Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Does Trek need a break

After Enterprise has finished it's television run in 5 years do you think that Star Trek should concentrate on the films and give television a rest for a few years before starting another series?

How do you think that would affect the franchise in general? Would be a good or bad move?

Bad move--Television is the bread and butter-the movies don't make a large enough profit margin. The TV series is what made Star Trek what it is today.

YES I Really think so. Movies would be great . So many things unexplored.

what about a DS9 movie

No, I hope it doesn't take a break. Movies are good, but I need my weekly Trek fix. And by the time they decide to bring it back to TV, I might be dead. :grin:

I think it would cause people to lose interest in the franchise and it wouldn't gain as many new fans since Trek would be less visible for long periods of time.

Absolutely not. This is probably the closest time in history we are to actual space travel. No longer just a 'Nerdy' thing. More, more, more, we need more.

No, Trek does not need a break from television..I like looking forward to new episodes of a new series..And besides if Trek did take a break from TV, I don't believe that would ever come back..IMO..

I don't think they need a break, and it would probably be very risky in taking one because some people who watch Trek but are not real fans might lose interest.. Perhaps a 1-2 year break, but no longer than that..

We do need more movies though! :grin:

Guest Mike_Hines01

I'd say that a short break, no more than a year or two would be acceptable. That would give them time to make a couple of movies as well, which I think would be a good idea.

As Q has been quoted as saying, all good things must come to an end. This is an excellent question and as much as we all here love the world of Trek, I'm afraid, from my own contacts in the industry, that the interest level is just not what it was. Many of the original fans of Star Trek are now into their 40's and 50's and life has a habit of making you realize that there are more important things to be concerned about than your favorite tv show. I do believe that a break from tv is coming. Not the re-runs mind you, just any new series. There will always be a Trek show on somewhere just as you can find MASH, I Love Lucy, Cheers and just about any show that meets the syndication criteria but once this Enterprise has run it's course (and I don't think it will make it to seven years), Star Trek will be retired. This is of course speculation from my contacts but if the ratings don't increase and if another movie, if there is one, fails to make a profit, then Star Trek will most likely be regulated to retirement. That's not to say the Vegas attractions will shut down or the conventions but TV is profit driven. No profit, no show no matter how loud the fan base screams. I also do believe that the fan base is getting smaller as well. It's been a great run though these 17 years but Gene is gone, Majel is getting on in years and, to be honest, what else can be done with the franchise? The formula is now old and even though any of us can come up with an idea that we think is great, in some way or form, it's already been done. Enjoy what we still have but the idea of the universe ending because someone pulls the plug one day is highly unlikely. We already watch as much re-runs as we can, purchase the dvd's, and in some cases, spout techno-babble on some level so it will always be with us. If it does end, then some future generation can re-discover the dream and perhaps start it all over again. That, to me, will be far more likely.

Yes I believe Star Trek needs to take a break. Its time to get the fans hungry again. After seeing some of the bashing of Enterprise and even Voyager before I think its time to chill for awhile. If they did another Star Trek show after Enterprise then you'll have a whole new group (or maybe the same group) that will not be happy and the bashing will start all over.

I think a break of a couple of years would do nicely.

I believe a break would probably be a good thing after ENT runs it course. I also think that there will be a break with the movies as well. However I don't think this will in anyway cause people to loose interest. If anything, after such a break people will be lining up around the block for a new movie and clamoring for the start of the next series. Look at how long the break was between TOS and TNG, I don't think anyone lost interest. IMO a lot of fans have just gotten spoiled with the back to back to back series and the just don't appreciate it anymore. I would like tptb to spend a few years working really hard on an intelligent, inventive series. Something that really blows us all away. That would be well worth any wait we will have to endure.

I don't want a break, I'd miss it too much....I still miss new TNG so I started on the books, most of them are so well written that the characters come to life for

me again. The same with VOY and it will be the same with ENT, but the TV is

what will keep it household name...even people who don't like it, know of it.

I don't want a break, I'd miss it too much....I still miss new TNG so I started on the books, most of them are so well written that the characters come to life for

me again. The same with VOY and it will be the same with ENT, but the TV is

what will keep it household name...even people who don't like it, know of it.

We would all miss it, but it still needs to take a break. Too many people are bashing it now and it would only get worse if they continued with another Star Trek series. I won't mind waiting to much, there are plenty of Star Trek books to read and most of them are very well written. The intrest will not die away, as someone else said look at the time between TOS and TNG, the interest in Star Trek lasted many years.

What Star Trek really needs is fresh blood. Fire the people running the franchise now and hire new people. New producers, writers, creative teams, the whole shabang.

I'd also like to see a different style show. Like a regular TV drama but set in the Star Trek universe instead of the random encounter standalone episodes of TNG and VOY. I like what Enterprise is doing this year with the Xindi story arc. A continuing story with the stand alone episodes playing a backup role instead of the other way around.

Ive heard DS9 is more a of a continuing saga type show but ive only seen a few episodes here and there. Which is why i cant wait for the episodes to start airing on Spike. Speaking of which... anyone know if there going to play the whole thing? Are they starting at episode 1 and going all seven seasons or how ever many there were or do they only have the rights for the first season or something?

Im also into Stargate SG-1 and am looking forward to Atlantis and season 8 of SG1. Other than that there really isnt any other SciFi shows out there. Buffy is over already and Angel is a great show but now thats been canceled so there really isnt much to look forward in terms of SciFi TV.

Edited by Smith_2.0

What Star Trek really needs is fresh blood.  Fire the people running the franchise now and hire new people. New producers, writers, creative teams, the whole shabang.

Why? I think they're doing a great job! :P

I'd also like to see a different style show. Like a regular TV drama but set in the Star Trek universe instead of the random encounter standalone episodes of TNG and VOY. I like what Enterprise is doing this year with the Xindi story arc. A continuing story with the stand alone episodes playing a backup role instead of the other way around.

I disagree. I prefer the stand-alone episode format when it comes to Trek. They go to a new world or on a new mission each week. I'd rather have a story of the week than a story arc.

Ive heard DS9 is more a of a continuing saga type show but ive only seen a few episodes here and there. Which is why i cant wait for the episodes to start airing on Spike. Speaking of which... anyone know if there going to play the whole thing? Are they starting at episode 1 and going all seven seasons or how ever many there were or do they only have the rights for the first season or something?

I enjoyed DS9, but VOY was loads better. No idea what's going on with DS9 & SpikeTV.

Im also into Stargate SG-1 and am looking forward to Atlantis and season 8 of SG1. Other than that there really isnt any other SciFi shows out there. Buffy is over already and Angel is a great show but now thats been canceled so there really isnt much to look forward in terms of SciFi TV.

I'm a huge SG-1 fan and I'm looking forward to Atlantis too! :P If you're looking for a new SCI-FI show, try Roswell on sci-fi. Very arc heavy, but it only lasted 3 seasons. Fortunately, it has 4 final episodes due to the producers guessing that a 4th season wouldn't be picked up.

I disagree. I prefer the stand-alone episode format when it comes to Trek. They go to a new world or on a new mission each week. I'd rather have a story of the week than a story arc.

Agreed. I have enjoyed what Enterprise has done in it's third season however I have always preferred standalone episodes as used in TOS and TNG.

I enjoy story arcs and I prefer them over stand-alone episodic shows. However, I think that the Star Trek format requires the stand-alone format over story arcs. Exceptions, however, would be DS9 and ENT. DS9 becuase they're on a space station, and ENT becuase of the events that lead up to the founding of the UFP, including the Romulan War.

I think that Star Trek could benefit from a long break. A break would give the long running series time to catch its breath as well the writers and producers. If Trek were to take a ten year break, I would be saddened. But I think it would allow some of the writers to come up with some more material and ideas.

Everyone suffers from burnout, and a rest phase would allow some of the burnouts time to re-group. Even the great bird himself got "burned" out with Trek and wanted to expand beyond with his writing.

:cool:

I think that Star Trek could benefit from a long break.

How long a break?

A break would give the long running series time to catch its breath as well the writers and producers.

Hmm...

If Trek were to take a ten year break, I would be saddened.  But I think it would allow some of the writers to come up with some more material and ideas.

If Trek is gone for 10 years, it won't return to TV nor movies. The best we could hope for is books and a spoof remake.

Everyone suffers from burnout, and a rest phase would allow some of the burnouts time to re-group.  Even the great bird himself got "burned" out with Trek and wanted to expand beyond with his writing.

You don't need 10 years to develope a TV show nor movie. All you need is a 2-3 year break and a mix of old and new staff.