Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Mini-series instead of an 11th movie?

NEMESIS bombed in theaters. I thought it was a good movie and so do many people I know who aren't fans. However, most fans seem to either hate or dislike this movie. This got me to thinking. DS9 & VOY fans would love to see a movie. Why not put the 11th movie on hold and do a DS9 or VOY mini-series instead? What are your thoughts?

A mini series would be cool for DS9, would we see them in 10 or 20 yrs time? this would be interesting especially if Sisko were tpo turn up after this amount of time.

A voy movie in 3 yrs would be a more viable option one would hope.

Well, I was thinking they could do a mini-series instead of a movie to create "hunger" for the Trek audience. Perhaps a DS9 mini-series, then a VOY movie? I don't think Trek needs to "go away" like some fans do, I just think they need to change the format. Trek thrives on change, even change to continuity to allow the franchise to expand. :lol:

I'd like to see a Voyager mini-series & a DS9 movie, but the reverse would be good, too. All the movies have been either TOS or TNG, & it seems about time they did something with the other Treks. Doing a mini-series for each would be more Trek for less money.

I'd watch a mini-series but I wouldn't want one done as opposed to a movie. The reason Nemesis flopped was because the story wasn't a very strong story, they brought non-Trek people and made it feel more like a Star Wars-ish type movie.

They (TPTB) went away from the normal "Trek Formula" and it didn't fly. They just need to stick with what works.

They (TPTB) went away from the normal "Trek Formula" and it didn't fly. They just need to stick with what works.

I agree with VBG,but i dont like the idea of a mini series why not

restart DS9, it is possible the last episode was left wide open for

a carrry on of the show.

Edited by hangon

Well how about this have a miniseries of the new frontier books which would be somthing new but old at the same time and then have a voyager or ds9 movie while continuing enterprise. It does sound like a lot of trek but IMHO I really don't see a movie any time soon.

Well how about this have a miniseries of the new frontier books which would be somthing new but old at the same time and then have a voyager or ds9 movie while continuing enterprise.  It does sound like a lot of trek but IMHO I really don't see a movie any time soon.

DS9 and/or VOY maybe not have a large enough audience to warrant a movie, so I'd rather see one of the two shows get a mini-series while the other gets a movie. I wouldn't be all that interrested in "New Frontier".

I think mini-serial or television movie is definitely the way to go for Voyager and Deep Space Nine, as I can't see them drawing larger audiences that the TNG crew.

If I were producer I would try to get the TNG crew back for another film while producing Voyager and DS9 to the specifications that I discussed above. If I could not get the TNG cast together then I would either make a Titan film starring Riker, Troy and Polaski, or get the contracts ready for a future Enterprise film.

I don't want to see a TV movie, it'd be nothing more than a 2-parter. ;) I think VOY has movie potential. However, if they can't get a TNG, DS9, nor VOY movie, then a mixed-cast film could work since these three shows are set in the same time perriod.

I don't want to see a TV movie, it'd be nothing more than a 2-parter. ;) I think VOY has movie potential.

I don't see your logic, a mini series is similar TV movie - just look at the new Battlestar Galactia. In fact a mini series is closer to a two parter! ;)

As for Voyager's movie potential, I respect your opinion but could not disagree more. How can you expect a Voyager film to do well when you openly stated your opinion that Nemesis was a flop? As TNG was a more popular show and contains well known film actors (such as Patrick Stewart) I would expect Voyager to be less marketable and very risky for the franchise.

I think DS9 would need more than the average length of a film to use all the threads left over from the series so a mini serial would be the best option IMO.

i think there should be a VOY/DS9 crossover, that would so kool!and it should be a mini series, because a tv-movie sucks, and i hate them! also, it should be repeated a few times incase someone hasnt seen it and wants to.

I don't want to see a TV movie, it'd be nothing more than a 2-parter. ;) I think VOY has movie potential.

I don't see your logic, a mini series is similar TV movie - just look at the new Battlestar Galactia. In fact a mini series is closer to a two parter! :)

A two-part episode and a TV movie are both 90 minutes long and on a similar budget. A mini-series, however, is on a higher budget and would be the length of several TV-movies.

As for Voyager's movie potential, I respect your opinion but could not disagree more. How can you expect a Voyager film to do well when you openly stated your opinion that Nemesis was a flop? As TNG was a more popular show and contains well known film actors (such as Patrick Stewart) I would expect Voyager to be less marketable and very risky for the franchise.

NEMESIS flopped becuase of two things: Big competition and the general audience is tired of TNG. VOY would be a welcome change. Besides, of TOS, TNG, and The X Files can all get a movie, why not VOY? All you need is a good script in order for VOY to be marketable.

I think DS9 would need more than the average length of a film to use all the threads left over from the series so a mini serial would be the best option IMO.

Agreed. ;)

A two-part episode and a TV movie are both 90 minutes long and on a similar budget.

That is not strictly true and I feel you are generalising somewhat. Yes a Star Trek two parter would be 90 minutes however not all television movies are necessarily 90 minutes long as well. Also it would be too simplistic to say that TV movies have a similar budget as a two-parter episode as I have seen some very well realised made for television films that have had a similar budget to a two part mini-serial.

A two-part episode and a TV movie are both 90 minutes long and on a similar budget.

That is not strictly true and I feel you are generalising somewhat. Yes a Star Trek two parter would be 90 minutes however not all television movies are necessarily 90 minutes long as well. Also it would be too simplistic to say that TV movies have a similar budget as a two-parter episode as I have seen some very well realised made for television films that have had a similar budget to a two part mini-serial.

OK, I could be wrong on the budget thing. However, a TV movie is made to be 90 mins long, becuase 1/4 of the two-hour time block will be commercials. I've yet to see a TV movie that was longer than 90 minutes without commercials.

VOY would be a welcome change.  Besides, of TOS, TNG, and The X Files can all get a movie, why not VOY?  All you need is a good script in order for VOY to be marketable.

Voyager had it's fan base, and a Voyager movie might appeal to that fan base but you have to face the reality that Voyager wasn't a wildly successful series in terms of the over all TV audience.

Voyager's Ratings weren't a whole bunch higher then Enterprises are now. Add that to the fact that Voyager's story was completed and, as I've said before there isn't much room for a movie.

As for what a Miniseries is:

http://63.240.197.92/cgi-bin/mwdictaj?miniseries

Main Entry: mini·se·ries

Pronunciation: 'mi-nE-"sir-(")Ez

Function: noun

Date: 1973

: a television production of a story presented in sequential episodes

I'd like a mini-series for one of the trek groups, like Band of Brothers. I think it would do well, especially if it was well written. something that would be reasonable to have go over 6 or 8 episodes.

What about movies that are entirely original and are a big success? I think VOY's ratings should have nothing to do with wether or not a VOY movie is made. Obviously enough people watched for the show to run seven years. If there's that large a VOY audience, then there's enough to warrant a movie, should one be made. To attract new viewers, just come up with an engaging plot that will spread via word-of-mouth like wild fire.

Sure, VOY had bad ratings, but so did TOS, and look what happened.

Also, there was a cancelled show called Fire Fly, which lasted a season. Now it's getting a movie called Serenity. If a show that lasted 14 episodes can get a movie, surely VOY can.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What about movies that are entirely original and are a big success?  I think VOY's ratings should have nothing to do with wether or not a VOY movie is made.  Obviously enough people watched for the show to run seven years.  If there's that large a VOY audience, then there's enough to warrant a movie, should one be made.  To attract new viewers, just come up with an engaging plot that will spread via word-of-mouth like wild fire.

Also, there was a cancelled show called Fire Fly, which lasted a season.  Now it's getting a movie called Serenity.  If a show that lasted 14 episodes can get a movie, surely VOY can.

Ok, front the $50 Million and you can get one made.

The thing is, the producers (the money people) will look at bottom line. TOS would have never gotten a movie had it's reruns not been so successful over the course of about 10 years.

If Voyager's reruns can claim the same success as TOS's then make that argument.

I feel almost 100% confident in saying there will not be a "Voyager" movie. You may see some Voyager people in a movie, but there won't be a movie based only on Voyager.

That said I feel almost as confident that there won't be a "DS9" movie either, and as everyone knows I believe DS9 was by far the superior of the shows.

What about movies that are entirely original and are a big success?  I think VOY's ratings should have nothing to do with wether or not a VOY movie is made.  Obviously enough people watched for the show to run seven years.  If there's that large a VOY audience, then there's enough to warrant a movie, should one be made.  To attract new viewers, just come up with an engaging plot that will spread via word-of-mouth like wild fire.

Also, there was a cancelled show called Fire Fly, which lasted a season.  Now it's getting a movie called Serenity.  If a show that lasted 14 episodes can get a movie, surely VOY can.

Ok, front the $50 Million and you can get one made.

Should we start a fund? :wow:

The thing is, the producers (the money people) will look at bottom line. TOS would have never gotten a movie had it's reruns not been so successful over the course of about 10 years.

That's true.

If Voyager's reruns can claim the same success as TOS's then make that argument.

What about Fire Fly/ which has a 14-episode DVD set? :wow:

I feel almost 100% confident in saying there will not be a "Voyager" movie.

I disagree, all a VOY movie needs in order to happen is a good script.

You may see some Voyager people in a movie, but there won't be a movie based only on Voyager.

You forgot to say "in my opinion". :wow:

That said I feel almost as confident that there won't be a "DS9" movie either, and as everyone knows I believe DS9 was by far the superior of the shows.

I think there's a very good chance DS9 will get a mini-series or movie. Time will tell.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Why do I get the feeling of deja vu while reading this?

Anyway, no Voyager movie, please!!! The actors aren't very talented and the stories were terrible. The only way I'll watch it is if they play the Gilligan's Island theme music at the start, adapting it for the genre...

Hmm....

"The Ballad of Janeway's Island"

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,

A tale of a fateful trip

That started from this tropic orb

Aboard this speedy ship.

The mate was a tatooed sailing man,

The skipper brave and sure.

90 crewmen set sail that day

For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The space winds started getting rough,

The tiny ship was tossed,

If not for the courage of the fearless crew

Voyager would be lost, Voyager would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted foreign Quad

With Janeway

Chakotay too,

The pilot and his wife,

The engineer

The holographic doctor and tarty Borg, (sorry, this line doesn't quite work)

Here in the Delta Quad.

Wow, that sucked. It's not even funny. I guess that's the problem with Voyager, too.

Anyway, no Voyager movie, please!!!  The actors aren't very talented and the stories were terrible. 

Wow, that sucked.  It's not even funny.  I guess that's the problem with Voyager, too.

really.gif Three little letters RSV, "IMO". It's amazing how they can make even that kind of sarcasm a little less offensive.

I personally loved Voyager and the talented actors on the show.

Anyway, no Voyager movie, please!!!  The actors aren't very talented and the stories were terrible. 

Wow, that sucked.  It's not even funny.  I guess that's the problem with Voyager, too.

really.gif Three little letters RSV, "IMO". It's amazing how they can make even that kind of sarcasm a little less offensive.

I personally loved Voyager and the talented actors on the show.

Oh, right, IMO, I forgot. But isn't it a given that it's IMO on a public message board? I actually thought about writing it in the previous message but given the content I thought it was pretty clear I was just expressing a personal distaste for Voyager. Sorry.

Yes it is a given sort of, but it just makes things sound a little more polite and eases tension, that's all.

What about Fire Fly/ which has a 14-episode DVD set? :bow:

I've never heard of Fire Fly and won't go see a movie about it. Fire Fly isn't Star Trek. I'm sure it doesn't fall under the Star Trek Franchise and therefore can't be used as a proper comparison.

However, you did compare Voyager to TOS and I said that if Voyager can show the same success as TOS then make the argument.

You may see some Voyager people in a movie, but there won't be a movie based only on Voyager.

You forgot to say "in my opinion". ;)

I didn't forget, I left it out because I didn't want to say it. ;)

Look at it this way, Star Trek has at least 20 Million fans. Faithful Fans. Dedicated Fans. If there isn't even agreement within the fanbase that a Voyager movie should be made then what makes you think non Star Trek fans would be into it?

Yes it is a given sort of, but it just makes things sound a little more polite and eases tension, that's all.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to keep it mind in the future. Things do get misinterpreted on message boards easily. I wasn't trying to offend anyone - it's just how I really feel about Voyager. I cringe when I watch it, though I do understand it has a certain appeal to other fans and the others likely feel the same way about some of the things I like in Trek.

Look at it this way, Star Trek has at least 20 Million fans. Faithful Fans. Dedicated Fans. If there isn't even agreement within the fanbase that a Voyager movie should be made then what makes you think non Star Trek fans would be into it?

Most non-fans I've talked to said they'd go see a VOY movie. :bow:

OK, I could be wrong on the budget thing.  However, a TV movie is made to be 90 mins long.

I would not be so sure about the time of all television movies CJLP. Here are a few that are longer than 90 mins, all TV movies (I've included the runtime and a link to their IMDB pages so you an see for yourself):

The Music Man, Runtime: 150 min / USA:180 min (including commercials) - a recent Disney made for tv movie:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0293437/

A Murder Is Announced , Runtime: 153 min - Based on an Agatha Christie novel:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0087756/

Coming Home, Runtime: 180 min - Starring Peter O'Toole:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0158653/

OK, I could be wrong on the budget thing.  However, a TV movie is made to be 90 mins long.

I would not be so sure about the time of all television movies CJLP. Here are a few that are longer than 90 mins, all TV movies (I've included the runtime and a link to their IMDB pages so you an see for yourself):

The Music Man, Runtime: 150 min / USA:180 min (including commercials) - a recent Disney made for tv movie:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0293437/

A Murder Is Announced , Runtime: 153 min - Based on an Agatha Christie novel:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0087756/

Coming Home, Runtime: 180 min - Starring Peter O'Toole:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0158653/

My full qoute would be:

OK, I could be wrong on the budget thing. However, a TV movie is made to be 90 mins long, becuase 1/4 of the two-hour time block will be commercials. I've yet to see a TV movie that was longer than 90 minutes without commercials.

So, as you see, I said, "I've yet to see a TV movie that was longer than 90 minutes without commercials."