Sign in to follow this  
BorgAssimilator

Warp 10 Theory

I'm just a little confused about this. I've heard that once you reach warp 10 that you are going so fast that you occupy every point in space at once. I've also heard that once you reach warp 10 you will EVENTUALLY reach a speed where you're everywhere at once. I've also read that you need an "unexhaustable power source" Would you also be able to controll anything over warp 10? I know they went over it in Breaking Barriers (VOY) and then they mentioned going warp 13 in some TNG episode, but exactly how fast was that? ::cloud9:: Almost as confusing as time paradoxes :cloud9:

welll supposedly warp 10 is the fastest that u can travel in warp theory... it will take an infinite ammount of energy so that u can be in infinite places at the same time because u are traveling that fast.....

now regarding warp 13 in the tng episode...i suppose that it can be explained that with transwarp technology...the warp scale had to be readjusted...i mean the max speed of galaxy class ships with standard warp drive is like 9.9 or somthing...so with transwarp drive it may seem rediculous to say that the ship is traveling at transwarp 9.999999 or such.. so to me it seems reasonable that they rescaled the warp increments in the late 24th/25th century... so that warp 13 is the old 9.99999

At the moment, Warp ten is still to be determined. However, it is to be known that a ship traveling at Warp ten and if she slingshots around a star, it can go forwards and backwards in time. That is all I know about Warp ten.

Powreal

So are you saying that the ship in ST IV: The Voyage Home, was goining at warp 10? That seems a little far out for me doesn't it? Could they really get a ship from THG going that fast? I even thought for them to be going 9.9 was too big in itself. but yeah, sounds about right.

So are you saying that the ship in ST IV: The Voyage Home, was goining at warp 10? That seems a little far out for me doesn't it? Could they really get a ship from THG going that fast? I even thought for them to be going 9.9 was too big in itself. but yeah, sounds about right.

Stardate:21490.4

I thought it Star Trek IV that the Bird of Prey was only going somethingh around warp 9.85?

that's what I thought. The last number sulu counted to was 9.8. Donno though, because acording to powreal, you'd have to be at warp 10 to do what they did. But then, you do need an inexhaustable power source to get there. ohh idea: omega?

OK, I can somewhat "believe" that there is an absolute maximum speed and once this is achieved you are everywhere at once. So lets expand this theory to time travel and say that you can achieve time travel by going some extraordinarilly fast speed as well.

How do you control the DIRECTION in time you are going? Wouldn't you also have to occupy every TIME at once as well?

Not exactly. The theory that's closest to time travel is this:

When you go the speed of light, you slow down time for yourself. If you were to be able to go even faster, you'd slow soo much you'd go backwards. I did a little math (agh.... this is what physics does to you) and I found out star trek's warp 9 is about equivilant to the speed you'd have to go to get to time travel. I think he was thinking of this when he made the movies at least a bit. Because slowing down of time is an exponential graph, the faster you go, time slows down even more. Same with st warp speeds if you look at a chart. I have a pic, but it's not on the net. If you want me to e-mail it, just pm me or something.

When Paris broke the warp threshold, Torres, Kim ,and Paris used a new type of plasma from the Delta Quadrant. I've have alway taken to the theory that the meter on Pars's shuttle read as Warp 10 only because that was the next speed known to the computer readouts. I have held to the belief that speed beyond Warp 9.999 are very attainable.

If anyone had a Next Generation Technical Manual I believe it would show the recalculated warp scale as compared to TOS.

Well I think the next questions is, "Does Warp 10 equal Transwarp speeds?" Transwarp is possible, we have seen it accomplished in Voyager Episode "Distant Origin" with the former Earth speices the Voth.

:cool:

Warp 10 needs infinite energy and was attained by Tom Paris....

The Warp 13 was before they adjusted the scale. Galaxy classes can only go to 9.6 on the TNG scale...

The TOS scale can go higher than 10....

It's all about bending space time...

Time slows down relative to you making you go faster

Time goes faster to other people seeming that you are going to Infinite speeds and not be seen occupying all points in space.

Transwarp is travel not in regular space but subspace.

Not exactly. The theory that's closest to time travel is this:

When you go the speed of light, you slow down time for yourself. If you were to be able to go even faster, you'd slow soo much you'd go backwards. I did a little math (agh.... this is what physics does to you) and I found out star trek's warp 9 is about equivilant to the speed you'd have to go to get to time travel. I think he was thinking of this when he made the movies at least a bit. Because slowing down of time is an exponential graph, the faster you go, time slows down even more. Same with st warp speeds if you look at a chart. I have a pic, but it's not on the net. If you want me to e-mail it, just pm me or something.

If you want to send me an email with the pic I will host it for you so that everyone can see it but I know that I am very interested in seeing it. MY email is ddillard@startrekfans.net

It's kind of a mute discussion this warp 10 business. It's a fictitious barrier that they made up. Pretty silly if you ask...what is so special about 10 lol. The stupid thing is, they believe that something special happens when you pass it just like we do now about going the speed of light.

Edited by Danny

If I understand this right, the way warp drive works, a warp "field" is generated around a ship, which, as the name implies, "warps" the space it's in. By Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can reach or exceed the speed of light. BUT, so long as a vessel is "enveloped" in this field, the ship ITSELF doesn't actually reach the speed of light, but rather, the FIELD it's in does. Where the number "10" comes in, is the warp factor where the ship will reach the speed of light INSIDE the warp field. So 1/2 the speed of light INSIDE the field, would in actuality be warp 5 travelling.