it.

Yeah. Actually, building another body may prove to be a good idea(either his former appearance or possibly human. bold print, is my pick, but if they decided to make him appear human, that woudl be ok too). I mean, yes I originally had opposed that idea....but over the following months after I first saw Nemesis and giving this scenario much thought, I have very quickly changed my mind about this.

Transplanting his memories into a new body may be a good idea...however, I still say that he should be portrayed by Brent Spiner(and I am probably going to be forever stubborn about that :laugh: :) ). *shrug* what do you all think?

Edited by Yillara_Soong

How about a slingshot around the sun?.... you're in time warp. Go sometime between the 19th Century and the 24th Century and beam Data's head out of the mine below San Francisco.

Put that head on B4 and Bingo! Data is back.

So far, IMO, all of the "deaths" in Star Trek (of major characters, with the exception of Spock) have done nothing to add to the story that they were telling. i.e. Yar, Kirk, Data.

I haven't stopped watching, though! :)

How about a slingshot around the sun?.... you're in time warp.  Go sometime between the 19th Century and the 24th Century and beam Data's head out of the mine below San Francisco. 

Put that head on B4 and Bingo!  Data is back.

I wonder if B4s other neural nets in his body could handle Data's head.

Another idea, which somebody told me that Brent Spiner suggested. How about waiting some 16 years for Data to return in a new body. The reason for this is that Brent Spiner's son could play the new android body for Data. He will probably look much like Brent himself, mainly because he is his son. :) Can people wait that long? Will people cease to remember how cool Data had been?

Data's death could have been prevented if the crew thought about transporting him back through a shuttle or captain's yacht...

Remember, the fore was more damaged than the aft...

Data's death could have been prevented if the crew thought about transporting him back through a shuttle or captain's yacht...

I thought about this too, but I doubt the Schimitar only had one shuttlebay and it's possible one of it's lesser weapons was still functionable. If a shuttle was sent towards the Schimitar, it's possible that it would be blown to bits.

I thought about this too, but I doubt the Schimitar only had one shuttlebay and it's possible one of it's lesser weapons was still functionable. If a shuttle was sent towards the Schimitar, it's possible that it would be blown to bits.

They could have, but they didn't.

Edited by Odie

:blink: He shouldn't have died, it would have made more sense if Picard had of died. :b-day: