Sign in to follow this  
stoned_vulcan

Star Trek: in the media

Have you ever noticed how much star trek is in the media, songs, Television, movies... look at the song 99 luft balloons they mention Captain Kirk, In Californiacation by the RHCP they say "space may be the final frontier but its made in a hollywood basement' can you think of any other mentions of trek in media? or if you cant share a word on what you think about trek being used in the media.. i think its great :hug:

That's because Star Trek has become an Icon. I would say an "American Icon" but it transcends America, and has become an Global Icon.

There are only a few things that have done that in our history.

1st example: South Park.

In last nights episode the boys needed a time machine to go back and recapture the good times they had while in the 3rd grade. They recruited a couple of nerds to build the time machine but the project was stalled when the geeks started arguing over how many episode of TOS there really were. (2 part Menagerie was the stumbling block)

1st example: South Park.

In last nights episode the boys needed a time machine to go back and recapture the good times they had while in the 3rd grade. They recruited a couple of nerds to build the time machine but the project was stalled when the geeks started arguing over how many episode of TOS there really were. (2 part Menagerie was the stumbling block)

Never seen it but it sounds good :hug:

Star Trek is always recognized, that is why it is used a lot, and it's pretty easy to make fun of too.. just look at Futurama :hug:

In Stargate SG-1. The Make Trek Refrences Alot.

In..."Prometheus" Or Maybe "Unnatural Selection", Col. O'Neill Wanted To Name Their New Ship The Enterprise :hug: And A Few Times, He's Asked For Phasers, lol.

And In The Episode "1969", They Get Stuck In 1969 And While Under Guard, O'Neill Told Them He Was Captain James T. Kirk. :hug:

And That Priceline Ad With Nimoy And Shatner Could Go Here, lol

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

Does the pilot count? lol... someone there must be a trekkie

As I am sure everyone knows, NASA named one of the first shuttles Enterprise. Not because they liked the aircraft carrier, but because of Star Trek.

I'm pretty sure the words Warp Speed would not be part of our lexicon without Star Trek.

We could go on and on, couldn't we?

In Stargate SG-1.  The Make Trek Refrences Alot.

In..."Prometheus" Or Maybe "Unnatural Selection", Col. O'Neill Wanted To Name Their New Ship The Enterprise

The references in Stargate SG-1 always make me laugh I loved it when Carter said of the prometheus "No sir we can't call it Enterprise". In a recent episode they were working on a weapon and Jack said "Is it like a phaser" the scientist replied "No sir it's more of a photon torpedo". :hug:

I really enjoy hearing references to Star Trek in other programs,films and books it just reinforces what a huge following Trek has that these writers can use references to it and most people "get it".

:hug: Trek :hug:

Edited by Delta

I was watching a little known aussie kids show today, called 'Hi-5', well the TV was on in the background while I was on the computer.

...anyway, they were having a space theme day, in one part one of the girls mentioned Starfleet, beaming-up and a replicator. I did a double take when she said starfleet. She had a mixing bowl as a helmet, raincoat as a space suit and a cardboard ship that looked a lot like a shuttle, she was calling 'starfleet' to say she was lost! - its everywhere.

That reminds me Neelix The Cat; I was flipping channels one day when I spotted some people wearing tunics that looked similar to shirts worn in TOS. They never mentioned anything in particular about Trek during the few moments I was looking at it but I thought the connection to TOS was clear. See here...

Click for Spoiler:

4wigglesarms.gif

The Wiggles

I've Seen That Ad, lol

Another Ad I've Seen...Which Is Downright Insulting...Shows These 2 "Nerds" At A Party Sitting On A Couch With Two Girls. To Distract The "Nerds" And Get Away, They Turn On The TV And You Hear Star Trek Coming On, Then The "Nerds" Stare At The TV As If Nothing Else Mattered, And The Girls Get Up And Leave.

Who Comes Up With This Crap? :)

I've Seen That Ad, lol

Another Ad I've Seen...Which Is Downright Insulting...Shows These 2 "Nerds" At A Party Sitting On A Couch With Two Girls.  To Distract The "Nerds" And Get Away, They Turn On The TV And You Hear Star Trek Coming On, Then The "Nerds" Stare At The TV As If Nothing Else Mattered, And The Girls Get Up And Leave.

Who Comes Up With This Crap?  :elephant:

That's hilarious. :)

I've Seen That Ad, lol

Another Ad I've Seen...Which Is Downright Insulting...Shows These 2 "Nerds" At A Party Sitting On A Couch With Two Girls.  To Distract The "Nerds" And Get Away, They Turn On The TV And You Hear Star Trek Coming On, Then The "Nerds" Stare At The TV As If Nothing Else Mattered, And The Girls Get Up And Leave.

Who Comes Up With This Crap?  :picard-sith:

That's what I'd do. I mean COME ON! Its Star Trek! Girls... Star Trek... Girls... Star Trek... Star Trek!

Which series was it by the way?

As I am sure everyone knows, NASA named one of the first shuttles Enterprise.  Not because they liked the aircraft carrier, but because of Star Trek.

I'm pretty sure the words Warp Speed would not be part of our lexicon without Star Trek.

We could go on and on, couldn't we?

NASA also had a probe called Voyager in the 1970s. I wonder if ST: Voyager was named after the Voyager probes?? Star Trek is also mentioned in The X-Files a few times. In 'Dreamland' (a two parter) they show an old family movie of Mulder when he was a kid, running around the loungeroom dressed up as Spock. He had Vulcan ears on and they kept falling off. In the same two parter, Scully tells Mulder that they were looking for 'just another crack pot who watches too much Star Trek'. Warp speed is also mentioned in this episode.

I was watching a little known aussie kids show today, called 'Hi-5', well the TV was on in the background while I was on the computer.

...anyway, they were having a space theme day, in one part one of the girls mentioned Starfleet, beaming-up and a replicator. I did a double take when she said starfleet. She had a mixing bowl as a helmet, raincoat as a space suit and a cardboard ship that looked a lot like a shuttle, she was calling 'starfleet' to say she was lost! - its everywhere.

I'm a member of an astronomy club here in Perth (Western Australia) and I go to club meetings with my flatmate. Last year one of the guys was doing a presentation about asteroids. First of all, he explained what asteroids were, their size and how they ran into other planets from time to time. Then he started talking about how some asteroids are shaped like squares. He showed us some pictures of a places where one hit in the US somewhere. Then he said "Some asteroids are shaped like this, unless these impressions were made by Borg cubes". My friend and I looked at each and she said "What did he just say??" We realised that he actually did say 'Borg cubes' and we found out later that he liked Voyager.

I read more than I watch television (except Star Trek lol) and there are a ton of references in books too. The only example I think of right now were these three references in the Sabrina the Teenage Witch books. I was thinking, "Oh my goodness, this is Sabrina and they are mentioning Star Trek. It was awesome.

My favorite Stargate Reference is from "The Other Guys" when they're arguing about alien species and ST conventions - John Billingsley was terrific.

In JAG, Bud named his son James Kirk (plus Bud's lastname) his wife didn't know who James Kirk was and got mad when she found out.

NCIS made some reference about the viewscreen

I've Seen That Ad, lol

Who Comes Up With This Crap?  :P

That's what I'd do. I mean COME ON! Its Star Trek! Girls... Star Trek... Girls... Star Trek... Star Trek!

Which series was it by the way?

Hey, mention Harry Kim OR Voyager and I'm drooling.... anyways, I love paradoy's and star trek guest stars. The latest I seen was the priceline commercial where our good ol captain kirk is gettin downsized and they say who is going to replace him and who walks in the door but spock (i think that was him), he looks back at the people with a wtf! :( expression and the commercial stops. I almost died laughing

Anyways another rude comment about Kirk was when a famous late night talk show host said something about him being in a Wendy's commercial eating a salade. They said can you ever picture HIM eating a salade, and people start laughing... This I think was very wrong and think they should of not joked him this way :(

YO PEPS IM ALMOST CAPTAIN!! :(

Edited by Syperphobia

Definitely the Wiggles are Trekkies. I agree their costumes are so obviously TOSish but they also have a character named Zardo Zap who says things like "resistance is futile."

I was watching Big Comfy Couch with my daughter one day and saw a TNG series command uniform jacket hanging on Granny Garbanzo's clothesline.

Is there a reporter alive that doesn't make a Trek reference when writing an article about something that seems futuristic.

There are so many words and phrases that non-Trekkies use that they have no clue came originally from Trek.

And That Priceline Ad With Nimoy And Shatner Could Go Here, lol

I love that ad. I laughed so hard the first time I saw it everyone around me who weren't Trek fans didn't get it. :laugh:

I remember the JAG reference too. Of course Bud has always been a Star Trek fan. I can remember earlier episodes where he was talking about it.

Another show they had Star Trek in it was the Wonder Years. They did an episode where they all dressed up like characters from the show and role played them.

Saturday Night Live use to do parodies of the show as well and lol, the first time I saw that Wiggles kid show the first thing that popped into my mind was Star Trek too.

lol, yeah, i think billingsley's character in SG-1 said to the other guy (who plays harold on Red Green btw), that he out to "bow down to the alter of roddenberry!!!" lmao