Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Symbionts

They are in Startrek and now I see them in Stargate. Any difference? Same thing. To anyone who watches both shows. :laugh: Jedzia Dax was one, or had one, however you want to say it. Then she was Ezra? Is that right? Before them she was a man, name of ? Who was a muderer, correct? Help me here, anyone?

I noticed some silimarities but they are not the same. The symbiots in Star Trek are mostly compatible with the Trill - Riker served as a temporary host once but wasn't really compatible.

The Stargate creatures are more parasite than symbiote and they are called goa'uld. They seem to be compatible with a variety of life forms not just human (such as Onas). While Trills seem to blend with their symbiote the goa'uld take over the host completely and the host is dormant. An exception is the Tokra who share but take turns more than they blend.

The trill symbiote lives in the abdomen and looks sort of like a slug - the goa'uld attaches to the brainstem and looks like a winged snake.

Jadzia had several hosts, the most famous we kept hearing about was Kirzan - I think the one you're talking about was Tobin but someone else can answer that better.

The Dax hosts were Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, Curzon, Jadzia and Ezri. Joran Dax killed a doctor with the Symbiosis Commission.

^

Ah, yes, Kirzan. Correction, Curzon. Well, this simbiot business sounds kind of tricky. Hmm, brainstem or abdomen? In Stargate is it something people actually choose or is it some kind of punishment. Sounds terrible. The Startrek host seem to consider this some sort of honor. I know there are benefits, like they have the collective memory of all the previous hosts in ST. This is interesting stuff. Think I'll stroll on over to the library and see what else I can find out. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

Yes in Star Trek the Trill consider it an honor (I personally am a bit put off by the idea).

In Stargate it is against the hosts will and the Goa'uld are the enemy. Again the Tokra are an exception in that the hosts volunteer - and the Goa'uld does endow them with perfect physical health.

Yes in Star Trek the Trill consider it an honor (I personally am a bit put off by the idea).

In Stargate it is against the hosts will and the Goa'uld are the enemy.  Again the Tokra are an exception in that the hosts volunteer - and the Goa'uld does endow them with perfect physical health.

Me too. Having some foriegn thing living in your chest like that. So on Stargate it's a pretty unpleasnt propostion. Sounds like ALIEN, you know the movies? Sigorney Weaver's. That sounds more like the StarGate thingy. Butterfly shaped. But didn't the alien also attach to the face? What was that about. Do you remember that? :laugh:

It's been a long time since I say Alien but the thing did attach to that guy's face. I think it did that to lay eggs which in that ever so famous scene burst forth from the guys chest. I think humans were just hosts to incubate the eggs and then died when the eggs matured.

Also, A Trill Symbiote Just Shares Knowledge And Is Really A Blending Of Host & Symbiote

A Goa'uld Symbiote Completely Supresses The Host And Takes Over.

And The Goa'uld Want Perfect Host, So If You're Not Choose Out The Group Of Canidates, All You Have To Worry Is Being Shot By The Jaffa.

Apophis-* After Choosing Who'd Be The "Children Of The Gods" *-"Kill The Rest."

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

It's been a long time since I say Alien but the thing did attach to that guy's face. I think it did that to lay eggs which in that ever so famous scene burst forth from the guys chest. I think humans were just hosts to incubate the eggs and then died when the eggs matured.

I think the Aliens were more parasites until they matured to a certain point.

I think the Aliens were more parasites until they matured to a certain point.

Yeah, They Just Used Hosts As Incubaters

HMM, get this. I couldn't find anything on Simbiots, what's up with that? I mean what are they anyway? Aliens? Species? Parasites? A Condition? What? Help! :P :dude:

I want pictures. I want more information!

Edited by Jeanway

This is from Star Trek.com

Click for Spoiler:

Trill

Episode: Emissary, Part I

Planet: Trill

A unique "joined race" whose humanoid members have provided host bodies for small soft-bodied entities in a symbiotic relationship; Among the humanoid Trill joined species, apparently at least two races of hosts are used to house a symbiont: those of the ridged forehead, like Odan, and those like Jadzia, Curzon and Selin, with a narrow speckled band running along the hairline to the sides of the neck, then down along the body.

The symbiont body is a foot-long purplish lump of cranial and exoskeletal tissue, some are susceptible to damage by transporter beam. At Peliar Zel, the Trill can have a replacement body on hand for Odan in 40 hours; he will last only 1-2 hours in stasis, and a human body makes a temporary but limited host.

Since the symbiont integrates each new host's personality with its own after joining, Trill relationships are often hard for single-unit species to deal with and sometimes don't survive the change. Aside from the exceptions like Curzon, Trills are usually very responsible and moderate or reserved in personality; the symbionts don't seek romance and try to adhere to a "higher plane," feeling it a nuisance and a weakness of the young — although the host body occasionally indulges, as Curzon and Odan did.

The symbiont does carry memories of time shared with each of its hosts, and each new combination — aside from gender, height and weight — carries a different blood type, metabolism, nervous system, and brain wave pattern. The complex brain carries two cerebral nuclei — one in each being, linked together — whose brain wave patterns can each be scanned separately as well as together. The two are biologically interdependent but at 93 hours after their joining, neither can survive without the other.

Legally, the joined race is a tangle for Science Officer Dax's extradition arbiter Renora, since records of any legal and medical decisions regarding antecedent host culpability are almost nonexistent. A Trill host's hands feel cold-blooded to the touch; their more overtly developed senses include identifying a known individual only by the audible rhythm of footsteps.

Trill physiology may be the reason why Science Officer Dax is the first of the Deep Space Nine senior staff to show symptoms of the alien telepathic archival matrix. The humanoid host species' unruly children are not above throwing rocks at windows, just like their Human and Bajoran counterparts, at least. To others, Trill may seem on the arrogant side. Only one Trill in 10 is chosen to be joined to the "thousands" of symbionts, but those not joined still lead normal, productive lives. The brains of hosts produce endorphins as in the human brain.

Thousands of symbionts live on Trill. Joined Trills are allergic to insect bites, since the biochemical connections of the symbiont and host can't tolerate the toxins. As seen with Jadzia, they are more resistant to a noxious paralyzing volcanic gas found on planet LS VI than other humanoids such as Bajorans. Among outworlders, they have been in contact with Klingons at least since 2289.

Judging by the Belar brothers, a Trill's lineal or family name follows the given name, as is done on Earth, but a host drops his lineal name in favor of the symbiont's. Renhol and others at the Symbiosis Commission worry that the symbionts would be bartered as commodities if the truth were known that half the population could be hosts, rather than the 1-in-1,000 ratio officially quoted and the reason behind the rigorous selection and training program. Social role equality seems apparent among the population, at least in medicine, with doctors and nurses of both genders.

I thought of Trill then decided not to search it, thank you U.H. No pictures, huh?

Just figured out why, the wrong spelling, DUH :P

And me the Head of the 'Grammar Police', how embarrasing :P :dude:

Edited by Jeanway

Here's Col. O'Neill & A Goa'uld From Season 3's "Into The Fire"

301.jpg

that thing looks nasty..

Here's Col. O'Neill & A Goa'uld From Season 3's "Into The Fire"

301.jpg

that thing looks nasty..

Boy, I sure opened up a can of worms :dude:

They are in Startrek and now I see them in Stargate.

I assume you mean the Trill symbionts from DS9.

Any difference?

Yes. SG-1 has snake-like aliens called the Goa'uld who take people as hosts. The blended Trill host/symbiont relationship is a more antural one since they are both from the same planet. In SG-1, the Goa'uld enter the body forcably and wrap arround your upper spinal column, taking control of your brain, repressing your mind. In DS9, the worm-like symbiont enters a "pouch" on the belly of a Trill and blends with the host into a complete personallity.

Same thing.

Nope.

To anyone who watches both shows. :dude: Jedzia Dax was one, or had one, however you want to say it.

Jadzia Dax blended with a symbiont willfully.

Then she was Ezra?

Well, Dax is the name of the symbiont, Jadzia was the name of the host. Jadzia was murderred by Dukat, but Dr. Bashir managed to save Dax. On the way back to Trill (also the home world), Dax's condition went critical. Ezri, a Trill member of the crew, was Dax's last hope, so Dax was implanted in Ezri's pouch. If the joining lasts more than a day or two, it becomes permanent till the host dies. Premature removal will kill the host after a few days. Ezri is the Dax host in season 7.

Is that right?

Yes. Jadzia Dax, then Ezri Dax. Once joined, the name of the symbiont replaces the hosts last name. This is done so that the name represents both sides of the blended personallity.

Before them she was a man, name of ?

Before Dax found it's way to Jadzia, it was hosted by a man named Curzon Dax, a very close friend and mentor to Captain Sisko.

Who was a muderer, correct?

No, that was an even earlier host.

Here's a link to StarTrek.com for more information on the Trill symbionts.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ok, a joined Trill is like a cross between a Jaffa (Goa'uld incubator slave), and a Tok'Ra, in the way that a Jaffa has the organism inside the abdomen like a trill, but like Tok'Ra, Trill share the body.

BTW it's Tok'Ra, not Tokra, it means Against Ra

Tok = Against (in Goa'uld)

Ra = A dead Goa'uld who played a god and enslaved millions.