Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Service to your country, fellow man or God

Have you served full time in any of the following ways.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Have you served full time in any of the following ways.

• your country's military - beyond boot camp
    • Peace corp - 1-2 yrs.
    • Missionary service - six months or more.

I was curious how many people have spent a sizable chunk of their life doing some sort of service. I guess being in the military could be considered a "job" but I think it is much, much more.

I put the 6 month limit on missionary service because I don't mean the two week missions a lot of youth take - not that they aren't good but being out there for months or years is different.

Would you like to participate in some sort of domestic service? I thought about this after 9-11-01 that I think more people would like to have felt there was some way they could serve their country.

I've known people to do more than one of the above - I admire those who commit their talents to serving others.

Where did you go?

I am in the US Navy, while some of the things I have done in the Navy still give me nightmares, and will undoubtably be the focus of some Psychological therapy in the future, Joining the military was a wonderful thing for me. if I have one bit of advice for anyone thinking about joining the Military, it is GO FOR IT.

I voted before I saw you asked for people who served a "sizable chunk".

Three years in the USN 75-78, I served aboard the USS Abnaki ATF96 (<now decommissioned.) I never "saw the world" but I did become very familiar with the west coast of the US :lol:

Well AE, the younger you are the less it takes to make a sizeable chunk - actually on the poll I indicated serving beyond boot camp because I have known some who only made it that far. I think three years is a really good chunk.

I've never been in the military but I spent eighteen months as a missionary in central California. And it was full time - up at 6:30 a.m. and lights out at 10:30 p.m. One day off to do laundry and shopping, no movies, television, newspapers, radio for eighteen months. No social life goes without saying.

No, no and no. Although I've never been a missionary, I've been a volunteer minister since I was 16, inactive for 3 years, now fully active in the ministry again.

not only am I in the military, but I come from a Military family. my father did 20 years, I have 2 uncles who fought in Vietnam, a great uncle who was a ball turret gunner on either a B-17 or B-24, and a brother in Iraq now.

iv never seviced in military stuff.. but concidering the fact that i volinteer in my community alot and im quite young still its not really possible for me to do military stuff.. well i could go to boot camp.. but soccer camp is alread to harsh for me..

None of the above as stated.

I think I do what most Americans do: spend some time doing unpaid work for an organization or a project....it becomes part of a lifestyle. It is not the same as working for the military or doing missionary work, which is usually long term, and involves the whole physical being in self-sacrifice.

It started in girl scouts where we always had service projects like visiting or entertaining the elderly, cleaning up litter from public places and such. We also had such service activities in some of the churches I was in when young.

As an adult, I have at various time been a vacation Bible school teacher, a Sunday school teacher, and active in prayer groups. At the moment I am completely inactive ( for about three weeks now). I support financially a missionary that came out of our congregtion and now has a large complex in Haiti. I have supported monetarily missionaries that do short term service ( a year or two) from our congregation.

I know people who every tax season voluntarily do taxes for free for walk-ins from January to April, one evening a week. One lady is a retired college professor, the other is a full time college professor. This particular service has been going on every year for decades. Unpaid dedication.

They get retrained every year on their own time to be able to provide this service.

I think there are all kinds of ways to serve, that enrich our society. Perhaps not all gain the kind of perspective that one would gain when their whole physical being is engaged in service, being physically relocated, and going through extreme self-sacrifice, like missionaries and the military. But any kind of giving is enriching.

I am a Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps, and I take great pride in that. When I wear my uniform, I litterally, and this is no joke, I feel like Superman, because I know there may be a thousand people around me who don't give a hoot one way or another that I am a Marine and am in Uniform, but there are probably 10 in that group who say "Wow, now THAT is the kind of person I want to be." I know there are little kids who look up and see a Marine and see someone who could whip Superman or Batman any day. and that's a great feeling. the feeling of respect you get.

I think there are all kinds of ways to serve, that enrich our society. Perhaps not all gain the kind of perspective that one would gain when their whole physical being is engaged in service, being physically relocated, and going through extreme self-sacrifice, like missionaries and the military. But any kind of giving is enriching.

Interestingly one of the biggest "lessons" I learned from being a full time missionary is just how important those "everyday" volunteers are. A missionary may be the first contact and actually do the first part of the teaching but people need the encouragement of friends and people need examples. If it wasn't for the example of all the good people in the world - missionaries would have a much tougher job.

hardcharginsarge Posted on Feb 5 2004, 02:36 PM

I know there are little kids who look up and see a Marine and see someone who could whip Superman or Batman any day. and that's a great feeling. the feeling of respect you get.

I am glad to hear that our men/women in uniform are getting the respect they deserve.

I am a Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps, and I take great pride in that. When I wear my uniform, I litterally, and this is no joke, I feel like Superman, because I know there may be a thousand people around me who don't give a hoot one way or another that I am a Marine and am in Uniform, but there are probably 10 in that group who say "Wow, now THAT is the kind of person I want to be." I know there are little kids who look up and see a Marine and see someone who could whip Superman or Batman any day. and that's a great feeling. the feeling of respect you get.

I promise I won't do any Marine jokes, but I will say this... Go Army! ;)

I do know what you mean though, Whenever I traveled on leave I wore my Class A or Class B uniform (That's the dress uniform for those that don't know Class A is with the jacket and Class B is without it). I would always have someone come talk to me or want to shake my hand and have little kids looking at me.

To have a complete stranger come up to you on an airplane or in an airport and say "Thank you for being in the Army" isn't why I joined the Army, but it was a pretty cool thing to have happen.

I remember in the convoy to Houston to take all our equipment to the ships to be sent to Saudi Arabia the streets were lined with people waving American Flags and helicopters hovering over head. Cars speeding up to make pace with us so they could wave and give a thumbs up and cheer us on. Very cool indeed.

the one thing that does disturb me is that ocassionally, there are still people who will call me a baby killer, or a murderer. and when I am confronted with that, I just take it in stride, and say "Murderer? Baby Killer? No and no. but because of me and what I have done, you have the right to form your opinion the way it is. regardless of how stupid or idiotic I may find it."

the one thing that does disturb me is that ocassionally, there are still people who will call me a baby killer, or a murderer. and when I am confronted with that, I just take it in stride, and say "Murderer? Baby Killer? No and no. but because of me and what I have done, you have the right to form your opinion the way it is. regardless of how stupid or idiotic I may find it."

You tell 'em Sarge! :laugh:

I wouldn't say I come from a military family, but Afghanistan and Desert Storm part 2 were the first wars since the Civil War where we did not have a family member serving at the time. They didn't all serve in the conflict theatre but they were active duty.

As for myself I was in the Army during Desert Storm, although I was stationed in Korea at the time.

My dad was classified 4-E during Vietnam. E stands for Even. The Army doctor said "Even if we're invaded we don't want you!" :laugh: Actually, the true story is he went to enlist voluntarily, was rejected by the physician because of scar tissue on the inside of his ear and they were worried he couldn't hear battlefield commands, and when he got home from the physical his draft notice was in the mail.

Now that I am in the professional world the cost of some kind of an extended service is much higher than when I was 18. I do, however, find other ways to contribute to society. I am the Treasurer of a statewide nonprofit group, Vice President of Administration / President-Elect for another, and I am also active in my national fraternity (even though I have been out of college for 5 years).

Edited by lt_van_roy

Well, i am only 13, so i cant do anything of those things. if i could i would be a missionary, to help people and stuff.... but, my family is mostly cowboys/cowgirls, so i dont really see that in my forseeable future.

Well, i am only 13, so i cant do anything of those things. if i could i would be a missionary, to help people and stuff.... but, my family is mostly cowboys/cowgirls, so i dont really see that in my forseeable future.

I'm not sure what you mean by cowboy - most of the "cowboys" I know are cattle ranchers or farmers and there are definitely places in the world where people have a need of agricultural skills. But by the time you finish school you may have all sorts of skills you can share.