Sign in to follow this  
Tina

Reviving the dying Franchise

I LOVE STAR TREK(let me make that clear)

But somthing is wrong.There is no Spark no Ummph No Moxy.I just watched the Bring back Kirk trailer and i must say HURRAH! This is what we NEED to revive the dying Trek Franchise

I mean come on folks are the movies what they could be..NO

Is Enterprise living up to its potential...NO

Are the fans getting tired of the bickering between Berman and paramount >>YES

Lets one,revive Kirk

Two,give the Enterprise crew some Real Problems and Real(ok Trek) Situations.

Three,Boot out Berman and put someone else in charge(NOT MICHEAL EISNER maybe George lucas)

I don't care about the details, I just want Enterprise! I wish Voyager was on syndication where I live. I get nothing here now. It's a barren wasteland here. :o .

I'm deprived and not happy about this :laugh:

I know Jeanway

Its hard not having your Trek fix.Especially when the new stuff is not as good

But somthing is wrong.There is no Spark no Ummph No Moxy

I disagree Tina, ENT and the TCW rocks my Star Trek world. I get into to it because I try to 'forget' what I know about the future, just letting it become it's own thing for now and saving final judgment on it until it has finished.

I mean come on folks are the movies what they could be..NO

The movies were fine; they all have been what Trek is about. It is imo fan participation that is no longer all it used to be. Now the bashing and picking it apart (present company excluded) has become the Worldwide fan obsession.

Is Enterprise living up to its potential...NO

Yes it is, again it's the fans that would rather find its faults than celebrate its accomplishments

Are the fans getting tired of the bickering between Berman and paramount >>YES

Bickering between Paramount and Berman? Hahahahahaha! See above.

Lets one,revive Kirk

See below *

Two,give the Enterprise crew some Real Problems and Real(ok Trek) Situations.

Imo the TCW is a real Trek situation; the difference is it taking longer than the usual 1 or 2 episodes to conclude. Also many just assume it's going to turn ok but I'm not so sure, losing TCW would be a devastating low to me and I'm fearful it could happen. Even if that does not happen the thought of it happening helps me enjoy the series as a newcomer would.

Three,Boot out Berman and put someone else in charge(NOT MICHEAL EISNER maybe George lucas)

Please be realistic, Lucas would not touch Trek with a ten-foot pole (well maybe for a crossover but do we want that? I don't, that is pushing it too far for me. [love SW btw])

*I'm torn between agreeing and disagreeing. The issue has become so big and there are now so many variables I'm having a difficult time keeping them all in perspective but I'll try to coherently post my feelings here.

On the one hand I adore the idea of bringing back Kirk and involving him in ENT and the TCW, it could all serve as (as someone else put it) an "All Good Things" to the Trek Saga but END TREK, what am I thinking? :dude: That is crazy but it wouldn't have to mean it's the complete end, just the end of everything started so far; a kind of crescendo to everything that has been building up for almost forty years. That is what I see when I see the bring back Kirk trailer.

What would be next? Freshness. A newly aligned Alpha Quadrant which the very existence of proves again the lesson of Trek that all is not in vain; there is always a new reason to keep trying for a better future. A new stronger alliance than ever before ready to reach out to the non aligned sections of our galaxy and continue to do what has always been the motto, Explore.

I am glad you feel vindicated Alter

(thanks Abakai)

Ok here it goes

I hate Enterprise.Its boring and the characters are not likable and one dimentional.I have a high standered for Star Trek(being spoiled on the Plot rich TNG and DS9 as well as Voyager).I demand better quality special effects and stories. Enterprise as well as the last two movies were boring and done before. Most fans are angry at what the franchise has become.I have watched some episodes of Enterprise but the "TCW" is getting dated.RESOLVE it already!Enterprise has such potential.Now develop it.

Bickering between Paramount and Berman? Hahahahahaha! See above
I am glad you find my opinions AMUSING (as most people do) But its true.Berman has dropped the ball with the last two movies and Enterprise..You want proof? The last two movies failed at the box office and Enterprise is threatned with cancellation

What would be next? Freshness. A newly aligned Alpha Quadrant which the very existence of proves again the lesson of Trek that all is not in vain; there is always a new reason to keep trying for a better future. A new stronger alliance than ever before ready to reach out to the non aligned sections of our galaxy and continue to do what has always been the motto, Explore.

Thats my exact point.Trek needs a revival somehow.Maybe if they put it on the shelf for 10 years they could go back to it and look at it with a fresh perspective.

My feeling vindicated was a result of recieving an expeced response to the points I was trying to make.

I am glad you find my opinions AMUSING (as most people do) But its true

I wasn't laughing at your opinion I was laughing at what I perceived to be irony between yours and my opinions, I'm sorry you misunderstood. Was that one line by me the reason you disagreed with everything I said?

Edited by Alterego

1)I love ENT....that last episode was the most exciting ST episode ever.

2)The movies are Star Trek and true I liked some better than others, but

right now there's nothing to look forward at all on the big screen.

I agree with Alterego...Star Rules! :dude:

I like Enterprise but I do think there needs to be some originality injected into the show. This is the first real human starship but the stories, to me at least, have a been there done that feel. I'll tune in every week til the bitter end but I'd like something more original.

I like Enterprise very much. I think it's probably going to be my favourite among all the series once its run finishes.

Although I feel the first season had some weak episodes, I think the writers did excellent work building up the characters and setting the stage for future relationships (I'm not talking about romance in case someone decides to jump all over this word). The characters are much more realistic in Enterprise because they show weaknesses, whereas I felt TNG characters were comparatively one-dimensional (love the series though I do). I can't really comment much on DS9 and Voyager since I missed so many episodes.

I think there are also a lot of fans who are wannabe script writers and think just because they've seen an episode five times and know what colour a certain button on a certain control panel is that they are all-knowing about the show. Somehow they think this useless information gives them some divine right to slam every little detail of later episodes. I'm so tired of hearing complaints about continuity and technology on Enterprise not fitting in with what we know from before.

Two typical complaints are about continuity and technology. As far as I can tell, there really haven't been any continuity issues that can't be resolved eventually or explained by fans who think, rather than moan. And when people go off on the technology in Enterprise looking more futuristic than TOS, well, that's just ridiculous. The tech. in TOS looked futuristic at the time the show was made, but looks stone age nowadays. My goodness, my PDA looks more advanced than anything I saw in that series. It would be absolutely ridiculous to turn back the clock to the late 1960's from a modern viewer's perspective. The show needs to look like a believable future to us now as well as maintain ties to what has gone before. Sometimes these two issues can not be reconciled and fans have to just put that aside.

Enterprise has done very well in staying true to Trek's roots - character driven science fiction.

And seriously Tinadoll, your comment that you disagree with what AE said without even knowing what the TCW is about is rather hilarious. I mentioned above that it drives me nuts when fans pick out minor details to criticise and you might wonder why I've picked this one out. Well, it's not minor. In fact, it's been one of the main premises of the show since the first episode. Not knowing what it is and then complaining about what's wrong with Trek and not having the slightest clue what's going on smacks of extreme hypocrisy.

Ok here it goes

I hate Enterprise.

That makes your views biased. :P

Its boring and the characters are not likable and one dimentional.

That's a matter of opinion. I think ENT rocks, the characters are very likable, and I find them multi-dimensional.

I have a high standered for Star Trek(being spoiled on the Plot rich TNG and DS9 as well as Voyager).

Me too!

I demand better quality special effects and stories.

Um... Are you aware the ENTERPRISE has the best special effects of any TV show on TV to date? :P As for the stories, I believe them to be high quallity.

Enterprise as well as the last two movies were boring and done before.

1. When did they do a prequal before? :dude:

2. I don't recall them doing a movie with a "fountain of youth" theme.

3. Yes, NEMESIS uses ideas from previous Trek movies. However, I view NEM as a "best of" movie, using the best elements of previous movies for an all out action movie.

I can understand finding ENT borring in seasons 1 & 2. Have you seen season 3? I also understand how Insurrection can be borring since it's more of an intellectual story, but as for Nemesis... how is it borring? :P

Most fans are angry at what the franchise has become.

Which is?

I have watched some episodes of Enterprise but the "TCW" is getting dated.RESOLVE it already!

Why is it getting dated? I think it's a magnificent mystery. Why resolve it already? I didn't see anyone screaming, "Resolve the Dominion war already!"

Enterprise has such potential.Now develop it.

Agreed. They have.

I am glad you find my opinions AMUSING (as most people do) But its true.Berman has dropped the ball with the last two movies and Enterprise..

I believe he was laughing at the idea of Paramount and Berman bickerring when it's the fans who bicker. I do not believe Berman dropped the ball with movies 9&10 nor ENT, in fact, he's put a lot of effort into both movies and ENT.

You want proof? The last two movies failed at the box office and Enterprise is threatned with cancellation

This is becuase of the extreme "division" of fans. Take SUPERMAN for example. Each show or series of movies is a "different" vission of Superman, but it's always Superman. They aren't interconnected, so there's nothing to get into a fuss over. STAR TREK, however, is very interconnected. ENT doesn't fit into the preconcieved fan idea of how the 22nd century is, so they hate it. ST-9 wasn't action packed and had a lot of humor, so fans hated it. ST-10 had a lot of action and less humor, so fans hated it. Really, it seems fans cannot be please these days. :P

Thats my exact point.Trek needs a revival somehow.Maybe if they put it on the shelf for 10 years they could go back to it and look at it with a fresh perspective.

Shelf Trek for 10 years? Why so long? Do you think they are incapable of thinking up new ideas so they need an entire decade to come up with something? I agree that a break is needed, but no more than 3 years. Enough time to create hunger in fans and non-fans as well as time to develope Series 6. I don't think Trek needs a revival. I think ENT needs to be sold to a network that will respect the show, something like the SCI-FI channel, FOX, the WB, a network like that. If they shop it on the WB, my fear would be that it becomes about "relationships" and very little sci-fi. Personally, I think that the franchise doesn't need an overall refit. TOS, TNG, DS9, & VOY all ended. All they need to do is shop ENT to a better network and come up with a new cast for the 11th movie, wether it be DS9, VOY, a mix of TNG-era characters, ENT, or a new cast.

CJLP you rule!!! :dude: :P :P

That's exactly how I feel...you just say it so much better....

If people don't like ENT stop watching...I didn't really like DS9 all that

much, but I don't bash it or the shows creators...they can't please every

one all the time.....

I think the bashers could be the demise of the franchise!

Time will tell!!! :P

(I'm glad i'm getting attacked at all fronst.Especially from CJLP who always attacks my views)

ok here it goes

Ok here it goes

I hate Enterprise. 

That makes your views biased. 

That's a matter of opinion. I think ENT rocks, the characters are very likable, and I find them multi-dimensional.

So what? I watched it for awile and got bored with it.Now i hate it (and so do others as the ratings show)

Um... Are you aware the ENTERPRISE has the best special effects of any TV show on TV to date

and showing a ship going into warp is good special effects/More battles ,diffrent ships,better races,better stories

1. When did they do a prequal before? 

3. Yes, NEMESIS uses ideas from previous Trek movies. However, I view NEM as a "best of" movie, using the best elements of previous movies for an all out action movie.

1.Not the prequal notion but each individual story

2. Fountin of youth.Ahem TOS,VOY and TNG hall had fountin of youth themes(i recall vaugly )

3.The best trek movie is and will always be Wrath of kahn.this shows how you can expand and continue a story

Which is?

Dated and boring

have watched some episodes of Enterprise but the "TCW" is getting dated.RESOLVE it already!

Why is it getting dated? I think it's a magnificent mystery. Why resolve it already? I didn't see anyone screaming, "Resolve the Dominion war already!"

::puts hand up:: i did..and then they finished it.And it resolved it well(was not a big fan of Ds9 either)

Agreed. They have.

Nope.The characters are still one dimentinal.i have no idea who they are as people.

Ok thats all for CJLP

V_seven you are next- i'm NOT a basher.i'm a person who thinks Trek needs an improvement is that so wrong.I am sick of the crap they feed us and dare to call it Trek>Star Wars fans were up in arms about the last two movies ( i thought one lacked but two was pretty good).If you don't like what i say don't read it.Go onto the Enterprise forum and talk how great it is

Red shirt

And seriously Tinadoll, your comment that you disagree with what AE said without even knowing what the TCW is about is rather hilarious. I mentioned above that it drives me nuts when fans pick out minor details to criticise and you might wonder why I've picked this one out. Well, it's not minor. In fact, it's been one of the main premises of the show since the first episode. Not knowing what it is and then complaining about what's wrong with Trek and not having the slightest clue what's going on smacks of extreme hypocrisy.

I KNOW what the Temperal Cold war is.I did not know its achronim,I also mentioned that I barely watched this season(due to extreme bordem). I did however watch the first two and i must say it was horrible compaired to other Trek shows.BTW i have a couple of words for you but of course Alter would censor me.

I LOVE TREK.I have watched every series (until this one)And i think it needs to be shelved.10 years ..5 years..150 years.It don't matter.If they had writers that were not rehashing older ST plots for a Unique show i would watch it.On the other hand time will tell about the "bashers" When Enterprise is CANCELLED and the next movie BOMBS don't come crying to me

BTW f you are here to critsize me DO IT ELSEWHERE

(or Alter if you want to close this forum .)

because all i will probally get is :I LOVE ENTERPRSE YOU SUCK HATER.And that would be a waste of space

I think the bashers could be the demise of the franchise!

Time will tell!!! :o

I was very careful not to call anyone a basher, I believe

that if the ENT gets cancelled or they don't make another

big screem film...bashers should take some of the blame!

I totally agree you have every right to HATE ENT as I have

the right to disagree with you in this forum!

I meant no personal attack..its just an opinion, and in 100 years

who's gonna care?

I'm sorry if I made you feel attacked, that was not my intension :P

Ok V :o I feel better that you did not mean it as a personal attack(as it read like one to me in the heat of the moment)

i think they SHOULD make more movies and series.But make it but not often so the fans have some sense of anticipation .Also they should improve the story and the development of characters.

(I'm glad i'm getting attacked at all fronst.Especially from CJLP who always attacks my views)

Disagreeing with you and having a discussion is not an attack. :lol:

ok here it goes

Ok here it goes

I hate Enterprise. 

That makes your views biased. 

So what? I watched it for awile and got bored with it.Now i hate it (and so do others as the ratings show)

Well, sometimes I've gotten board with TV shows, so I can understand how you feel. However, I've never "hated" a TV show unless I felt it had a bad influence on society. There are better things to do than hate a TV show. :clap:

Um... Are you aware the ENTERPRISE has the best special effects of any TV show on TV to date

and showing a ship going into warp is good special effects/More battles ,diffrent ships,better races,better stories

We've seen all of that. :clap:

1. When did they do a prequal before? 

1.Not the prequal notion but each individual story

2. Fountin of youth.Ahem TOS,VOY and TNG hall had fountin of youth themes(i recall vaugly )

3.The best trek movie is and will always be Wrath of kahn.this shows how you can expand and continue a story

1. Every TV show recycles ideas from other TV episodes, movies, books, and so forth. So your complaint that ENT "recycles old episodes" is moot.

2. TOS, TNG, & VOY have had fountain-of-youth themes, but so have TV episodes of other shows, over a dozen movies, and countless books. INSURRECTION's story was very unique in my opinion. Instead of a device, place, fountain, pool, or whatever, we had an entire world where people never grew old, and on top of that, they weren't corrupted! :) Well, the Son'a were, but the Ba'Ku weren't.

3. ST2:TWOK being the best movie is your opinion and not a fact.

Which is?

Dated and boring

Again, this is your opinion and doesn't really say anything about the franchise.

have watched some episodes of Enterprise but the "TCW" is getting dated.RESOLVE it already!

::puts hand up:: i did..and then they finished it.And it resolved it well(was not a big fan of Ds9 either)

Most Trek fans, including myself, enjoyed the Dominion War arc. It lasted 2 seasons where as ENT's Xindi arc is only lasing one season. Most fans seem to enjoy the Xindi arc.

Agreed. They have.

Nope.The characters are still one dimentinal.i have no idea who they are as people.

Really? Aside from Travis, I feel the characters have been explored greatly. I know each character enough to enjoy them and believe how they'd act in a new situation.

Ok thats all for CJLP

V_seven you are next- i'm NOT a basher.i'm a person who thinks Trek needs an improvement is that so wrong.I am sick of the crap they feed us and dare to call it Trek>Star Wars fans were up in arms about the last two movies ( i thought one lacked but two was pretty good).If you don't like what i say don't read it.Go onto the Enterprise forum and talk how great it is

You're not a basher, you you call ENT, ST:I, & ST:N "crap". Got it. :(

Red shirt

I KNOW what the Temperal Cold war is.I did not know its achronim,I also mentioned that I barely watched this season(due to extreme bordem). I did however watch the first two and i must say it was horrible compaired to other Trek shows.BTW i have a couple of words for you but of course Alter would censor me.

If you've hardly watched this season, then how can you judge ENT and call it borring if you haven't been watching? :o The first two episodes don't compare to the rest of the season. I recommend watching all of season 3 before passing judgment. :)

I LOVE TREK.I have watched every series (until this one)And i think it needs to be shelved.10 years ..5 years..150 years.It don't matter.If they had writers that were not rehashing older ST plots for a Unique show i would watch it.On the other hand time will tell about the "bashers" When Enterprise is CANCELLED and the next movie BOMBS don't come crying to me

How can you love Trek and want it to end at the same time? :o That sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If Trek is shelved, it won't return, and it if does, it'll be as a remake or reimagining. Both of which, I would have no interrest in seeing. You don't have to like every series and movie they produce. Just sit back, watch something else, and hope for better next time. B)

BTW f you are here to critsize me DO IT ELSEWHERE

(or Alter if you want to close this forum .)

You mean, if we disagree with you, we're not allowed to post? Gosh, that sounds open minded... :P This is a forum after all, we are allowed to disagree.

because all i will probally get is :I LOVE ENTERPRSE YOU SUCK HATER.And that would be a waste of space

You didn't get that from me. You got a thought out post that disagree with your views and offered different ones.

Well, sometimes I've gotten board with TV shows, so I can understand how you feel. However, I've never "hated" a TV show unless I felt it had a bad influence on society. There are better things to do than hate a TV show. 

Yeah your right HATE is such a strong word... I DISLIKE Enterprise because it is not my type of Star Trek(better..i had cheesecake..why i am mellow)

You're not a basher, you you call ENT, ST:I, & ST:N "crap". Got it. 

I snse sarcasm in your voice..Oh well

A "Basher" hates the whole thing..I like Trek ALOT but i am tired of the crap they spoon feed us.

If you've hardly watched this season, then how can you judge ENT and call it borring if you haven't been watching?  The first two episodes don't compare to the rest of the season. I recommend watching all of season 3 before passing judgment. 

Who says i ONLY watched the first two episodes..I might have watched two whole months worth

How can you love Trek and want it to end at the same time?  That sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If Trek is shelved, it won't return, and it if does, it'll be as a remake or reimagining. Both of which, I would have no interrest in seeing. You don't have to like every series and movie they produce. Just sit back, watch something else, and hope for better next time. 

I don't WANT IT to end..very very sad as a matter of fact.But how else are they going to revive the genre.And of course it will return,Its Star trek for petes sake.But i have read better stuff from the fans.If they would only let some of the fas write.It would be somthing

this is off topic but I have to ask, how do you guys come up with all of this. I loose interest in my own posts if they go beyond 2 sentences. :wow:

Hey Fen

I just asked a simple trek question and i got jumped by a whole buncha trekkies

I'm just saying I don't see how you guys do it, it lose interest in my own responses if I have to type to much. When a post starts to feel like homework I hit the backspace key, know what I mean?

Well, sometimes I've gotten board with TV shows, so I can understand how you feel. However, I've never "hated" a TV show unless I felt it had a bad influence on society. There are better things to do than hate a TV show. 

Yeah your right HATE is such a strong word... I DISLIKE Enterprise because it is not my type of Star Trek(better..i had cheesecake..why i am mellow)

Ok, now that sounds perfectly resonable to me. :wow:

You're not a basher, you you call ENT, ST:I, & ST:N "crap". Got it. 

I snse sarcasm in your voice..Oh well

A "Basher" hates the whole thing..I like Trek ALOT but i am tired of the crap they spoon feed us.

Yes, it was sarcasm becuase your statement seemed contradictory to me. A "basher" is someone who "bashes". An "ENT basher" would be someone who bashes the show and hates it, scarring off new fans, and would even like to see it cancelled. Turn off the TV, and walla, ENT is gone. :P

If you've hardly watched this season, then how can you judge ENT and call it borring if you haven't been watching?  The first two episodes don't compare to the rest of the season. I recommend watching all of season 3 before passing judgment. 

Who says i ONLY watched the first two episodes..I might have watched two whole months worth

You said you only watched the first two episodes.

How can you love Trek and want it to end at the same time?  That sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If Trek is shelved, it won't return, and it if does, it'll be as a remake or reimagining. Both of which, I would have no interrest in seeing. You don't have to like every series and movie they produce. Just sit back, watch something else, and hope for better next time. 

I don't WANT IT to end..very very sad as a matter of fact.But how else are they going to revive the genre.And of course it will return,Its Star trek for petes sake.But i have read better stuff from the fans.If they would only let some of the fas write.It would be somthing

You don't want it to end? That's spectacular! :huh: (not sarcasm) How could they revive the genre? Right now, it would be very difficult. People just aren't interrested in a TV show set in "space". Ask any person on the street, they'd rather watch something more down to Earth. As a result, most people think Trek's too "out there". :( If it does go away, it probably won't return. I don't believe that saying Trek will return just becuase it's Trek makes much sense... :huh: I think that if Trek did go away and return, it would return as a campy remake of TOS or a complete franchise reboot. :wow:

I love all forms of Trek and Ent is up there with the best of them

BTW TCW is Temporal Cold War

I thought you hated Voyager???

Yes, it was sarcasm becuase your statement seemed contradictory to me. A "basher" is someone who "bashes". An "ENT basher" would be someone who bashes the show and hates it, scarring off new fans, and would even like to see it cancelled. Turn off the TV, and walla, ENT is gone. 

Or better yet change the channel to the West Wing a much better show..

I'm just saying I don't see how you guys do it, it lose interest in my own responses if I have to type to much. When a post starts to feel like homework I hit the backspace key, know what I mean?

I know fen but sometimes people have to pick your opinions apart inorder to point out you are wrong in your assumption.Then you have to pick thier pickings apart in order to prove that you are RIGHT

You know how tou revive the genre guys? LET THE FANS WRITE THE SHOWS

I am sure that we have great ideas on how we want our favorite space concept to go

What i would do: One give us more backround character on Enterprise

Who is Trip,why does T'pol have attitude,why is Archer like that(his Dad ..ok who was his Dad?)Who is hoshi? Where are they from etc etc

Two: better special effects (ala more battle scenes)

Three: Enterpise needs to tone down its sexual content alot.

four: Less hints of the future.No hi i'm Ensign Kirk or Hi i'm Sarek

Five: More ships to interact with

six: MORE KLINGONS

Seven:Give the Vulcans less attitude

Your earlier thought on putting George Lucas in charge of Star Trek frightens me. The PT is okay but he has really sacrificed substance for FX. If he was in charge of ST it would be the same way.

It was just a passing thought about the franchise..I think ILM should do more of the special effects though(they did for TNG and recieved various emmys)