Sign in to follow this  
Adm.RegBarclay

No Hope For The Starfleet Lounge

For all the startrek.com refugees,

I wrote an e-mail to PeopleLink, the former chat service provider for startrek.com, regarding acquisition of the java chat applet that startrek.com used. This is the letter I got back:

Sent : Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:49 PM

To : <smith22686@hotmail.com>

Subject : Re: Star Trek.com Chat Applet

Thank you for your interest in the chat applet.

Unfortunately, due to contractual obligations, we no longer provide chat

hosting services; However, we still offer site licenses for the enterprise

PLChat Server and applets for customers that have their own servers.

Pricing starts at $5000 for up to 250 concurrent users.

This is a perpetual license and does not require annual renewal. Annual

support is also available for 10% of the license price.

If you have any questions regarding chat licensing, or if there is anything

else we can help you with, please let me know.

Best Regards,

PeopleLink Support

support@peoplelink.com

I was hoping, since the loungers were accustomed to that applet, that we could find a host for the room. Unfortunatley, that won't happen, and if startrek.com ever decides to bring back its chat feature it won't be through PeopleLink. Because of this, I have given up my hope of returing things back to the way they were. Some of you did that a long time ago.

This post is really for the administrators of StarTrekFans.net. At first, I didn't think much of stf.net, mainly because I viewed it as a barrier in front of preventing change. In recent days, I've abandoned that view. I've now seen the devotion that the stf.net administrators have for providing a place for us to gather, and how they never let popularity or greed get in the way. This site has a deeper meaning then startrek.com could ever have. It promotes a family type feeling. It seems easy to get to know the people here, and I hope I will in the near future. The stf.net admin work hard to keep this place up for all of us, and I would like to say thank you to them. :bag:

:bag: :)

I am still very Sad

But i hope to see you Reg on the boards and in the chat.Its actually quite nice here...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*takes a breath*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*collapses to the floor in tears* my home! my memories!! how could they..?! nooooo!! gah! *kicks the wall* where am i supposed to go now? im banned from .net chat, i cant get into yahoo for some reason (stupid thing) no the lounge is not gunna be back.. grr! oh by the way has any one seen alex? i havent seen him n a couple days and im getting worried. last time he dissapered like this he ended up in the hospital with bullet holes in him.. the only things i can think of to explain his is #1 hes dead #2 hes hurt or sick #3 he um.. slep wiht sam (not sam carter) #4 hes very very very bussy and for some reason has not e-mailed me. and #5 his computers dead and hes too lazy or busy to go to another comuter or his lab top or his other computer.. for some reason.. well what ever.. im gunna got hunting for a new chat. cya later

Edited by Alterego

as of january 7th 2004 i will never step on startrek.com's chats, any of them, or the forums, ever again. The reason was A; they didnt give us enough warning about the closing, B; i hate them now C; they total morons D;THEY CLOSED THE CHAT and E; they are (insert every swear word in the swear word dicitionary here)

ahhh dont shake me!!! and i care about alex! he makes me happy if it wernt for him i wouldnt be alive! i was about to hang my self from the bridge! i have the rope i was gunna use in my closet! i love him ok!

I agree with LOTB::hugsLOTB::

Um Ro..NEVER EVER let a man be the reason that you kill yourself.Which by the way.If you were REALY suicidal you would already be dead.Lets be reasonable,your a bright young women.If you want to get back into the chat,apologize to the Mod you offended and move on.

my reason wasnt him! i was gunna kill my self then i met him ok! if it wasnt for him id be dead! my reason was life! it was that (bad word) that i was gunn end my own life!! tina you just dont get it ok. just leave me alone ok.. and i did apoligize to the mods!!! but the wont let me on! it hink its cuz i told them to f off and because of my relationship with alex you know what form no on im not going to comment on things involving me an alex.

The Starfleet lounge was, in retrospect, a place I would not allow my children to visit, even if they were 16, 17, or 18. it was th Mos Eisley of Chatrooms, and yes, there were some good people there, but I don't want my sons exposed to the kind of crap that was thrown around there.

RO SHUT UP .I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT ALEX>YOU COMPLAIN TOO MUCH

Could you be more specfic Jim?I never saw any crap per say.The only thing i saw was the complaining and whining off before mentioned people ::glare

Anyway LOTB,I did not mention a thought on Suicide ,Ro did,she does all the time..I agree.Its should go in Risa

Edited by Ambassador tinadoll

Indeed, Jim. There was a lot of perveted weirdo cybersex, constant arguments, swearing, lewd subject matter, and the topic of discussion was rarely about Trek. (My biggest lounge pet peeve: Liberal Anti-American British people)

GOD TINA JUST.. JUST.. GRRRR! YOU KNOW WHAT IM LEVING THIS (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) DUMP!! SE YOU WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER !!!!!!

The difference between People link/STARTREK.COM and us (or other fan sites) is that these sites are run for the love of Star Trek. Speaking for this site I can say that we aren't here for money, advertising, selling or anything of that sort. STF is a site made by devoted fans for devoted fans.

As for the chat room here. Look for some exciting things to come. :bag:

Bye ro ,Don't let the door hit you on the way out

(i'm done i swear) :bag:

Question:When do the People in the Startrek.Net chat ever talk about Trek? :)

Sorry if my libralistic, anti-bush (not anti- America) brtishism offended anyone.

Reg, I could do an I told you so, but I ain't that cruel, welcome to stf.net. You are always welcome here.

I'm Done LOTB

I swear

OIY VEY German

Edited by Ambassador tinadoll

To be honest, there are somethings I won't miss, like not feeling as though I am in a family, here I am. When st.com closed the room, I could see their point, it had become somewhere that if I had kids, I wouldn't want them going. It was far too adult a themed place.