Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

CHAT ROOM INFORMATION

The site has added a new chat room to replace the AIM Chat. Below is a link to the location. It is now safe to set a bookmark as the migration has now been completed. It is a web based java chat. Use your STARTREKFANS.NET username and "chat" as the password (without the quotes). I am hoping that this will be easier for the members to access. If you have any questions let me know.

PERMANENT CHAT LINK

Edited by ddillard

What are the rules for the Chat Room?

It is asked that conduct yourself in a manner that is respectful to others just like you would on the boards. Below are a few examples.

* Do not post gibberish.

* Do not attack others in the chat room for their opinion.

* Please keep in mind that some of the users may be underage, so try to keep the conversation appropriate for their presence.

* Do not discuss any topic that has sexual inclinations or undertones as this is not appropriate for our younger members to see.

* NO SPAMMING

* Treat others with the same consideration and respect that you would have them treat you.

* If you are having problems with someone in the chat room behaving inappropriately, simply use the ignore feature, and let me or one of the other MODS know about it. So that we can then speak with the person concerning their actions.

Is the chat room moderated?

Yes, this chat room is moderated and individual can be blocked from entering if they do not follow the above rules for the chat room. Also, all chats are logged and can be viewed by room administrators at any time even if they were not present during the chat. Also, please note that room administrators have the ability to log to the chat without being seen by other users in the chat room.

How do I get to the Chat Room?

Click on the chat room link at the top of the STARTREKFANS.NET page and it will take you to the Chat Room, Or CLICK HERE

What do I use as my username to log into the Chat Room?

Enter you STARTREKFANS.NET Username.

How do I send a message in the Chat Room

To start chatting, Chat messages are displayed in the main chat window. To add to the conversation, type in your message in the text box below the main chat window area and click on 'Send' button or hit the return key on your keyboard. If you are on a Macintosh you will need to hit the Return button on your keyboard. By default your message is sent to all users

How do I send a Private Message to another user in the Chat Room?

You can send a private Message request to any user in a room. To send the request to the visitor, click on the visitor's name from within the user list, and click on the 'Private' button. You can also double click on a user to invoke the private message command. You will see a smaller window pop up and you can chat with the user in that window.

How do I ignore a user in the Chat Room?

You can ignore any visitor in a room. To ignore a user highlight a user's name, from within the chat user list, and then click on the 'Ignore' button. All ignored users will display a strike-thru through their name. You will not see anything the ignored visitor types, and the ignored visitor will be unable to have a private chat with you. To un ignore a visitor, click on the user's name from within the chat user list, and click on the 'Accept' button. You can ignore as many people as you wish.

How do I ignore Private Message Requests?

You can ignore all private messages. When a private message is initiated you can click on the 'Ignore' checkbox and all future private messages will not be seen.

How do I change the Color of messages in the chat room?

Click on the color16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window and select the color that you desire.

How do I italicize the messages that I send in the chat room?

Click on the i16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window.

How do I bold the text of the messages that I send in the chat room?

Click on the b16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window.

How do I insert smilies in the chat room?

Click on the smilebutton16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window and select the smilie you wish to use. Then click on the Send button in the chat window, or click inside the text window and press enter.

What does the

tool16.gif button do?

The 'Control Panel' button envokes the ParaChat Control Panel. The control panel allows you to customize your chat session. The control panel allows you to do thefollowing:

* Users Tab - search for other users

* Color Tab - diplays a list of colors that you can use to change your displayed user name in the main chat window.

* Icons Tab - click on a icon to be displayed in the main chat window.

* Font Tab - local font size, my user font, and window color.

* Settings Tab -

-----Double space text

-----Beep on enter

-----Beep on exit

-----Join/leave message

-----Timestamp messages

-----Heartbeat - set a pulse to stay connected to the chat room

-----Block all private - blocks all private massages

-----Turn off Profile - turns off profile information

-----Page admin (if room admin is present)

* About Tab -

-----ParaChat Server version

-----Your operating system version

-----Your Java version.

How do I page a room administrator if I have a question?

To page the room administrator / operator , open your control panel, click on the Settings tab and then click "Page Room Admin" button. This will notify the admin user that you would like to chat with them. If the admin is not present, you will be given a message notifying you of this fact. If you would like to use keyboard commands, type %page

What happens if I am in the chat room when a scheduled chat is beginning?

In the event that you are in the chat room when a scheduled chat is beginning, you are more than welcome to join in the scheduled chat, but the scheduled chat topic takes priority. The chat room will be available for open discussion after the scheduled event has concluded.

Commonly Used Chat Abbreviations

BRB - Be Right Back

LOL - Lots of Laughs or Lots of Love

ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My *buttocks* Off

PM - Private Message

BTW - By The Way

IMO - In My Opinion

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

TMI - To Much Information

Thanks ddillard. The chat looks great! I agree Lessa, ddillard took an idea and ran it up a pole and now we will all salute you ddillard.

Just a reminder to everyone that we currently have chats scheduled on Wednesday evenings to discuss the latest episode of Enterprise. We have had a "Server Update" chat that will continue at 1:00 a.m. (ET) Sunday morning during the weekly server update. Feel free to chat any time.

Well, it looks like our new chat room is coming in with a bang. I have checked periodically from work and when I got home, and since it was put up I have not went in once and found it empty. This is great keep it up. B)

Also, if you want to schedule a chat on a specific subject, please PM me and I will add it to the chat schedule that shows whenever a member logs into the room. Just be sure to include the Chat Topic, Date, and Time you would like to set up the chat, and try to let me know at least a day in advance. But as always the chat room is always open if you would like to start a chat. So far the only scheduled chats are as follows:

Every Wednesday night: Enterprise Chat

Every Saturday night - Sunday morning - Server Update Chat (Open discussion) 1ET, 12CT, 11MT, 10PT

Special Chat events:

Saturday June 14, 2003 at 4pmET, 3pmCT, 2pmMT, 1pmPT - Official Star Trek Trivia - Hosted by Master_Q.

Edited by ddillard

hey it wont log me into the chat i have the rite pword and user name can u fix it ? thanx

The chat room does not necessarily use the same password that you use for the boards as it is run from another server. I anyone wants access that is not able to log into the room. Please send me a pm with the password that you would like to use.