Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Future movies

If we look at future Trek films from the perspective of the movie industry, I think that the cast of Voyager do not have enough notoriety in the public eye to translate onto the big screen successfully.

The Original Series cast had became a cult in their own right, by the time the movies arrived. Back then, they were the main Sci Fi programme that people wanted more of. Original and fresh.

The Next Generation was the first syndicated programme in its genre and too had that newness and freshness Those characters achieved notoriety as a result of that success that translated well onto the big screen. However, the rise of similar programming dwarfed subsequest generations and left us with Trek with low viewing figures.

I know that all these characters in the small gold fish bowl that is our following, have high status. But out in the ocean that is the real world, they dont. We cannot deny that. Voyager is just anoter programme amidst others like The X Files, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, etc etc. And to try to make a movie out of it would just be a big screen translation of a small screen programme.

Even when Janeway made the big screen, she was ironiacally on a small screen. Hardly on for more than a minute. Janeway basically filled the position that was there already in the film. ANY actor could have done it, and probably to a lot of the cinema going audience, she WAS just some extra filling a part.

I would like to see a Voyager big screen adventure. But I am mature enough and wise enough to know that it isnt going to happen But idf we do have abnother TNg feature, I would prefere it if characters from other series were not just given token parts that any extra could fill just as well.

I lobby for a whole new ship and crew and stylre for the movies that ill set them apart and open up an arc that could continue as an epic, in the Star Wars style.

I agree, Voyager had it's following within the Star Trek community but not much of one out in the masses. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the masses had no idea that Janeway had been in a series of her own for 7 years when they saw her in the movie.

What should a next movie be about? I don't know, will there be one? I don't know, but I would hope so. If TPTB decided to do a Voyager movie it would just be my hope that that decision wouldn't prove to be the death of the franchise in the theatres.

If we look at future Trek films from the perspective of the movie industry, I think that the cast of Voyager do not have enough notoriety in the public eye to translate onto the big screen successfully.

I disagree. Most movie goers don't say, "Wow, a TOS movie!" or "Wow, a TNG movie!" like we would. They usually say, "Cool, a new Star Trek movie." It's my experrience that movie goers don't care which characters are used as long as they recognise one or two and that they can understand the story without watching the TV series.

The Original Series cast had became a cult in their own right, by the time the movies arrived. Back then, they were the main Sci Fi programme that people wanted more of. Original and fresh.

I totally agree.

The Next Generation was the first syndicated programme in its genre and too had that newness and freshness Those characters achieved notoriety as a result of that success that translated well onto the big screen. However, the rise of similar programming dwarfed subsequest generations and left us with Trek with low viewing figures.

Agreed. TNG had no competition and thus was a large success, however DS9, VOY, and now ENT have a huge SCI-FI explossion on TV to compete with. Star Trek is now viewed as "some sci-fi show" by most people, sadly.

I know that all these characters in the small gold fish bowl that is our following, have high status. But out in the ocean that is the real world, they dont. We cannot deny that. Voyager is just anoter programme amidst others like The X Files, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, etc etc. And to try to make a movie out of it would just be a big screen translation of a small screen programme.

Of coarse it'd be a big screen translation of a small screen program, isn't that the point? Keep in mind that The X Files got a movie between seasons 5 & 6 with a sequal in the works. There's also talks of an eventual Superman movie to follow up Smallville when it finishes it's run.

Even when Janeway made the big screen, she was ironiacally on a small screen. Hardly on for more than a minute. Janeway basically filled the position that was there already in the film. ANY actor could have done it, and probably to a lot of the cinema going audience, she WAS just some extra filling a part.

Well, the screen isn't "that" small. I timed her cameo, and it's somewhere arround 2 minutes. Yes, the role was originally for a random Admiral, but Berman felt it might make the movie just "that" much better by having Kate Mulgrew reprise her role as Admiral Janeway. One of my 3 best friends, who aren't Trekkies, had never seen VOY so had no idea who she was. However, my other 2 best friends, who aren't Trekkies, had seen several VOY episodes and enjoyed seeing Janeway in the movie. In fact, I remember her cameo being well recieved opening night.

I would like to see a Voyager big screen adventure. But I am mature enough and wise enough to know that it isnt going to happen But idf we do have abnother TNg feature, I would prefere it if characters from other series were not just given token parts that any extra could fill just as well.

I'd love to see a VOY movie too. However, if we allways said, "It isn't going to happen." we'd still be riding horses and buggies. If we want something bad enough, then we need to make it happen. I've no problem if the producers decide that they "aren't interrested" in doing a VOY movie. However, if they are, I feel the fans should support them to help make it a reallity.

I lobby for a whole new ship and crew and stylre for the movies that ill set them apart and open up an arc that could continue as an epic, in the Star Wars style.

Not me, I'd rather have a movie that features a crew from one of the shows or a mixed-crew. If we didn't have a current series, then I'd go for the "new crew" movie idea.

I agree, Voyager had it's following within the Star Trek community but not much of one out in the masses. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the masses had no idea that Janeway had been in a series of her own for 7 years when they saw her in the movie.

I just don't understand your view. Why should the movie community be familiar with VOY in order for it to be a success? What about all the "original" movies that were a big success? If it has a good script and is advertised well, people will see it.

What should a next movie be about? I don't know, will there be one? I don't know, but I would hope so. If TPTB decided to do a Voyager movie it would just be my hope that that decision wouldn't prove to be the death of the franchise in the theatres.

I believe that Berman will probably want to do a VOY or mixed-crew for the 11th movie. Personally, I think it's 50/50.

I just don't understand your view.  Why should the movie community be familiar with VOY in order for it to be a success?  What about all the "original" movies that were a big success?  If it has a good script and is advertised well, people will see it.

It's 100% about money. Money, Money, Money. I don't believe Voyager would be a profitable venture for a movie. I've said this in so many past threads so I don't understand why you don't understand my view.

Go out and personally finance a movie that has a good script, one that the movie going public is likely going to view as "the same old thing" and then say "If it has a good script and is advertised well, people will see it."

The producers aren't out there making movies just to suit Star Trek fans. They are trying to appeal to the mass market, not you and not me.

As for why should the Movie community be familiar with Voyager, because otherwise the attitude is likely to be "Oh lord, another space ship movie. And now they are trying to dupe us with a woman captain thinking that will stir interest."

Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant just isn't imaginative. It's "been there, done that". Besides, as I have said before. Voyager was completed, the story was ended.

Now on what you believe will happen, why do you believe they will make a Voyager or mixed cast movie, what insights are you privy to? Share them and perhaps I will change my mind. It is my belief that the chances of a Voyager movie are low, very low. But what have you been told or what have you read that makes you think there's a 50% chance there will be a Voyager movie?

I just don't understand your view.  Why should the movie community be familiar with VOY in order for it to be a success?  What about all the "original" movies that were a big success?  If it has a good script and is advertised well, people will see it.

It's 100% about money. Money, Money, Money. I don't believe Voyager would be a profitable venture for a movie. I've said this in so many past threads so I don't understand why you don't understand my view.

I understand that, but money should not be the only reason to make a movie. Yes, money is a big part of that, but the reason to make the movie should be to tell a good story.

Go out and personally finance a movie that has a good script, one that the movie going public is likely going to view as "the same old thing" and then say "If it has a good script and is advertised well, people will see it."

When GENERATIONS came out, was it viewed as "the same old thing"?

The producers aren't out there making movies just to suit Star Trek fans. They are trying to appeal to the mass market, not you and not me.

Agreed.

As for why should the Movie community be familiar with Voyager, because otherwise the attitude is likely to be "Oh lord, another space ship movie. And now they are trying to dupe us with a woman captain thinking that will stir interest."

I disagree. I know many VOY fans who don't really care for Star Trek as a franchise, but would love to see a VOY movie, should one be made.

Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant just isn't imaginative. It's "been there, done that". Besides, as I have said before. Voyager was completed, the story was ended. 

You seem to lack imagination. Do you have any idea how large just one quadrant of the galaxy is? Saying that "Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant just isn't imaginative." tells me that you're not putting your imagination to work. The possibilities are endless. TNG was completed to, that show got 4 movies.

Now on what you believe will happen, why do you believe they will make a Voyager or mixed cast movie, what insights are you privy to? Share them and perhaps I will change my mind. It is my belief that the chances of a Voyager movie are low, very low. But what have you been told or what have you read that makes you think there's a 50% chance there will be a Voyager movie?

1. VOY, like ENT, had a lot invested by Berman & Braga. It's extremely doubtful they'd just let "Endgame" be the end of it.

2. Berman has expressed interrest in a mixed-crew film.

3. Berman talked about which VOY characters he might use in a mixed-crew film, he hardly commented on TNG nor DS9.

4. VOY is more popular than DS9 among the "general public".

5. If there's enough people to keep the show going for 7 years, wouldn't these same people go see the movie? So, why would it not be successful? It doesn't have to be a high budget movie like NEMESIS. They could go for a "cheaper" movie and have the story resolve arround a mystery rather than action. If the movie is successful, they can make sequals.

I understand that, but money should not be the only reason to make a movie.  Yes, money is a big part of that, but the reason to make the movie should be to tell a good story.

Making movies IS 100% about making movies, at least from the prospective of the producers anyway and it's the producers that fund movies and make the decisions on if a movie is made. Money isn't just a "big part" of the equation, it's the only part of it on that level. Propose a movie to a producer and then tell him "it might make a slight profit but it might only break even. Do you think the movie will be funded by that producer?

When GENERATIONS came out, was it viewed as "the same old thing"?

You can't even begin to compare TNG with Voyager. TNG had better ratings, TNG wasn't completed on it's TV version and TNG is set almost 100 years AFTER TOS. If TNG had been in the same time frame then that argument MIGHT hold water but it doesn't. There are huge differences that would make it not the same old thing. Put Picard put there near Praxis as it explodes and yes, same old thing.

Agreed.

I disagree.  I know many VOY fans who don't really care for Star Trek as a franchise, but would love to see a VOY movie, should one be made.

This is where you are completely missing my point, even though you said you agreed with it.

They (the Producers) AREN'T making movies for Voyager fans. I guarantee that almost 100% of Voyager's fans would want a Voyager movie, but when you look at the reality if life those numbers are fairly small. Voyager's ratings weren't all that great when it was on TV as it was and while there are a lot of Voyager fans that may not have liked "Star Trek" as a whole I'd be willing to bet that there was a larger amount of "Star Trek" fans that didn't like Voyager as part of the Star Trek universe.

You seem to lack imagination.

It's not a lack of imagination, it's a sense of reality.

1. VOY, like ENT, had a lot invested by Berman & Braga.  It's extremely doubtful they'd just let "Endgame" be the end of it.

Why not? If they wanted more out of it they wouldn't have ended the series. They would have left it open.

2. Berman has expressed interrest in a mixed-crew film.

That's not a Voyager film.

3. Berman talked about which VOY characters he might use in a mixed-crew film, he hardly commented on TNG nor DS9.

Again, that's not a Voyager film. But please share these comments with us, I'd like to see the site they come from.

Back up your statement with some data to prove this, but again, this discussion isn't about a DS9 movie. Is it?

See below for more on this...

5. If there's enough people to keep the show going for 7 years, wouldn't these same people go see the movie?  So, why would it not be successful?  It doesn't have to be a high budget movie like NEMESIS.  They could go for a "cheaper" movie and have the story resolve arround a mystery rather than action.  If the movie is successful, they can make sequals.

There was talk of canceling Voyager while it was on the air, the first few seasons were really lacking. The show was kept on the air I believe because it was UPN's flagship series. The ratings were pretty lack luster though.

What you are proposing is a low budget exploration Sci-Fi movie that would bomb. Not only among general movie goers but among most Star Trek fans. Your proposal would likely spell the death for the Franchise in the movies and possibly on TV as well.

Deep Space Nine spent most of its lifetime as the number one syndicated first-run show on television despite its falling number of viewers. Even when it became a near-serial show (usually, long-term serial shows are ratings disasters -- witness Babylon 5) airing in prime-time in less than 60 percent of the nation, DS9 managed well over a 4.0 average in its final two years. As a general rule, a syndicated show needs to maintain a 3.0 to be successful, DS9 always maintained that despite the strikes against it. Look at the other sci-fi shows similar to DS9: Earth: Final Conflict is regarded as a decent show ratings-wise, staying in the lower 3.0 range and Babylon 5 is the hot potato of science fiction television -- it's done so poorly that no one wants to hold on to it.

As a serial, more cultish television show, DS9 is right behind the X-Files on the all-time list of successes even with extreme disadvantages.

Voyager, on the other hand, has very little that it can brag about. That's not because Voyager is an awful, unpopular show, but because it's on an awful, unpopular network. Voyager can only do as well as UPN because of Voyager's status as a network show. UPN has been losing stations since day one and is now only airing in a little over 60 percent of the nation, meaning that Voyager is competing in a very crowded market with both hands tied behind its back. For its disadvantages, Voyager has still managed to remain UPN's top show. However, Voyager will never be able to perform near the level of its predecessors so long as it drags the carcass of UPN wherever it goes. That's not the sign of viewers losing interest in Trek, it's the sign that viewers aren't interested in UPN.

http://www.treknation.com/articles/ratings_history.shtml

Lets look at some numbers while we are discussing your assertion that Voyager was more popular to the general public.

Season 1

Deep Space Nine - 10.5 million Viewers

Voyager - 6.54 million Viewers

Season 2

Deep Space Nine - 8.02 million Viewers

Voyager - 6.28 million Viewers

Season 3

Deep Space Nine - 7.2 million Viewers

Voyager - 6.01 million Viewers

Season 4

Deep Space Nine - 5.9 million Viewers

Voyager - 5 million Viewers

Season 5

Deep Space Nine - 5.01 million Viewers

Voyager - 3.3 million Viewers

Season 6

Deep Space Nine - 4.18 million Viewers

Voyager - 3.49 million Viewers

Season 7

Deep Space Nine - 3.85 million Viewers

Voyager - 3.09 million Viewers

http://www.stfanassoc.com/id33.htm

Judging from the Nielsen numbers I don't see where you can say Voyager was more popular. Looks to me that DS9 had more viewers. :quark:

It all boils down to this: a good imagination. People aren't going to say, "Ick, a VOY movie, I won't see it!" Fans may say that, but when I ask friends and various people if they'd see a VOY movie, the general response is either "Sure." or "I don't like sci-fi movies."

Really, it's up to Berman & Braga. Let's see how the DVD season sets sell. If they do extremely well, despite the insane cost, then they might consider a VOY movie. Also, it annoys me when people say "There will not be a VOY movie." as if they could read the future. I'm sure back in 1969, if you said there would be a Star Trek movie, people would laugh.

Personally, I the statistics don't mean squat to me. Make a good movie, and people will see it. It's as simple as that.

Has anyone read New Frontier Books....That could be a start off place and then a mixed crew with new crew.?

What kind of movie could Voyager do? Now there home, some possibly in jail.

Just wondering! :quark:

Why would any of them be in jail? The possible future in "Endgame" shows the Maquis as if they got a pardon.

Besides, VOY was much more than "going home". Think about all the adventures they had. Here's a few ideas...

1. 3rd Borg invasion.

2. Species 8472 invasion.

3. Hologram revolution.

4. Hirogen/Klingon conflict. (In "Message in a Bottle" we learn that the Hirogen are spread thin throughout the delta and beta quadrants.)

5. Mystery-type story.

6. Voyager, upgraded with stranswarp drive, goes on a reconnassiance mission back into the Delta Quadrant.

There's plenty of ideas. One only needs a good imagination, and if the film is made right, people will see it. You don't need statistics to figure that out. :b-day:

Why would any of them be in jail? The possible future in "Endgame" shows the Maquis as if they got a pardon.

Besides, VOY was much more than "going home". Think about all the adventures they had. Here's a few ideas...

1. 3rd Borg invasion.

2. Species 8472 invasion.

3. Hologram revolution.

4. Hirogen/Klingon conflict. (In "Message in a Bottle" we learn that the Hirogen are spread thin throughout the delta and beta quadrants.)

5. Mystery-type story.

6. Voyager, upgraded with stranswarp drive, goes on a reconnassiance mission back into the Delta Quadrant.

There's plenty of ideas. One only needs a good imagination, and if the film is made right, people will see it. You don't need statistics to figure that out. :b-day:

These are great ideas, wow...now you got me thinking and even hoping.

They could make a VOY movie and even have some DS9 and/or TNG

crew on board as special tranfers for that particular mission...everyone

would be happy then....Thanks...you made my day! :b-day:

It all boils down to this: a good imagination.  People aren't going to say, "Ick, a VOY movie, I won't see it!"  Fans may say that, but when I ask friends and various people if they'd see a VOY movie, the general response is either "Sure." or "I don't like sci-fi movies."

Really, it's up to Berman & Braga.  Let's see how the DVD season sets sell.  If they do extremely well, despite the insane cost, then they might consider a VOY movie.  Also, it annoys me when people say "There will not be a VOY movie." as if they could read the future.  I'm sure back in 1969, if you said there would be a Star Trek movie, people would laugh.

Personally, I the statistics don't mean squat to me.  Make a good movie, and people will see it.  It's as simple as that.

In all likelyhood there will not be a Voyager movie.

The only way it will be up to Berman & Braga is if they are financing it. If they are then I believe it would be foolish to make it "Voyager". The show wasn't that popular among non Voyager fans.

It doesn't boil down to good imagination either, it boils down to money. You have to realize that Hollywood is a business and their business is making money.

You say statistics don't mean squat to you now that you see that they aren't in Voyager's favor but in a posting previously you seemed to be saying that Voyager was more popular then DS9 (the only way of knowing which of the 2 was more popular is by using statistics) among the general public and therefore would be more deserving of a movie. What changed to make statistics less important now then they were 2 hours ago?

It will not surprise me if when the DVD sales figures are computed for all 7 seasons the breakdown will show that TNG sold the most, DS9 the second most and Voyager the third most. In fact I saw an article someplace online just recently that indicated that DS9 was the best selling TV show DVD set for last year. I will look for that link and post it if/when I find it.

You say statistics don't mean squat to you now that you see that they aren't in Voyager's favor but in a posting previously you seemed to be saying that Voyager was more popular then DS9 (the only way of knowing which of the 2 was more popular is by using statistics) among the general public and therefore would be more deserving of a movie. What changed to make statistics less important now then they were 2 hours ago?

I was not using statistics, so nothing changed.

I was not using statistics, so nothing changed.

Then what did you base your statement that Voyager was more popular then DS9 on?

BTW...

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...40entry141650

Perhaps they wanted to show the change of Janeway from Captain to Admiral. Since the final two episodes showed that Janeway became an Admiral, this way the audience doesn't have to think "Ok, how did Janeway become an Admiral and when?"

Based on the timeline we should assume Janeway was offered and took the Admiral position after getting Voyager back to the Delta Quadrant

Perhaps they wanted to show the change of Janeway from Captain to Admiral. Since the final two episodes showed that Janeway became an Admiral, this way the audience doesn't have to think "Ok, how did Janeway become an Admiral and when?"

Based on the timeline we should assume Janeway was offered and took the Admiral position after getting Voyager back to the Delta Quadrant

Actually, the future seen in "Endgame" will not happen since Voyager got home 16 years earlier. However, in both timelines, Janeway was probably promoted to Admiral for sticking with Starfleet, keeping her ship in one piece, bringing most of the Starfleet and Maquis crews home, and making big blows to the Borg.

It doesn't boil down to good imagination either, it boils down to money. You have to realize that Hollywood is a business and their business is making money.

You said it all right there. A Voyager movie wouldn't make good money and nobody in Hollywood going to make a movie that's not going to make them money no matter how good the story.