Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Is Spock the first Vulcan in Starfleet?

Is Spock the first Vulcan in Starfleet? I was thinking it might make for awesome episodes if T'Pol joined Starfleet. However, this can't happen if it's been well established that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet.

Could someone explain to me in which episode or movie this was established or if this is one of those "fan-assumed" things? THANKS! :laugh:

I'll have to go back and make sure but I believe it was established in "Journey to Babel". I don't have that episode on CD or DVD but I will look for it tonight and try to verify that.

He was the first Vulcan in Star Fleet. But on Enterprise .....

Click for Spoiler:

In an upcoming episode, T'Pol will be in Star fleet in an alternate future time line

He was the first Vulcan in Star Fleet. But on Enterprise .....

Click for Spoiler:

In an upcoming episode, T'Pol will be in Star fleet in an alternate future time line

Click for Spoiler:

I believe you're talking about the episode "Twilight". THat episode actually aired here in the States a few months ago.

Like VBG I had thought it was Journey to Babel. So I just watched it.I have it on DVD..I really enjoyed seeing this episode again however they never mentioned anything about Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet. Only that he joined Starfleet when Sarek wanted him to attend the Vulcan Science Academy..Maybe it was in Amok Time that they talk about this..I do know it's in one of the episodes..I just need to find it to be sure..

The Star Trek Encyclopedia states " Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet."

This is from ST.COM's biography for Spock:

Because the young Vulcan chose to join Starfleet, he and Sarek opened an 18-year rift over Sarek's hope his son would attend the Vulcan Science Academy. Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet, serving aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise under Captain Christopher Pike as a lieutenant, and later for James T. Kirk.

So in reading this a case could be made for T'Pol to be a Starfleet officer by being given a field commission to the rank of Commander. Basically an appointment to Starfleet.

I still believe there is a reference in an episode that says Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet but I have to find it.

So, Spock was the first to enlist?  That means that he wasn't the first Vulcan in Starfleet, which allows the producers to give T'Pol a field commission like Kira got in DS9's final episodes.

That's pretty much what I said above, but Spock didn't enlist. That would make him an "enlisted man" like O'Brien. Spock attended the Academy. I still believe there is refrence that Spock was the first IN Starfleet, but I have to search to find it (If it exists).

I kind of hope it doesn't, then T'Pol can become an officer.

No Spock is not the first Vulcan in starfleet the new series "Enterprise" is set before TOS. If you have seen ENT you know what I am talking abut. :clap:  :wub:

T'Pol is not in Starfleet..When Enterprise began 3 years ago the Vulcan High Command insisted that she be on Enterprise as an observer. They did not approve of Starfleet. This season the Vulcan High Command told her to return to Vulcan prior to this mission into the Expanse. Instead T'Pol resigned her commission in order to stay on Enterprise. So as for right now she is a civilian..Perhaps at some point she will be a member of Starfleet..But it hasn't happened yet..

Even if it is stated that Spock is the first Vulcan in Starfleet there is still a loophole that would allow T'Pol to be given a field commission. Spock may be the first Vulcan in the Federation's Starfleet, but at the time of ENT the Federation does not exist yet.

My only problem with all of this, is why chip away at Spock's legend? What purpose does it serve, other than continue to negate the series which started this whole franchise? T'Pol can continue to be the observer she is without having to become a member of Starfleet.

This wouldn't bug me so much if there wasn't a faction out there willing to dismember and reassemble the premiere series so they can "fix" the alleged continuity problems between the modern shows and the original. The only continuity errors I've seen have been in the newer shows in their relation to the original. It cannot be the other way around, plain and simple fact.

I hope Enterprise's producers et al do their research very well on this. If it turns out there is a reference to Spock being the very first Vulcan in Starfleet, (and I , too, had that impression just unable at this moment to cite line and verse) may they leave well enough alone and find some other way of distinguishing T'Pol.

I think they should do this anyway, or risk a sensation of cloning. Her legend should be uniquely hers and not a carbon copy of her predessesor because although Enterprise is a prequel, it didn't air in that order and the original is embedded in the American pysche. Spock is who he is. Let T'Pol forge her own legacy and may the two never have to duke it out.

T'Bree

No Spock is not the first Vulcan in starfleet the new series "Enterprise" is set before TOS. If you have seen ENT you know what I am talking abut. :laugh:  <_<

T'Pol is not in Starfleet..When Enterprise began 3 years ago the Vulcan High Command insisted that she be on Enterprise as an observer. They did not approve of Starfleet. This season the Vulcan High Command told her to return to Vulcan prior to this mission into the Expanse. Instead T'Pol resigned her commission in order to stay on Enterprise. So as for right now she is a civilian..Perhaps at some point she will be a member of Starfleet..But it hasn't happened yet..

Read the post spacetigger put up, Janie.

T'Pol isn't in Starfleet, although I think she was in a Starfleet uniform in Hatchery of Star Trek: Enterprise....

She worked for the Vulcan High Command, but she resigned, as spacetigger points out... (Episode Reference: The Expanse)lastresort.jpg42.gif

spin.gifThe Adventures of STF.net

she dooned a Starfleet uniform in Hatchery to blend in on the stealth mission...

she dooned a Starfleet uniform in Hatchery to blend in on the stealth mission...

Oh, so that's the reason....

Yea, she also wore a NX-01 cap....

* :lol: 's at harrykim's comment*lastresort.jpg42.gif

spin.gif