Sign in to follow this  
livlonganprospe

A Mistake Or Not

Was the use of the word "people" by Trip a mistake to discibe the Insectoids? According to the dictionary the word people means human. Later on the word species was used. :naughty: That scene stuck in my head and I don't know why. I know why, there giant ants man! am I wrong, is it ok to call them that? Other than that it was a good show.

Edited by livlonganprospe

Well, in our 21st Century, Homo sapien-centric world, "people" is synonomous with "Human", but in the 22nd Century, with the discovery that we are not alone, one could reasonably postulate that "People" came to mean "Any group of Sentient Life" and the Xindi Insectoids are definatly Sentient.

Funny you should bring this up. The term ' humanoid ' has always bothered me . It's bothered me because one is or isn't human. Another species would be called what it is, and not likened to us, how arrogant are we?

I don't think it was, as surprising as that sounds coming from me. A person is a definition that would slightly evolve as our exposure to alien sentient beings increases. I believe that the definition of a person is a sentient bieng.

We Humans are VERY arrogant. it's in our nature. Remember, we used to think WE were the center of the universe!

I am sure Klingons call other lifeforms like them "Klingonoid" and Vulcans "Vulcanoid"

We Humans are VERY arrogant. it's in our nature. Remember, we used to think WE were the center of the universe!

I am sure Klingons call other lifeforms like them "Klingonoid" and Vulcans "Vulcanoid"

Spock: It's only human arrogance that the message must be sent for man. - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Edited by Stewey

Thanks for your responce guys, you know it is odd for Trip to be so ..kind with his words too especialy after they killed his sister and millions of people I would have called them ******** and more! :naughty:

Edited by TransporterMalfunction

The Resturant at the End of the Universe, by the late, great Douglas Adams.

Arthur Dent. 'The people! The things!'

Ford Prefect. 'The things are also people.'

Edited by Trinneergirl

Thanks for your responce guys, you know it is odd for Trip to be so ..kind with his words too especialy after they killed his sister and millions of people I would have called them ******** and more! :biggrin:

I don't think Trip's "kind words" were odd at all. The Xindi-Insectoid hatchlings had nothing to do with the attack on Earth.