Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

So Who Cleans The Starship?

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE CLEAN ANYTHING ON A STARSHIP. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? SUCH AN ENCLOSED SPACE, I MEAN, IT MUST GET DIRTY, SOMEHOW, DEAD SKIN CELLS, BODY SWEAT. I MEAN AFTER A WHILE IT'S GOTTA STINK IN THERE.

It's been explained that the ships are "self cleaning". Although I'm sure there must be people there who do basic maintainance, there's just no need to see them on the show.

I've wondered about this before, and there was even this same topic on another board I'm on a while back. I accept the self-cleaning for the Ent-D since Riker himself stated it, but I dunno HOW self-cleaning all ships are. I remember once in a VOY ep, Chakotay said something to the effect of "Shall I have the deck plates cleaned while you're gone?" as a joke to Janeway. Of course that didn't have to be taken literally. :laugh:

I agree with RC. I'm sure most of the newer ships are self-cleaning to some extent, but there are probably still a few things that have to be done manually. :laugh:

the simple answer to the question is one of tradition: the Swabbies clean the ship. Swabbies are Junior enlisted, non-rated crewmembers who's sole goal in life is to sweep, mop, and clean up after the crew.

SWABBIE HUH? WHAT'S THE RATE OF PAY FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, PRETTY BAD, I BET. THEY PROBABLY WORK THE HARDEST AND GET NEXT TO NOTHING?? JUST CURIOUS.

the simple answer to the question is one of tradition: the Swabbies clean the ship. Swabbies are Junior enlisted, non-rated crewmembers who's sole goal in life is to sweep, mop, and clean up after the crew.

Actually, the ships clean themselves. At least they do in the TNG-era.

How can you replace the Swabbie?I mean, there has to be SOMETHING they can do!

I thought since I was talking about Swabbies, I'd share this song with you all. those who served in the navy may remember this....

Swabbies in, Swabbies out, Swabbies running all about. and if I had a low IQ, I could be a swabbie too!

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

In the TOS era they probably made the redshirts do it.

Are you crazy, Q? An officer would NEVER swoop so low as to swab the decks! I know, I am an officer, and I NEVER mop! not even at home! (and it makes Julie excedingly angry when I don't.) CJLP, I am sure there are things for them to do. someplace to clean where the self cleaning system doesn't go.

i think the foreighn people with the funny accent and have not part in the series clean the ships o yeah they also wear very old walkmans with bad native music

:laugh:

Are you crazy, Q? An officer would NEVER swoop so low as to swab the decks! I know, I am an officer, and I NEVER mop! not even at home! (and it makes Julie excedingly angry when I don't.) CJLP, I am sure there are things for them to do. someplace to clean where the self cleaning system doesn't go.

Well, they SHOULD make the redshirts do it.

I thought Wesley did it as a term of being an ensign on the Enterprise. You know cleaning Worf's toilet after he had too much Gagh.

I thought Wesley did it as a term of being an ensign on the Enterprise. You know cleaning Worf's toilet after he had too much Gagh.

Wesley should be the OFFICIAL toilet cleaner. :laugh:

I think that Humans of the 24th century would have evolved past our egotistical ways of today. An officer in the 24th century would have no problem cleaning a mess. In today's world, an officer would think he's "too good" to clean a mess, but in the 24th century, an officer would do what needs to be done. That's why I love the Trek characters, they don't act like they're better than everyone else.

I think that Humans of the 24th century would have evolved past our egotistical ways of today.  An officer in the 24th century would have no problem cleaning a mess.  In today's world, an officer would think he's "too good" to clean a mess, but in the 24th century, an officer would do what needs to be done.  That's why I love the Trek characters, they don't act like they're better than everyone else.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say in a much nicer way then I would have said it. :lol:

I would certainly hope they wouldn't see themselves as too good to help clean. :laugh:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Officers are leaders. time, money, and other resources are spent, even in the 24th century, training these leaders. yes, in Starfleet they also do ALOT of the jobs. but if Officers can do all the key tasks on a starship, why do they have enlisted people anyways?

and by the way, my little rant above was a joke. However, I highly doubt I as an Ensign will ever be swabbing the decks, other than to maybe show a shipmate how to do it.

Sorry, but if anyone, leader or not thinks he shouldn't have to clean, he needs to get over himself.

Sorry, but if anyone, leader or not thinks he shouldn't have to clean, he needs to get over himself.

Exactly, redshirts should be the janitors.

RC, it's how the system works. the Military is one of the last places in American society where a rigid class system is still allowed.

the Junior Enlisted get the dirty, messy jobs (Cleaning, Kitchen Duty, Etc.)

NCOs/Lower level Petty Officers (E-4 and E-5 and E-6) usually get supervisory possitions above them, or handle more complex tasks.

Staff NCO's and CPOs (E-6-E-9) usually do the REALLY complex things, and act as the overviewing Enlisted Person and as an advisor to the CO.

Junior (Field)Officers (0-1 and O-2) are the low level runners. assitants to Division officers, etc.

Mid-level (the more junior staff Officers)officers(O-3 and O-4) get smaller commands, or are assigned the duty of Division Officer on Navy ships.

Upper Midlevel (Senior Staff Officers)Officers (O-5 and O-6) usually command larger ships, serve as XOs and Operations Officers in Battalion level or higher commands, and Command Companies.

Flag or General Officers(Admirals and Generals) may command Much larger units.

They shouldn't think they're too good to clean, of course. However, position and time would still have alot to do with it; I can't honestly see Cap'n Picard pushing a Hoover down a corridor, can you? :laugh:

Jim I know it's how the military works, that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I seriously doubt the military in Star Trek works the same as it does now. People in that time aren't so arrogant as they are now.

Seriously, though, RC, my point is, Okay, you are an Ensign assigned to Security detail. you may spend 8 hours in the brig watching prisoners, another four hours in Security briefings, Plus you have to eat, which will acoutn for an hour and a half to two hours a day, you'r at 14 hours there. plus you have to sleep, and you are also supposed to have some personal time. even in a 26 hour day, you are running short of time here. as a Commanding Officer, if I see someone with a schedule like that, I am most likely NOT going to say "Okay, well, here's two hours of cleaning the ship for you. you get to spend these two hours cleaning the Wardroom on Deck 4, the Head on Deck 1, and the Observation Lounge." I'd give the job to a Junior Enlisted person who's only job probably is cleaning the ship.