Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Cryosatellite & Cryonics

Cryosatellite & Cryonics

In TNG’s “The Neutral Zone” there was a cryosatellite with several different people in it. These people died and then were frozen right after there death.

Cryonics is developed for the hope that in the future you might be cured from a disease or cancer (that could be able to be cured because it’s the future with medial advances).

In the ST Universe cryosatellites were launched in the 21st Century. (Late 20th and beyond)

Then in this episode the Enterprise D (NCC-1707-D) found a cryosatellite and the doctor was able to bring back to life 3 people. She cured there disease, caner, or what there cause of death was. And then there you have it 3 living and breathing people!

Do you think that cryonics has a chance in actually working (or in the future)?

Would you personally invest in cryonics in the hope that you might be “brought back to life”?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Do you think that cryonics has a chance in actually working (or in the future)?

Would you personally invest in cryonics in the hope that you might be “brought back to life”?

I think it could work and yes I would do it. Why not? I mean if you're dead (like they were in the episode) what have you got to lose? I could see where it might get tricky if you believe in an afterlife though.

i might try it if I had a fatal disease, if i die young or something.. Still i don't think it would work.. to revive someone after such a long time seems rather impossible, but who knows..

"Data, they were already dead. I mean, what more could have happened to them?"

I think it could work, but I don't think I'd do it. When your time comes, it comes. and also, I'd hate to feel so ungrounded and out of place. On the other jhand, I really don't want to die....and it would be interesting to actually see the future...

But it would also be creepy to die wondering if you will ever wake up again. WOUldn't it be better to KNOW for sure, one way or teh other?

Good question master Q!

I'm pretty skeptical. I would want to know more about the technique they use for freezing people. I know it doesn't compare but nothing keeps forever in the freezers we have at home. How much organ and tissue damage would occur between the time of death and the time of freezing. Would the damage be reversible? Is there any research on how brain cells would react to long term freezing and then being thawed? I wouldn't to be thawed out and not have much brain function.

It would be horrib;le if they DID revive you, but you ended up horribly disabled or brain damaged or something...and there's something unnatural about it...

It would be horrib;le if they DID revive you, but you ended up horribly disabled or brain damaged or something...and there's something unnatural about it...

yeah i agree with that, although that is a very interesting thought, master q.

If i did do it, I'd also want to make sure that my families and friends did it to, otherwise i'd be revived, and no one would be there! kind of like scotty in relics

How much organ and tissue damage would occur between the time of death and the time of freezing.  Would the damage be reversible?  Is there any research on how brain cells would react to long term freezing and then being thawed?  I wouldn't to be thawed out and not have much brain function.

Usually when someone has agreed to cryogenics the person is frozen immediately after death if not at the time of death so there is not much time for the body to degrade. As far as the research on the bodies reaction to freezing, they are still brying to correct one "small" problem, all of the cells burst when they are frozen.

I myself would love to be frozen when I die, just for the remote possibility that I could be brought back later. I mean what would I have to lose, I would be dead anyway. I just think that the remote possibility that I could be revived in the future would be great. I think it would be great to see how everything turns out in the future.

I might agree to be frozen, if I were sure that I really was stonedead before they freeze me.. Would still be the same thing as being dead, but then again, who knows..

Didn't they try to do something like that with Ted Williams or is Chryonics and Chryogenics two different things. I Remember reading in the news after williams died that they were going to freeze him to perserve the DNA and than at a later date they would revive him.

Anyway, to your question, with all the crazy Ideas around today, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was possibile. However I wouldn't want to do that because if I die, my life is over. Besides as a catholic, I shouldn't really believe in that.