Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Picard a Jerk

That was the whole point of it. He even mentions during Farpoint that he is not a family man and was highly uncomfortable having children and families aboard the ship.

yep, Picard is pretty cold early in the season. But I understand why he screamed at Wesley the first time he met him.

I would be embarassed as well if I tried to show a kid the ship and he knew it better than I did and he being a lot younger than I was. Picard's pride was hurt in front of his crew, so it's understandable why he was angry.

Edited by Gamera

He is not a jerk. :laugh::yahoo:

He's just feeling uncomfortable having such a responsibility of so many people and families aboard. The Stargazer was no such ship and it also wasn't the flagship. He's just unsure how to cope with the whole situation, that's why he sometimes seems to be a little grumpy in the first season. He's an excellent captain and his crew likes him the way he is.

I don't think his assimilation has anything to do with all that, I don't think he's grumpy anymore in the 2nd or 3rd season until his assimilation takes place. :P

I don't understand why Picard keeps trying to pretend that he is French. He speaks with a British accent and drinks English tea.

Picard's not "pretending that he's French", he has French origins, that's where is family are from and lived. It's where he grew up as a child before he left for the Academy. He is French they just didn't want Patrick Stewart to use a French accent while portraying him.

He may not have been exacly hospitable to the idea of having children on his ship but that's quite understandable. Asides from that he was quite friendly in the first series. Picard was never a jerk.

Would a French person who learned English from a British school speak English with a British accent? Just curious.

Picard was not a jerk ... the people around him were sort of imbeciles until they adjusted to Picard and things started going smoother. I imagine it would be the same for anyone taking on a new command ... until you work out the kinks, there are ...well, kinks.

I didn't think Picard was a jerk at all. I'm sure no children on the bridge is a very common rule for starships that have families aboard. There were a number of areas that children weren't allowed to go (remember the episode Imaginary Friend)

I don't think Picard was a jerk. I think he was an excellent peace time leader. I'm not sure if the Federation was at war since we never really see that part of him. I think also that he is a very sensitive man.

I didn't think Picard was a jerk at all. I'm sure no children on the bridge is a very common rule for starships that have families aboard. There were a number of areas that children weren't allowed to go (remember the episode Imaginary Friend)

310815[/snapback]

Wesley was later allowed to be on the Bridge. And as I recall, Picard kicked both Wesley and Beverly out.

I don't think Picard was a jerk either. He was uncomfortable with having children on board and how that made the ship vulnerable to casualties thus the saucer seperations at times. He could be gruff and crabby at times but other captains also showed that tendency including the one (I think it was Robby Cox) that replaced him when the cardassians tortured Picard.

I don't think Picard was a jerk either.  He was uncomfortable with having children on board and how that made the ship vulnerable to casualties thus the saucer seperations at times.  He could be gruff and crabby at times but other captains also showed that tendency including the one (I think it was Robby Cox) that replaced him when the cardassians tortured Picard.

310910[/snapback]

That was Captain jellico. MAN I hated him!

I don't think Picard was a jerk either.  He was uncomfortable with having children on board and how that made the ship vulnerable to casualties thus the saucer seperations at times.  He could be gruff and crabby at times but other captains also showed that tendency including the one (I think it was Robby Cox) that replaced him when the cardassians tortured Picard.

310910[/snapback]

That was Captain jellico. MAN I hated him!

310912[/snapback]

Played by Ronny Cox.

Bev deserved to be told to take her son off the bridge that time after what Wes did.

I don't think Wes should have ever been allowed on the bridge. That character was, as most will agree, very unrealistic.

Bev deserved to be told to take her son off the bridge that time after what Wes did.

I don't think Wes should have ever been allowed on the bridge. That character was, as most will agree, very unrealistic.

310923[/snapback]

What did Wesley do? Prove himself to be smarter than Picard? I think Beverly did a good thing for her son by taking him there. A mother should encourage their children's interests. If Picard hadn't been such a lemon, almost chasing the two away with an axe, I'm sure Picard could have learned a good thing or two from the boy :P

He is French they just didn't want Patrick Stewart to use a French accent while portraying him.

310774[/snapback]

Using that logic, I suppose it would have been alright for James Doohan to use a German accent while portraying Scotty....................

well he may of been uncomfortable, but that led to him acting Jerk-Like, Personally I liked him hating Wesley

310923[/snapback]

What did Wesley do? Prove himself to be smarter than Picard? I think Beverly did a good thing for her son by taking him there. A mother should encourage their children's interests. If Picard hadn't been such a lemon, almost chasing the two away with an axe, I'm sure Picard could have learned a good thing or two from the boy :P

310934[/snapback]

The only time I can think of Picard throwing Wes off the bridge and telling Bev to take charge of her son was when Wes had been invited onto the bridge, was allowed to sit in the captain's chair but told not to touch anything. He touched stuff anyways and Picard threw him off the bridge. Wes deserved it.

I do not believe Captain Picard was a jerk. He plainly had a different personality from Jim Kirk and any other of the captains that followed him.

He was reserved, not very personable.

As he interacted with the crew, he opened up, very slowly, but surely ( as we saw at last in "All Good Things...').

Wes didn't prove that he was smarter than Picard. He was sitting in Picards chair and therefore could see the information that Picard couldn't.

I personaly think that this topic is more about how much Picard disliked Wes more then Picard being a jerk. Besides, with all Wes made the crew go throw I'm was shocked he didn't get tossed out an air lock.

well as a Welsey hater..he got what he deserved.

but thats beside the point

I don't think he was a "jerk". I do think they were trying to get Picard "the character" as far away from Kirk as possibly can. But as of all good television shows,the character develops and prospers.For example the first episode of NYPD blue the character of Sipiwitz was a hard drinking,cursing sonofagun after ten years in the series finale. he was a lovable man who had his share of truimphs and torments

Which is why i had such a big problem with Enterprise(not to get off topic but there was hardly any character development)

310923[/snapback]

What did Wesley do? Prove himself to be smarter than Picard? I think Beverly did a good thing for her son by taking him there. A mother should encourage their children's interests. If Picard hadn't been such a lemon, almost chasing the two away with an axe, I'm sure Picard could have learned a good thing or two from the boy :angry:

310934[/snapback]

The only time I can think of Picard throwing Wes off the bridge and telling Bev to take charge of her son was when Wes had been invited onto the bridge, was allowed to sit in the captain's chair but told not to touch anything. He touched stuff anyways and Picard threw him off the bridge. Wes deserved it.

311038[/snapback]

Wes was invited because Picard wanted to do something nice for his former crush of a medical officer. Picard was trying to teach Wes about controlling the ship and Wes proved to be smarter than Picard had expected which made him lash out "How the hell do you know all that?" making him angry for basically no reason. Wes just put Picard in his place. :look: