Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Phaserman

A day in the life of a US Naval Officer.

alumnus. I think that's the proper singular.

Yep. Almnus--masculine singular; alumna--fem. sing; alumni--masc. plural (and if there are both men and women); alumnae--fem. pl. Yay for Latin.

And congrats.

Do be careful with the pot...

actually nominative, fem, pl...

accusative fem pl is alumnas...

etc...

look it up...

LATIN NERDS RULE!!

Nope. It's 'alumnae,' in English. (Yes, I know my basic 1st declension... but we aren't speaking Latin. :dude: ) (fortunately. My pronounciation is somewhere south of truly awful.)

Latin nerds... by any chance, are you in the JCL? Just wondering...

Ah. Link fun. http://www.uga.edu/identity/styleguide.html

And as I know it, pot=marijuana.

your confusing Jim for someone else, Kyalia. He doesn't smoke pot. if he did, he wouldn't be married to me (I'd divorce him in a heartbeat)

alumnus. I think that's the proper singular.

Yep. Almnus--masculine singular; alumna--fem. sing; alumni--masc. plural (and if there are both men and women); alumnae--fem. pl. Yay for Latin.

And congrats.

Do be careful with the pot...

actually nominative, fem, pl...

accusative fem pl is alumnas...

etc...

look it up...

LATIN NERDS RULE!!

Nope. It's 'alumnae,' in English. (Yes, I know my basic 1st declension... but we aren't speaking Latin. :unsure: ) (fortunately. My pronounciation is somewhere south of truly awful.)

Latin nerds... by any chance, are you in the JCL? Just wondering...

Ah. Link fun. http://www.uga.edu/identity/styleguide.html

And as I know it, pot=marijuana.

technically no, but next year yes...

I'm going to high school so I can be in it...

I did make perfect scores on the National Latin Exam..

<---New Avatar, Check it out!

I changed my avatar yesterday, and again today, to represent my new rank. the rank of Lieutenant, Junior Grade in the US Navy is represented by one silver bar on the khaki uniform, and on the utility jumpsuit, and on shoulderboards with the Dress white and summer white uniforms, or on the sleeves on the Service Dress Blue coat by one full gold stripe and one half gold stripe. on shoulderboards, the half stripe is worn inboard, and on the Service Dress Blue coat the half stripe is above the full stripe.

Some of you are going to want picture illustrations. you have a picture to the left of the single silver bar worn on my collar.

here are sholder boards

ltjg-sb.gif

and the Sleeve insignia

ltjg-sl.gif

My rank is equivelent to that of a Sub Lieutenant in the Canadian Navy.

I was at work today from 0600 to 2100. from this point forward, I don't wanna hear anyone complaining about their cushy jobs working 8 hours a day. you can talk to me when you work your first 14 hour day. (this is FAR from my first, by the way)

Sir, don't forget, we are working even when we're off. Most of our civilian conterparts, have the luxery of being able to truly leave work at work. don't know about you, but I've lost track of not being able to get a full nights sleep because of pagers, phone calls, etc. Let alone, a full weeks worth of restful sleep.( Current command watch, for which I thank congress for not voting the correct bill into law, one to many times, Democrocy in action :laugh: :blink: )

another long day, with frustrating superiors and even more frustrating recruits. I did an inspection of recruits in their SIXTH week of Boot Camp, and THREE of them STILL couldn't tell me the damned FIRST General Order to the Sentry! ("Take Charge of this post and all government property in view") now, I might remind you that they need to have the 11 General Orders memorised by the end of their FIRST week. and these recruits WILL hate life if they cannot tell me what the First General Order is today (Tuesday). I told them I want them to know 1-6 by heart, otherwise I get to have them doing PT. and I am not nice when I lead PT. for those wondering, I used to work out with a Marine DI, and anyone familiar with Marine Corps Drill Instructors can attest to how much they love PT.

my posting numbers are down, primarily because I just don't care as much as I used to. I've gotten so busy lately that I haven't had time to do much posting, I just end up coming in and reading old posts.

So I walked into the barracks of the aforementioned unit, to see if the recruits could come up with the answers to my question, and I really would have saved myself a few grey hairs by walking right back out. I enter the barracks, and one recruit, sweeping, looks up, sees me, and says, and I quote, "Sup, yo?" Now, unless they changed regulations on me last night when I wasn't looking, "Sup, yo?" is NOT the proper way to address an officer. His punishment? Pushups till I left the barracks, which, just out of spite, I postponed as long as possible. and he had to count loud and clear, "One! The proper way to Address an Officer is Sir! Two! I will not address officers with the phrase "Sup, yo!" and so on, alternating, you get the picture. I'm evil. the second recruit to recognise me did the right thing. he called Attention on deck, loud and clear. the recruit I had just dropped went to attention, I turned and told him to keep going with the pushups. Everyone else I put at Parade Rest. two of the recruits from yesterday had one through six down pat. the third...this one won't like life...had one through four. now, how I'll admit, six is a pain in the ***..

Recieve, Obey, and Pass on to the Sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Day, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch Only.

now, that said, how the hell could he have NOT gotten the Fifth?

Quit my post only when properly relieved.

so, needless to say, if these recruits don't shape up, there are gonna be some RDC's who won't be happy when they get their evals.

so today I was talking with one of the Ensigns in the office, and we both decided that if either of us were in charge of troop movements, we'd not have moved any troops out of Korea. we would have, however, removed ALL American units from bases in Germany, and France. they are big countries now, and no longer need our protection, we decided. I am about to recommend that the three recruits I am having issues with be Seperated from the Service. they would recieve an Entry Level discharge, which isn't a bad thing, but not great either.

SoI have to be in at 1700 tonite, because I am scheduled as the nightshift OIC. I've been called 5 or 6 times today by the OIC that's on watch now, sometimes I swear as often as these guys call me, you'd think the whole damned Navy would fall apart without me! (Actually, with the post I have right now, it is potentially feasible that the Navy COULD fall apart without me. Enough ego trips for today, though.)

adding onto that one, I reported in at 1700 friday night. I got home at 22:20 Saturday night. I got 4 hours of sleep on a rather uncomfortable rack in the office.

Wow, sir. A lots happened since I've been away. This is great news though that they'll be a few less "Rocket Scientists" in our service!!!!

On behalf of all us P.O.'s out there:

THANK YOU!!!!!

Anyway, Things are great on this end. Hope all is well with you. :spock::flex: :(

Hope your duty went well

Doc Niel out

Wow, sir. A lots happened since I've been away. This is great news though that they'll be a few less "Rocket Scientists" in our service!!!!

Have you seen the new recruiting poster? it has a picture of a cruiser firing a missile, with the caption "Studying Rocket science is much more fun when you actually have rockets!"

while I'm posting on the boards I'm doing homework, studying the defensive scheme, since yours truely is now the D-line and O-line coach at a local High School. I'm also working out various D-line stunts that we could do.