Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Star Trek Doors

Will Trek's doors ever become a reality ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trek's doors ever become a reality ?

• Yes
    • Yes, they are working on them now.
    • Yes, they already are..
    • Yes, I have them in my home.
    • No
    • No. What? Are you too lazy to turn a doorknob !
    • Other Opinion ?

Aren't those automatic doors on Star Trek awesome? I always thought so. Just another device that I associate with Star Trek for some reason. Do you think we'll ever develop the technology to create them? I would certainly hope so. We do have them to a certain extent now. Those electronic doors at practically every super market and store..Here's another question. If we do develop these Trek doors will they have that cool woooosh sound.! :waaaa:

I voted - Yes, they already are..

It's just a matter of working out the problem of power usage so people can have them at home without waisting resources to power them.

I'd say we could probably expect them in 50 years with a "new generation" of homes where things like auto-doors are common place. Can you imagine all the doors going *wheeeeet* everytime someone goes near them? :waaaa:

Sliding doors.... I'd say they already exist. In Japan, nearly every business - no

matter how small - has sliding doors. Yes, some are manually operated, but many,

many are automatic, and they are very efficient and silent.

Yes, I know that we have automatic doors in todays society..We all use them at least once a day. But do you believe that they will evolve into Trek doors? When I was a teenager watching TOS I was always amazed about something. The actors would be standing in front of the doors having a conversation and the doors wouldn't open. It was only when they walked into the doors would they open..Wooosh..!!..Course as time went by I realized it was all television trickery..But wouldn't it be cool to have our doors this sophisticated..

Yes, they already are..

Heck they could do smart doors now if they wanted to and I say they should. How many times have you walked past one of those doors (not meaning to enter) and have them open?

Trek doors sense movement (same as todays) but Trek doors can also tell if the person has stopped moving towards the door before reaching the point where, if the doors didn't open: POW! You'd walk into them.

SHHHHHHHHHHHICK! I envy bysty having that sound in some of his posts, I sometimes go visit a thread I know he's posted it on just so I can hear it. :waaaa:

ok you now those doors that magicly open for you at the super market.. they r basicly the same thing..

There is a basic difference, though. Can you imagine if the door sensors on the Ent-D were the same as those at the market? Someone just walking down the corridor would trigger 50 crew quarters to open. :waaaa: These Trek door sensors are "smarter", and I think that's what AE and Tigger are referring to.

All you really have to do is reconfigure the focul point of the sensor so, instead of opening when someone is within 1 meter, they open when someone is at...say...18 inches. also, the automation can be turned off from the inside. basically it would be a cross between an elevator's doors and those in the super market, just as said with a closer detection range.

What I'm waiting for is an elevator (Turbo lift) that I can get into and say "5th Floor" instead of pushing the button for the 5th floor.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are already in use, in fact it would surprise me if they don't already exist. I've just never seen one.

What I'm waiting for is an elevator (Turbo lift) that I can get into and say "5th Floor" instead of pushing the button for the 5th floor.

That would be awesome and I'm sure that invention isn't that far away. I mean we already have those voice activated light dimmers..I have 2 in my home..!!

I voted "yes", but I'm not sure I'd want all of the doors in my home to be "Trek doors." Why, you ask? I live in Wisconsin, and sometimes we get storms (Spring and Winter) that knock out the electricity in several areas, sometimes for days. If all my doors were "Trek doors", I'd be locked in whatever room I happened to be occupying when the power went out until the power is restored!

Ya know, adapting the voice activated light system to an elevator wouldn't be that hard. at least, I wouldn't think so. and if the power goes out, you're not going to rely soley on the electrical features, I hope. there'd probably be a manual override.