Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

Staying in Shape

I'm not talking about sports. What do you do in your everyday life to avoid getting fat? I ride my bike to work and back everyday as long as it's not too cold, too hot or raining. It's about 10km (about 6 miles) and it's actually faster than the subway unless I go super slow and way cheaper than a car.

I just read this article on the BBC about how buildings contribute to people being overweight. Personally, I'm not sure how much impact just walking around in the office would actually have on people - you'd need to be working in a pretty big building I'd say.

Click for Spoiler:

Architects join fight against flab

By Katty Kay

BBC News correspondent in Washington

Obesity costs American companies some $13bn (£7m) a year

If there is a lift to take you up to your office every day are you really going to choose the stairs?

Perhaps architects can help you decide by designing fat-fighting buildings which simply force you to walk more.

In the heart of suburban Kansas is an oasis of corporate fitness.

Telecom giant Sprint designed its 200-acre headquarters to make employees lose weight by forcing them to walk everywhere.

The motive: obesity now costs American companies some $13bn (£7m) a year.

'We lost 83kg'

Sprint employees Ed and Mary still drive 16km (10 miles) to work, but the rest of the day they walk.

Between them they have lost 83kg (182lbs), and they credit the layout of the campus.

"I don't ever take the elevators," says Mary.

"I have my computer case, my bags, all that and I'm walking up three flights of stairs every day just because I want that."

Ed adds: "Now I can get through a day, I'm not fatigued, I'm not stressed, my energy levels are much stronger and I feel I'm more productive."

Sprint built the car parks a 10-minute walk from the office buildings.

Now I can get through a day, I'm not fatigued, I'm not stressed and I feel I'm more productive

Ed

Sprint employee

Inside, Sprint asked the architects to make the staircases airy and inviting.

The company wants people to use them, so by contrast it has made the lifts slow and small.

But not everyone appreciates the enforced fitness regime.

"Walking over from the parking garage sucks," said one disgruntled employee.

"It's not bad," says another, "unless it's 110 degrees outside or below freezing and raining and cold."

Sprint vice-president Faye Davis says the grumbling is inevitable when you change people's habits.

Anyway making its workforce healthier is a battle the company cannot afford to lose.

"If you're overweight, you probably have a higher level of absenteeism or you get more fatigued during the day, perhaps you have a lower concentration span," says Ms Davis.

"We all know when we do exercise we have a higher energy level, we're more focused and we're not sick as often," she adds.

Sprint says this experiment shows that if you give employees a nudge, they will take more exercise and so lose weight.

It is good for company profits and for the health of the staff, of course.

Notable exception

The problem is, this is an exception.

Most office buildings in America simply give people the easy way out.

We took Sprint's architect Phil Dordai on a tour of a traditional office block in Washington DC to see how it fared in the fat test.

How did it rank as a fitness-friendly building?

Well, not very good.

"There's actually the three lifts here and no way to find the stairs," he comments.

How important is it for architects to help in the obesity battle?

"I think it's hugely important because none of us has much time in the course of the day to exercise, so if you can incorporate exercise and physical activity as part of your normal day where you work, that's very advantageous."

Back in Kansas, Sprint's campus is surrounded by six-lane highways.

In a culture where the car is king architecture can only do so much.

The challenge nationwide is to get Americans back on their feet.

Architects vs Flab

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

People are fat becuase they eat a lot of fast food, sit at school or work all day, then sit at home. If you eat right and stay active, or work out if you live in the city, then you should do all right unless you have a medical complication. That's just my view though, but I'm very convinced that that is the case. Sometimes people make life too complicated. When I became active and starting eating right (cutting out pizza :P ) I started loosing weight fast! :o

I've got two toddlers that keep me running around all day. blah.gif Besides, I'm a workout freak. I workout every day just because it's something I really enjoy.

I go to the gym a lot. I find it really fun. I love to run. Once it warms up I am going to start running outside more and I always bike a lot in the summer.

I go to the gym a lot. I find it really fun. I love to run. Once it warms up I am going to start running outside more and I always bike a lot in the summer.

What kind of bike do you have?

Here's a pic of my baby. Mine's a little different: blue instead of black and it has hydraulic disk brakes, mud guards, a comp, lights, a bottle rack and slick tires, but it basically looks like this.

post-12-1080458456.jpg

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I swim alot. Do a couple miles on the treadmill a couple days a week. Usually 5 days a week, I run/walk the beach, even in the winter. I'm kind of hearty that way. Spend alot of time outside. I kayak during the summer months and used to surf. Which is now hard to do on Lake Michigan :picard-sith:

I go about twice a week to the gym to pump some iron with a good friend of mine,i find it a good way to forget things and away to release my anger :force:

Most of my friends a jealous cause i have a SIX PACK to die for*lifts up tee-shirt*oh those stomach muscels look goooood :frusty::picard-sith:

Most of my friends a jealous cause i have a SIX PACK to die for*lifts up tee-shirt*oh those stomach muscels look goooood :frusty:  :picard-sith:

Well lets see them :force:

OK LADYS HERE YOU GO..sorry idont have time to pump them up

Edited by hangon

Yeah baby!  :frusty::picard-sith:

Hehe*blushes* i will do a little work out later and have them pumped up then you can see them better :force:

Hmm, this thread's going in different directions than I intended.  Oh well.

Sorry dude but when a lady wants to see my body who am i to disagree :picard-sith:

Like i said earlyer in this thread i would put up a nother pic of my ABS :picard-sith:

so ladys what do you think??

Wow, this thread is disturbing now. I lift weights and so on. Playing guitar also keeps me in shape too.

CJLP, obesity is attached to many differant things. Some genetic, and some lifestyle choices and time.

Sorry dude but when a lady wants to see my body who am i to disagree

Yeah, yeah, just don't drop the camera any lower. :force:

:frusty: NOOOO dont worry the cam will not be going lower, sorry if i offended anyone it was a joke between me and RC...i promise no more photos :picard-sith:

Like i said earlyer in this thread i would put up a nother pic of my ABS :frusty:

You need to get some sun, :picard-sith:

Like i said earlyer in this thread i would put up a nother pic of my ABS :frusty:

You need to get some sun, :picard-sith:

Yes thats true but hey sum :force: mers coming and i live 20 mins from the beach

Guest Guest
Sorry dude but when a lady wants to see my body who am i to disagree

Yeah, yeah, just don't drop the camera any lower. :force:

:frusty: NOOOO dont worry the cam will not be going lower, sorry if i offended anyone it was a joke between me and RC...i promise no more photos :picard-sith:

:P I started this last night. If anyone's offended blame me, we were just goofing around. Though there ain't nothing about those abs to be offended by. :P

Well, I actually am overweight, and under doctor's order to loose weight. I am diabetic, with my diabetes fully controlled. However my diabetes educator said the control would decline if I do not loose weight also.

The change in diet (necessary for diabetics) helped, but I was only actually loosing weight when I was walking in addition to the diet change. That has been interfered with by lots of obligations, but I hope to pick it up again soon, since where I moved to has many walking trails for residents.

Like i said earlyer in this thread i would put up a nother pic of my ABS 
:frusty::picard-sith: I ride my bike into work when the weather is not bad, and run 2 to 3 miles Monday through Friday. :force: Edited by Odie

Like i said earlyer in this thread i would put up a nother pic of my ABS 
:frusty::picard-sith: I ride my bike into work when the weather is not bad, and run 2 to 3 miles Monday through Friday. :force:

HEHE*BLUSHES*

:picard-sith:  I started this last night. If anyone's offended blame me, we were just goofing around. Though there ain't nothing about those abs to be offended by. :frusty:

NOOO i wont blame you :force: you called my bluff and i dont back down from something like that i think its just the guys who dont like it...lol

I do a lot of Walking And Bike riding.

And my job keeps me in good shape to