Which would you like to see?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you like to see?

• Theatrical Movie
    • TV Movie
    • Mini-series
    • "Endgame" was an excellent ending.

i have 2 comments:

1: if you have read the story "home coming" a 2 part voyager book. you wo8uld know that there is a story for a movie in there... once backon earth people start gaining borg assimilation like symptoms just super slowwly (this is the queens "virus-stye" nanoprobe assimilation) the oyager crew falls under suspicion...  7 of 9 and Echieb are taken into custody and its up to tom paris, janeway, and tuvok to rescue them! (in the book there is an almost side plot where the doctor accidentally starts a holographic revolution and gets taking into custody but they could leave that out) The whole thing ends with the crew discovering that section 31's head was secretly using a mark I EMH (ethical subroutines not withstanding) to make her the new borg queen

I think it could work for a spectacular movie, except making Seven a new Queen. Wouldn't the Queen just clone herself like before? As for the holographic revolution, that'd be adding too much. Perhaps that could be the second movie? Finally, Section 31, wouldn't this be more suited for a DS9 movie? The general VOY audience would have no idea what that is.

wheew that was long now:

Indeed. :bag:

2:
Here's a list of plots they could use in a future story:

1. Beta Quadrant Hirogen didn't get the Holo-deck technology, so they'd make for good villians, but wouldn't give reason for the crew to re-unite.

2. The Borg Collective has survived the "virus" infection from Admiral Janeway and are back with a vengence. It's been discovered that Earth is a year into a viral-assimilation that the Queen told Seven about in "Dark Frontier".

3. Species 8472 is launching an attack on the Federation, the peace talks between the 8472's in "In the Flesh" and their supperiors failed.

1. Agreed.

2. I'd love to see this in a VOY movie.

3. This would be almost better than the Borg idea, considerring that Species 8472 is still very alien, little is known, and they're down right scary due to being so "alien".

problems:

1: the hirogens wouldn't be able to get here remember there still 70 years away

2:hey YOU stole this idea!

3:again the travel distance.. but assuming that fluidic space allows for faster travel janeway still knows that borg nanoprbes would wipe them out and that would be to much CG work for one movie...

1. Actually, in "Message in a Bottle" and "Hunters", we learn that the Hirogen communication network spans the Delta and Beta quadrants. It's quite possible that many Hirogen ships are on the other side of the Klingon and Romulan empires. I could see a VOY movie about a Hirogen/Klingon conflict, with Voyager running to aid the Federation's allies.

2. Who stole which idea?

3. Species 8472 are from another realm, so they could enter the galaxy anywhere they want. As for the CGI work being too much work for a movie, it wasn't for "Scorpion", so I fail to see why it wouldn't work for a movie. Also, keep in mind that Janeway gave Species 8472 the nanoprobe weapon as an act of peace.

:b-day:I don't know how to vote on this one. It would be nice to see Voyager again, but there are some of the orginal crew that would not come back to that kind of acting. :quark: Although you guys have some great ideas that would be cool to see on screen. :b-day:

one episode would nopt be able to show all that info plus it would be a waste of money for all the viewers it would bring..... no it would have to be a new movie or a refreshed series

Yes a movie with a lot of SEVEN in it :laugh:

:naughty:

I would like to see a mixed feature film, some script that sees some of the Voyager crew involved in an important mission against some terrifying enemy either in the gamma quad or at the bajoran end of the wormhole so they could stick some of the DS9 characters in it

Voy should return.

The plot could be something like Paris and torres's family are trapped on a planet and members of the crew on the way help Captain Chakotay to rescue them.

1. Beta Quadrant Hirogen didn't get the Holo-deck technology, so they'd make for good villians, but wouldn't give reason for the crew to re-unite.

2. The Borg Collective has survived the "virus" infection from Admiral Janeway and are back with a vengence. It's been discovered that Earth is a year into a viral-assimilation that the Queen told Seven about in "Dark Frontier".

3. Species 8472 is launching an attack on the Federation, the peace talks between the 8472's in "In the Flesh" and their supperiors failed.

That's just three ideas that I feel would make an excellent VOY movie. Any time I bring up this topic, all you say is "Voyager got home, there's nothing left to tell", so how about telling me why some of these ideas can't work? I'd like to read your thoughts.

All three of your movie ideas assume that the audience has previous knowledge of the series and are aware of some complicated plotlines, that is why they would not work for the casual viewer. If you thought Nemesis was a flop then...

I have to agree with VBG, Voyager's central plot was the voyage home and that was concluded at the end of the series. Also, TNG would have more pulling power and is more marketable to a wider audience while Voyager and DS9 have less appeal (although I believe DS9 would have more than Voyager, and would therefore have a greater chance of becoming a movie out of these two).

That's just three ideas that I feel would make an excellent VOY movie. Any time I bring up this topic, all you say is "Voyager got home, there's nothing left to tell", so how about telling me why some of these ideas can't work? I'd like to read your thoughts.

All three of your movie ideas assume that the audience has previous knowledge of the series...

No, it does not. I saw The X Files movie, after not watching the show for two years, and I enjoyed it plenty without having "back ground info".

...and are aware of some complicated plotlines, that is why they would not work for the casual viewer. If you thought Nemesis was a flop then...

All of the Trek movies have been "stand alone" movies. So, saying they would not work for the casual viewer doesn't make sense. All the other Trek movies worked, so your point is moot. I did not think NEMESIS was a flop.

I have to agree with VBG, Voyager's central plot was the voyage home and that was concluded at the end of the series.

How does this keep a VOY movie with a new plot from happening? :force:

Also, TNG would have more pulling power and is more marketable to a wider audience while Voyager and DS9 have less appeal (although I believe DS9 would have more than Voyager, and would therefore have a greater chance of becoming a movie out of these two).

Most movie goers aren't going to care what cast is used, they'd be interrested in a STAR TREK movie, despite who's in it. At least, that's been my experrience with non-fans. DS9 & VOY may have less appeal, but a good script would make the movi a success. Look at ST-4, that movie would'a been a success wether it was a Trek movie or not. So, as I said, all you need is a good script, directing, acting, and so forth. As for DS9 having appeal than VOY, why? DS9 ended all of it's arcs, while VOY has plenty left to tell. Actually, VOY has the greater chance of a movie since Berman likes VOY more than DS9. :biggrin:

I'd like to see more about the 'Caretaker', who caused all their problems in the first place. How DID the Caretaker come into being? Did I miss something? And what happened when they did finally get back to earth. How long were they actually in the Delta Quadrant, in earth time? Hmmm, what about Mike, and Janeway's dog? I vaguely remember that Mike married someone else, or was it David? The bartender in the 'fairhaven' episode reminded her of him. hmmm, such possibilities for more Voyager.

also I would like to add that voyager was more of the traditional "startrek" show where you have a bunch of people in starfleet uniform exploring the universe

whereas DS9 (which did have some kewl episodes) is mostly politics between bajor and cardassia and then the occasional problem with wormhole/station-systems and some times they would go visit some where else

my point is that a DS9 film would not capture the ADVENTURE aspect that a big big part of startrek! :biggrin:

All three of your movie ideas assume that the audience has previous knowledge of the series...
No, it does not.

Erm yes they do. Might I draw your attention to the following quotations from your ideas:

1. Focuses on the "Beta Quadrant Hirogen didn't get the Holo-deck technology"

2. "The Borg Collective has survived the "virus" infection from Admiral Janeway" and "It's been discovered that Earth is a year into a viral-assimilation that the Queen told Seven about in Dark Frontier". So here you make reference to two events that happened in the series.

3. "The peace talks between the 8472's in "In the Flesh" and their supperiors failed."

All your examples take specific aspects from episodes in the series and assume that the audience will understand. You could of course argue that TWOK was based on an episode however TWOK was also a simple of story of vengence which is an easy concept for newcomers to empathise with the protaganist's motivation.

All of the Trek movies have been "stand alone" movies. So, saying they would not work for the casual viewer doesn't make sense. All the other Trek movies worked, so your point is moot.

I don't think you have understood my post as I have not mentioned anything about the previous movies being able to stand on their own feet. I am saying that your examples are not "stand alones" and require detailed foreknowledge regarding certain aspects created within the plot of previous episodes, which is fine for hardcore fans but less accessable to the general public IMO.

I did not think NEMESIS was a flop.

Here is an quotation from one of your threads in the movie forum: "NEMESIS was an awesome action movie, yet it bombed in theaters"

Most movie goers aren't going to care what cast is used, they'd be interrested in a STAR TREK movie, despite who's in it. At least, that's been my experrience with non-fans.

The term is called consumer loyality. That is why people go to see a film because a certain actor is in it and why studios like to cast well known stars in their films.

DS9 & VOY may have less appeal, but a good script would make the movi a success.

Yes a good script would give the film more appeal but I feel that you are underestimating all the other factors that go in to making a film, such as marketing ability. And seeing that you stated that Nemesis "bombed" in cinemas do you think a film with "less appeal" is the best option?

As for DS9 having appeal than VOY, why? DS9 ended all of it's arcs, while VOY has plenty left to tell.

Well as I saw it, Voyager got home and the main plotline of the entire series was concluded, however DS9 finished with many unanswered threads in the final episode. In effect there is more material for writers to draw on in DS9 and it had bigger viewing figures than Voyager during its run.

Finally I would like to state that I am not saying that Voyager shouldn't come back, but trying to explain the reasons why I believe it is unlikely to come back in the form of a theatrical movie. In my opinion the best option for a successful production involving the Voyager cast would be in a television or mini-serial.

Hope that answers a few of your questions. :biggrin:

I tottally side with jean-luc picard here

they movie ideas don't REQUIRE (operational word there) that you know about those episodes but I mean you don't know what a phaser is until you see it.... so mabe the movie spends one scene with janeway explaining the hirogen or species 8472 to another starfleet captian big whoop....

I think that you need to chill with the bashing there mister malfunction

TM did no bashing, he simply debated the things said by the captain in the same way the captain would defend his opinion <(operational word there)

Capt.Vash, one of the greatest things about STARTREKFANS.NET is that we can all discuss our opinions and views freely as long as we do not break the rules set down. If you feel that any aspect of my post has broken one of the rules then you are most welcome to take up the matter with me in a PM.

Being a bit of a film fan I have read many books on the topic and have studied media in college and one of the most important things that I have learned is that you must spread your target audience as wide as possible in order to make a significant profit, this is applied to all forms of media including advertising and film production.

In my opinion a full feature film focusing on the crew of the starship Voyager would not be as marketable as a Next Generation or Deep Space Nine film. When we look at the ratings for the three television programmes above it is clear that Voyager has the smallest target audience and is therefore not as popular with the general public who would not consider themselves part of Star Trek's fanbase.

Having seen the success of the Battlestar Galactica mini serial I believe that the future of Voyager would be better suited to this format. It would allow for the story to make greater references to past events in the show as it would be targeting a specific television market and would also on the wider scale present less of a risk to the franchise.

while I recognize your acclaim in this field i would like for you to consider for the moment that patrick steward said that he would refuse any further roles as captain piccard... also Data a much loved character was killed off and you yourself noted that nemesis bombed in theaters so maby a fresh crew would be better for the next movie your argument here will then be that it should go to DS9 but as I said before DS9 is so much more politically involved that an action based movie might put off the series fans while a diplomatic "problem" episode will put off the fans of all the other series/movie viewers i bet your fancy

Being a bit of a film fan I have read many books on the topic and have studied media in college
didn't help ya think of that!

PS: I feel sad for kate mulgrew the other day I heard her narrating a car commercial... I cried :biggrin:

Edited by Capt.Vash

With her distinctive voice, you'd think Mulgrew would get a recurring role on ENT, like Combes

OOh, she'd make a great Romulan

Edited by Neelix the cat

i just wanted to say that voy didnt do much for me personally i found it entertaining at times but it just got a little dull after awhile, so if u had a poll option that said that u woodnt like to c any of the above i wood choose it sry nothing personal i just didnt enjoy it that much and it doesnt have a big enough market.

if you don't like vuyager dont post here

All views on Voyager are welcome here. I am considering adding another option to this poll if you guys feel it's needed..

How about 'I wouldn't like to see Voyager return at all'

BTW, I voted for a TV Movie..As much as I would like to see a Theatrical Voyager Movie..I don't feel it would do well..Now, a TV Movie or Mini Series would be fantastic..

I am considering adding another option to this poll if you guys feel it's needed..

That's what the "Endgame" was an excellent ending. option is for.

Where's the winky face? :laugh:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I am considering adding another option to this poll if you guys feel it's needed..

That's what the "Endgame" was an excellent ending. option is for.

Where's the winky face? :laugh:

OK CJLP..I guess we can leave the poll the way that it is. Unless someone else voices an opinion that we need another option..There just doesn't seem to be an option for someone who doesn't like Endgame or Voyager as a series..

I seriously think it needs a theatrical movie becuase the ending of endgame really made upset. Althought everyone got home, yeah with a lil scratches it wasnt as spectacular as their other missions. Take for instatnce Year of Hell in comparison to Endgame. With YOH it seemed to pull the entire team together throught the hardest year every for them, and Janeway making the most crucial decision ever in the history of the VOY. Endgame was childsplay for Janeway and I dont think it really showed her with her best efforts of getting to go home. :laugh:

Edited by Syperphobia

I would find it intersting. Star Trek needs something other than TNG for their movies.

Personally, I think only series with Enterprise in it, will make it to the big screen.

:)

sort of like a Tradition.

So to see other series crew in a movie, u got to have the Enterprise in it., lol

Besides the Enterprise are the only ones that stays long enough for a movie.

DS9, the crew split up but their station is still there

Voyager, the crew split up & Voyager has 80% of becoming a museum.

There's not much to go for, in those 2 alone. :(

i would hope to have a voyager theatrical movie. i didn't think endgame was a good finale. yes, the ultimate plot line was fullfilled, but there were so many other plot lines that were left unclosed. like what it would be like to just to get intergrated back into society and stuff. i think the writers could have def explored that.

my predition: if they made a voyager movie they would put voyager back into the delta quadrant cuz of neelix. i mean i don't really like neelix and all that but he is def part of the crew. you really can't have a complete voyager crew without neelix as much as i don't like him.

Edited by trekkie87820

Its not a question of wether we want the series to return as a film or not. It sis up to Paramount to decide wether the movie-going public knows the crew and adventures of Voyager as well as it does does Kirk's Enterprise and Picard's Enterprise. Thats why in my mind there will never be a DS9 movie. Apart from the fact the end was so final, DS9 is probably the least known series of the Trek franchise.

Also, the whole point of Voyager was to explore what hadn't been explored before. Having adventures out of the delta quadrent would simply be TNG Lite if you will. Fine, we care about the characters but that won't mean anything in trying to launch a movie for the general public.