Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek V: the worst yet?

Star Trek V has undoubtedly been dubbed the worst of all the films. An unimaginative plot, limited character usage and bad special effects. Indeed, the tale of Spock's half brother and his mad search for God may have had some good moments, but these are few and far between. Putting aside the tacky jokes, I liked the smarmy Romulan with her big hair and make-up. TOS Romulans always looked better to me than the grey proto-vulcan style TNG ones. More 'fake nice'. When I first saw it I loved the bridge design: a real 'bridge' (if you pardon the pun) between the TOS bridge and the push TNG version. But apart from Uhura gettin jiggy with McCoy and Sulu and Chekov getting lost in a forest, it was basically the amazing trio (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)in at each other as they tried to stop the evil mad man. God himself was just a big face who cut to the chase too quickly and had surprisingly weak pwers for a super being. And in the end, everyone had a drink and forgot that they were trying to blow each other up at the start of the movie, ha ha ha! Ahem. Paradise was like a bad Mos Eisley, complete with a three breasted cat woman (who adorned the movie poster in Japan!) and television shows. Interesting but not very profound. That's my critique, but i'm interested to know if you

It's probably my least favorite too, though I didn't really like ST: The Motion Picture either. That movie was just way too drawn out and had really poor character development and instead relied on whiz-bang effects. But as for ST:5, it was definitely weak. It had some good moments so it's not completey useless, such as when Scotty says, "I know this ship like the back of my hand" and bangs his head on a part of the ship... priceless.

But apart from Uhura gettin jiggy with McCoy and Sulu and Chekov getting lost in a forest, it was basically the amazing trio (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)in at each other as they tried to stop the evil mad man.

It was Scotty, not McCoy, that Uhura was trying to hook up with. And I agree, TFF was not one of the better Trek films.

Star Trek V is too stupid to be Star Trek. *hitting the mental delete button* Bloop - all gone. :blink:

yes STV was like a big ol' brain fart. but they made up for it with VI that was a good movie. but in its defense there was a couple of ok parts in V just not enough to make it a continual watcher. personally i think GENERATIONS was a brain fart too. at least the motion picture had an excuse it was their first attempt at movie, and first time together in years. what was GENERATIONS excuse, they already had good writers in place, had lots of time together, and plenty of experience. well thats my thought anyway.

Um... I liked Star Trek V The Final Frontier. Oh, that wasn't God. Just a nasty alien who pretended to be! :P If it "was" God, he wouldn't be trapped on the planet! :blink:

Anywho, I liked the movie a lot. We discover Spock's half brother, Sybok, he brain washes the crew, brain washed Uhura flirts with Scotty, Scotty jail breaks the heroes, bad special effects like on the show, big journey to find God, instead, they find one ticked off alien that shoots lighting bolts!

Not the best of the Trek movies, but I liked it!

I know I am in a minority when I say this but I actually liked The Final Frontier. Yeah, it had many plot holes, and some bad plot, but why I liked it was because of the theme of friendship and family that was throughout this movie. I mean at the beginning and the end, you have Kirk, spock, and Mccoy around the campfire just hanging out with one another. You have great dialouge that really touch the theme of family like when Kirk says "I knew I wouldn't die because the 2 of you were with me."

Its this theme that really does the entire movie for me. Also, it does have some fun moments like scotty's "I know this ship like the back of my head...CLONCK" scene, and the scene when the Enterprise first enter the barrier.

If I had to choose the worst film, it would probably be The Search for Spock. I found it boring and dull.

Oh, that wasn't God. Just a nasty alien who pretended to be!

Duh :blink:

amyway...I liked STV, though it wasn't my favorite. Had it's momnets though

Kirk, Spock,Bones-"Stand back??"

*BOOM*

Scotty-"WHAT ARE YA STANDIN' AROUND FOR???!! DO YA NOT KNOW A JAILBREAK WHEN YA SEE ONE????!!!!"

Oh..here's some info on that Fake God

Click for Spoiler:

In the TNG books The Q-Continuum Trilogy

we find out that the "God" is a Trouble Causing Intity,

Banished to the Center of the Galaxy by the Q Continuum.

Ofcourse..all this is just Star Trek Expanded Universe :P

Star Trek 5 is the only film in the franchise that I can confidently say has no redeeming qualities. the story is lacking in many areas and I feel that the characters do not live up to what has been created before. Basically I get the feeling that the presented view of the characters in this film is the way that Shatner has envisioned them without the guidence of an intelligent director to tell him to be quite and act.

Thank You Prometheus!

Anytime someone would say Nemesis is the worst Trek movie, I would tell them to go watch ST V and get back to me. I liked the scene with them by the campfire when they are singing Row Row Row Your Boat. Spock is trying to analyze the words of the song instead of singing and Mc Coy tells Spock he's supposed to just sing it to have a good time, not because of the meaning of the words. And Spock's answer is "Oh, I am sorry...were we having a good time?" Roll credits, end of movie thank you.

"I know this ship like the back of my head...CLONCK" scene,

Okay, I admit that one part was really good. :blink:

Star Trek 5 is the only film in the franchise that I can confidently say has no redeeming qualities. the story is lacking in many areas and I feel that the characters do not live up to what has been created before. Basically I get the feeling that the presented view of the characters in this film is the way that Shatner has envisioned them without the guidence of an intelligent director to tell him to be quite and act.

Boy oh boy I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way! There were some cute scenes but they were far and few between. Don't get me wrong, I like Shatner but I think his, don't be offended anyone, big head got in the way of his common sense. I realize there is alot more to a movie than a director, but it's like the pitcher of a baseball team, or the quarterback of a football team, if the team looses they get blamed. Bill you dropped the ball on this one! It could have been a good addition to my collection of movies, but I think I'll leave it on the store shelf beside the "Spock's Brain" eppy! :blink:

Katy

Boy oh boy I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way! There were some cute scenes but they were far and few between. Don't get me wrong, I like Shatner but I think his, don't be offended anyone, big head got in the way of his common sense. I realize there is alot more to a movie than a director, but it's like the pitcher of a baseball team, or the quarterback of a football team, if the team looses they get blamed. Bill you dropped the ball on this one! It could have been a good addition to my collection of movies, but I think I'll leave it on the store shelf beside the "Spock's Brain" eppy! :blink:

Katy

The thing that I find hard about ST 5 is that the end of the previous film seems really exciting with Kirk saying "Lets see what she's got" and then ST5 did not live up to it by taking the humour of ST4 and making the comedy pompous. In my opinion what was needed was another action based film perhaps with the Klingons begining a germ warfare battle against Federation planets in reaction to the events of ST 3. Hence, the hatred of the Klingons in ST 6 would have been carried over a story arc.

That is just one idea for a better script, have you any others?

TransporterMalfunction Posted on Apr 16 2003, 10:50 AM

That is just one idea for a better script, have you any others?

:blink: It's been a while so I'll have to think about it. I'll get back to you on that one!

i guess i have a soft spot in my heart for star trek five becuase it was the first star trek i saw in the theater and remember going with my dad....it was the beginning of everything for me, and i guess, since i knew nothing, i wasnt too judgmental of it...i liked the row row row your boat scene, the `i NEED my pain` scene, and of course, wanted a pair of those flying boots!

i tend to agree that Star Trek V is the worst movie of them all.. It never really got to me, the only really good scene is the Row Row Row.. Otherwise.. no, just doesn't work.. :bow:

I loved it! It was a blast to see it in the theater; I went to it at least 5 times. We would sing; were off to see the entity, the entity at Shakareeee! :bow: True it had/has problems but as a pop-corn film, it was the best of the bunch, reminded me of going to the matinee when I was a kid sitting in the front row and just enjoying myself for the sake of going to the movies and not taking a legal pad along to take notes! Also, I still consider it the only OS film which recaptured the sprit and feel of TOS and I think Paramount has ripped Shatner a new one, not letting him do a D.E. Believe it or not, this film has MILLIONS of fans mostly in the Latino secter, they eat it up and so do I! :D

Paramount has ripped Shatner a new one, not letting him do a D.E.

ok i give whats a D.E.? and since you put it that way i guess it could of been a lot worse.

I have to agree that it was probably the worst ST movie of them all. Yes, it had some good scenes, but not many. I just find that alot of the plot did not fit with the ST universe. And also, what about the side effects of the Great barrier that were experienced in TOS when the Enterprise went through. I have to admit the Scotty knocking himself out with the bulkhead after proclaiming to know the ship like the back of his hand was classic.

I think that Star Trek V might have worked if they hadn't tried so hard to make it a comedy. Star Trek IV was funny but the humor worked well with the story. I felt like after the success of Star Trek IV the studio was trying to cash in on the Trek humor but in this case it just didn't fly. True there were some parts in the movie that made me laugh but not enough to save the movie. Star Trek has always had an element of humor but it shouldn't have to be forced. Beyond the forced humor I thought that the plot was weak, the special effects were lame, the Klingons were stupid, and the Enterprise was a disaster! The list of why I think this was the worst Trek film of all time is a mile long so I'll stop here.

And also, what about the side effects of the Great barrier that were experienced in TOS

Didn't they go throught the Galactic Barrier in TOS??

Galactic Barrier-Galaxy's Edge

Great Barrier-Galaxy's Center