Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

The Prime Directive

does anyone but me feel that cap. Janeway doesn't really care about the prime directive?

She uses it to neglect aliens Starfleets technology, and I agree that is probably the right thing to do..

but whenever they can use some new technology, the prime directive doesn't seem to bother her..

Like when they were trying to bargain for the transporter technology (some episode in the first season, don't remember wich) it was okey.. they even stole it.. hmm..

any one else have som thoughts about it? It irritates me :o

Still Voyager is a good series, don't get me wrong..

When you are that far from home and want to get what's left of your crew home safely before they die from old age, sometimes the rules are going to be bent if not broken.

When you are that far from home and want to get what's left of your crew home safely before they die from old age, sometimes the rules are going to be bent in not broken.

That's how I look at it, you do what you gotta do.......

I agree that she could bend the rules if it means taking the crew home, but why can't she bend the rules the other way?.. She just seems so selfish..

I think that she had to do what she had to do. remember the other captain who got lost in the delta Quadrant also? he did not care at all about he prime directive. all he cared about was getting his crew home even if it ment killing an inoccent race of beings!!! has Janeway put her crew before any other race hmm........example .....the okompa, instead of letting a race die she sacrificed her crew from going home!!!

:laugh: :) :)

I think that she had to do what she had to do. remember the other captain who got lost in the delta Quadrant also? he did not care at all about he prime directive. all he cared about was getting his crew home even if it ment killing an inoccent race of beings!!! has Janeway put her crew before any other race hmm........example .....the okompa, instead of letting a race die she sacrificed her crew from going home!!!

Capt_d, you must remember that Captain Ransom (the captain you are referring to) didn't have nearly as much mobility and resources as Captain Janeway. His ship, the Equinox, was much smaller, couldn't go that fast, it was in shambles, and most of its crew was dead. The temptation to let the Prime Directive slip away must have been extreme. He totally switched into "survival at any cost" mode, and he started killing those creatures for fuel for his doped up warp drive

On that note, I feel that Captain Janeway didn't give fair treatment to the remaining Equinox officers ("The Equinox Five"). As Ransom said they were only following orders. I refer to the incident in Star Trek IV when Kirk accepted full blame for the actions of the TOS crew working under his orders. :)

Like when they were trying to bargain for the transporter technology (some episode in the first season, don't remember wich) it was okey.. they even stole it.. hmm..

If you rewatch that episode. Capt. Janeway was against taking the technology without the permission of the alien government. It was Tuvok and the other members of the crew that made the deal to acquire the technology, and Janeway reprimanded Tuvok for it afterwards.

If I remember correctly, Janeway was completely against the space folding technology BECAUSE of the PD, and Blanna and Seska had to steal the technology, although Tuvok ended up helping...

Besides, it must have been hard to resist when your that far away, but I think, more likely, it was hard for another reason(s)...YOY was on the other side of the galaxy. They could never get help from starfleet or advice, or resourses or anything!

Picard also broke the PD, as did Sisko, and they don't get tortured, they are admired!

Capt_d, you must remember that Captain Ransom (the captain you are referring to) didn't have nearly as much mobility and resources as Captain Janeway. His ship, the Equinox, was much smaller, couldn't go that fast, it was in shambles, and most of its crew was dead. The temptation to let the Prime Directive slip away must have been extreme. He totally switched into "survival at any cost" mode, and he started killing those creatures for fuel for his doped up warp drive

On that note, I feel that Captain Janeway didn't give fair treatment to the remaining Equinox officers ("The Equinox Five"). As Ransom said they were only following orders. I refer to the incident in Star Trek IV when Kirk accepted full blame for the actions of the TOS crew working under his orders. :)

Ooo ooo I remember I liked that episode please, what was the name of it?

Good point, BUT.

Captain Janeway was in a very extrime situation. She didn't always bend the Prime Directive compleatly in their favor, if you remember int the episode "Time and Again" Tom Paris make a comment to her somewhere along the lines of "You and my father, alway upholding the all powerful and mighty Prime Directive" Not an exact quote, but it gives the general idea.

And, in the episode you were refering to, she didn't steal it, she tried to obtain it legaly. She was livid when she found out Tuvok, B'Elanna and Seska had attempted make an illegal trade for it.

She did everything she possibly could to get her crew home without throughing the unstable Quadrant into even further chaos.

Thank you Captain and TrekkieMage, I wish I some day have your memory for VOY "sentences" You are a true VOY fan and I am becoming more convinced everyday I must not have been paying enough attention to this series.

" 22nd Directive

Help for planets which are making no progress or are under a siege

When there is a contact with a planet which makes no progress in his development, which is under a siege or controlled by another race, an officer can make changes in the social structure of this planet with the goal to bring the planet to a technological path."

But isn't that "interfering with the normal development of any culture or society' ?