Sign in to follow this  
Xeroc

Typos

Would you like the Moderators to edit out typos?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the Moderators to edit out typos?

• Yes, that would be helpful
    • No, that's an invasion of my privacy
    • I don't care

Typs are a common thang. Thay often just pop up and a hard to catch. Would you like the Moderrators of thiese boards to edit your typos out?

If the No wins, typos will nt be editedd out.

If the Yes wins, typos will be edited out.

You can always PM the moderators if you would like a different course of action to be taken specifically for YOU. For example, No wins but you want us to edit out your typos.

Also, if yes wins, we cannot guarantee we will find all the typos, but if we see any, we will edit them.

I voted no, but not because I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. We all do it, and I think we're adult enough to look past the occasional mistake and see the meaning of the message. Nobody's perfect. And I think the mod's time can be better spent than correcting typos.

However, if the typo somehow changes the meaning of what was meant or makes it difficult to understand what was meant, then maybe the poster can be informed and edit it on his/her own.

No, they may go around and capitalize my "i" s. I just cannot have that!

I would not want to put that on the Mods. Gods, what a bore!

Guest Ktrek

For one thing I think the mods have enough to do without this extra responsiblity. It's not necessary. I want my message to stand as is typos and all. If I look stupid it's my fault I don't need my mommy looking after me all the time. I'm sure I have made plenty of typos and I can't think of one instance where someone did not understand what I meant or had the need to correct me. :blink:

Ktrek

I voted no as both a member of the boards and as a moderator. I will admit that the secretary in me would like to go in there sometimes and do it but I think it would be too time consuming to have us do that. If you spot typos in your own posts you can always edit it - I do that a lot to my own posts.

Besides, you assume we mods can actually spell!! :blink:

Just to throw my hat in, if you guys want me to i'll do it on the ENT board as i read'em, but it seems to be going no. But how would you know if we did, since they're simple typos, like forgetting one letter, eh? We're not talking total change of the post, and not using the edited by... tab.

The only time I've gone in and edited a post was to fix Code tags, that's not really editing though. More like repairing. In fact I don't think I've even seen a posting that even needed to be deleted yet.

As for the Code repairing, that is usually only needed for the first few postings of brand new members. It ends once they learn how to use the controls.

I voted no as both a member of the boards and as a moderator.  I will admit that the secretary in me would like to go in there sometimes and do it but I think it would be too time consuming to have us do that.  If you spot typos in your own posts you can always edit it - I do that a lot to my own posts. 

Besides, you assume we mods can actually spell!! :blink:

LOL

I don’t think the moderators (including myself) should do that. It’s a waste of time. And I make lots of silly mistakes and people can still read my posts and understand them . . . that’s all that really counts . . . . we are not here to grade someone’s grammar skills . . . . we are here to have a good time

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Well, it looks like the current verdict is No. Unless there is a big reversal of opinion, it looks like the typos will stay. No typo editing will be practiced unless specifically asked for by someone.

It'spretty funny to read peoples typos, sometimes. Also, if other people canged your message, it wouldn't really eb yours.

It'spretty funny to read peoples typos, sometimes. Also, if other people canged your message, it wouldn't really eb yours.

:o I couldn't help but giggle about your comments especially with your typos. :o

Oh god. I swear I did not to that on purpose! I just eread it now...so sad!! (but I left the apostrphe out ON PURPOSE!!!)

Oh god. I swear I did not to that on purpose! I just eread it now...so sad!! (but I left the apostrphe out ON PURPOSE!!!)

LOL

It was funny (as Takara_Soong said)

But that’s ok dsbs

We all make mistakes

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

No . i just discovered the edit feature yesterday so really you can do it yourself. I don't find typo's a problem, you can understand the posts. Plus i think the moderators have enough to do.

no offense guys...but its analagous to the freedom of speech...if my typos are edited..then whose to say that if i say something controversial (abortion religion etc..) that it wont be edited as well... much like the prime directive...a rule is a rule...and cant be bent dependent on the situation...

No - I think there's a better use of the mod's time. We usually know what someone is saying and read past the typos. Occasionally what appears as a typo might have been intended for creative purposes?

I think the mods have enough to do without having to clear up typos. Honestly the typos give the posts character. I think that the typos should stay as is......(Checking post three times before posting, to clear out my typos.) Noooo.gif

I think the mods have enough to do without having to clear up typos.  Honestly the typos give the posts character.  I think that the typos should stay as is......(Checking post three times before posting, to clear out my typos.) Noooo.gif

Back at the time this poll was done we were small enough that it could have been done. Now there's no way all the typos could be caught, nor would anyone try I'm willing to bet lol.