Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Favourite Vietnam movie?

What your favourite Vietnam movie? (Out of the list)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What your favourite Vietnam movie? (Out of the list)

• Apocalypse Now (Redux)
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • The Deer Hunter
    • Hamburger Hill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Platoon
    • Rules Of Engagment
    • Good Morning Vietnam
    • Born On The Fourth Of July
    • Casualties Of War

So what's you're favourite Vietnam movie?

Mine is probably Apocalypse Now (Redux) even if it is a ridiculously long movie. But it covers everything in Vietnam. If someone asks me 'How can I find out what Vietnam was like?' I would tell them to watch Apocalypse Now Redux first and then see films like Platoon, We Were Soldiers, The Deer Hunter and Good Morning Vietnam.

vietcong.jpg

Edited by Lt. Evans

What about The Green Berets.

Was the only one made during the war (1968)

And was not very PC at the time.

Most people said it would end John Waynes Long standing in hollywood.

Edited by tokar

Sorry, never seen it... never heard of it for that matter. But feel free to choose from the list while I look that one up.

Edit: Found out something about it. Sounds alright, might rent it some time soon.

Anyone who fought in Vietnam can tell you that the war bore little resemblance to this propagandistic action film starring and codirected by John Wayne. But the film itself is not nearly as bad as its reputation would suggest; critics roasted its gung-ho politics while ignoring its merits as an exciting (if rather conventional and idealistic) war movie. Some notorious mistakes were made--in the final shot, the sun sets in the east!--and it's an awkward attempt to graft WWII heroics onto the Vietnam experience. But as the Duke's attempt to acknowledge the men who were fighting and dying overseas, it's a rousing film in which Wayne commands a regiment on a mission to kidnap a Viet Cong general. David Janssen plays a journalist who learns to understand Wayne's commitment to battling Communism, and Jim Hutton (Timothy's dad) plays an ill-fated soldier who adopts a Vietnamese orphan. In addition to its widescreen image, the digital video disc includes a promotional featurette and seven different theatrical trailers. --Jeff Shannon, amazon.com

Edited by Lt. Evans

Lt Evans.

I saw it when it first came out. Me old .

Had friends go to Viet Nam. Just a couple years older then me.

A couple did not come back.

Yes its a big Pro USA Movie Ie. do the right thing and all that.

But all in all a good war movie.

Defenitely Platoon. It's so good.

I didnt' like Apocalypse Now (Redux). It was way too long. And some scenes just went on forever.

I voted for FULL METAL JACKET!!!!that film kicks butt and the sound track is brillant :picard-sith:

I know that it's not on the list but my favorite is The Green Berets. I have only seen Good Morning Vietnam from the list so will have to check some of the others out. One I have seen and thought was really good is We Were Soldiers. I'm not a great watcher of war films but I was glued to the screen from start to finish.

Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Apocalypse for the music and Platoon for the story.

I voted Platoon, Love that film!!! But I also really enjoyed Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers. The Drill Sargent From FMJ reminded me alot of of my old DS when I was in boot camp, that guy use to knock the crap out of us if we screwed up.