Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Biggest rip off of Star Wars

Which film or series did you think was a big rip in the wake of Star Wars? Films like The Black Hole and series like Battlestar Galactica that cashed in on it's success? I mean, the Motion Picture sort of owed a lot to the success of Star Wars because interest in Sci Fi was re-awoken for ages after that...

There was this movie called Battle Beyond the Stars that had this mythological space epic flavor to it. But I'm sure this movie would never have been made if Star Wars never came out. Not to say the movie was bad, it had it's appeal in a b film sort of way.

But I have to agree the eighties and late 70's saw a slew of star wars wannabees. To name few "Krull," "Black Hole," "Buck Rogers," that god awful show called "Quark."

Althought I think movies like "The Last Starfighter" and "V" the TV movie gets unfairly put in this category because I thought those were good movies.

Althought I think movies like "The Last Starfighter" and "V" the TV movie gets unfairly put in this category because I thought those were good movies.

The Last Starfighter does belong in this catagory. It had so much promise and then just deteriorated into this Disney-like flick. It was only memorable because it used up to date computer graphics for the space scenes. Up to date for that time I mean. V was just a typical mini-series that although contained a familiar premise (aliens come to earth and promise all sorts of things), it was just another lame tv show. Every now and then I'll catch some re-runs but the end was never in doubt and like Independance day, borrowed heavily on old tried and true sci-fi formulas. The ending was just a twist on H.G. Wells War of The Worlds ending. No, they both deserve where they belong. As for the wave of sci-fi films of the late seventies and early eighties, it was exactly as stated. A blatent attempt by everyone to cash in on the Star Wars phenomenon that was sweeping the country. Sci-Fi was cool again and I agree that had it not been for Star Wars, TMP would probably never had been made. It gave Paramount a jump start to actualy consider making the movie in order to cash in on the franchise rights it already owned. Yes, it awoke the genre from years of slumber and wasn't it a strange coincidence that the age of the computer took off at just about the same time. If it wasn't for the ground-breaking methods developed for special fx, we might never had seen half of this stuff see the light of day.

I like to think of Star Wars / Star Trek a chicken / egg theory... but the Star Wars / Star Wars has more logic to it... when were these two empires developed and which one was a rip off of which, or are they completely different with no intension of having a big fan based battle?

Saying that Battle Beyond the Stars was a ripoff of Star Wars is wrong, it was based on the film the Magnifisant seven, which in turn is based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

I like to think of Star Wars / Star Trek a chicken / egg theory... but the Star Wars / Star Wars has more logic to it... when were these two empires developed and which one was a rip off of which, or are they completely different with no intension of having a big fan based battle?

Star Trek aired for 3 seasons - 1966-69.

Star Wars, the first movie, came out in 1977.

Star Trek made sci-fi big on tv, but Star Wars made sci-fi big in the movies. Originally, they were going to create Star Trek: Phase II, a Star Trek spin-off with everyone except Spock. Instead, due to the success of Star Wars, Star Trek: Phase II was scrapped, and the existing sets and such were used to make the first Trek movie: Star Trek The Motion Picture. Trek owes it's movie success to Wars, becuase if it wasn't for Wars, there might not have been Trek movies. They have nothing in common though.

There was this movie called Battle Beyond the Stars that had this mythological space epic flavor to it.  But I'm sure this movie would never have been made if Star Wars never came out.  Not to say the movie was bad, it had it's appeal in a b film sort of way.

But I have to agree the eighties and late 70's saw a slew of star wars wannabees.  To name few "Krull," "Black Hole," "Buck Rogers," that god awful show called "Quark."

i remember battle beyond the stars, it had john boy in it :innocent: . it was a b movie, but not bad for tv. the last starfighter was great, it was a fun movie to watch, not a movie along the lines of trek or wars, but good nonethe less. V i enjoyed greatly for a tv movie, and then series. to each there own i guess. as far as BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, scifi yes, but starwars rip i dont think so. it came out right about the same time as the movie too, shortly after i beleive. i know it was '78, but anyway i LOVED that show ive got all 24 eps on vhs off of scifi channel with one of there GALACTITHONS. im glad for the onslaught of scifi shows, and movies after STARWARS, i loved a lot of them, krull was cool too. but i have an appreciation for movies in general so i guess it could just be me, i look for anything good in the movie to take away from it, instead of just, "oh it sucked". well enough from me.