Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

In defense of Captain Jellico

I have always been a little puzzled by the negative response to Captain Jellico. (chain of command pt.1and2)

Given the time constraints and the pressure of having the fate of the alpha quadrant in his hands ( a second Federation/Cardassian war), I think he showed remarkable patients with Riker and the crew. His command style might have been different, but no worse than Picards.

I never considered him to have worse command style then Picard, just very different. The crew was not used to a captain like Jellico, and I agree that he might have been portrayed as (and maybe he was) an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) but his command style worked nonetheless.

Hm, I don't like his command style. Maybe it's because he's just... out of place somehow. He doesn't belong to that crew and onto that ship into that chair. The Enterprise D is an exploring vessel, not a warship. His command style may be excellent for military, but not for a ship full of families, other civillians and officers that are used to a different captain.

That's just my opinion B) , I might be too much used to another captain on that chair B)

Mrs. Captain Picard

I think he did well under the circumstances. Personality conflicts arise all the time so it didn't surprise me that there would be a problem of that nature included.

I think his command style would have worked on the short term but not on the long term. People would have gotten sick of him and everyone would have been begging for a transfer.

One thing is for sure the show never would have worked with Jellico as captain. But I agree he might have been different in a non combat situation and he wasn't Picard who we were all used too.

I never considered him to have worse command style then Picard, just very different. The crew was not used to a captain like Jellico, and I agree that he might have been portrayed as (and maybe he was) an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) but his command style worked nonetheless.

Actually, that actor has pretty much played an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) in all his roles. He is quite good at it. :lol:

Well, I take that back. He was an OK guy in the movie "soldier", but no one saw that movie because it sucked.

But overall I think he was one of the most realistic Captains played. Military officers can't play nice all the time. Plus you have to remember he was chosen by Starfleet for just that particular mission. He knew what negotiating with the Cardassians was like, and what to expect if those negotiations failed. For all we know the only other person on the ship who had met a Cardassian face to face was O'Brian.

Edited by lt_van_roy

I loved him in that episode. He was chosen to kick some *buttocks* and he did. He was perfect for the job. Now after the situation had passed, if he was still not giving the crew enough time to do their work and keeping them on edge (keep in mind during a peacetime situation) he should be fired. In order for a crew to function they have to be happy and not stressed. Any captain who stresses the crew beyong believe in everyday situations should be canned. But like I said he was a great choice by starfleet for the mission.

I didn't mind Jellico. He had to be there to create the episode but I didn't really like his style.

I'm curious, people have mentioned that they didn't like his command style,but if the situation had been reversed and Picard had been assigned to "Jellico's Enterprise" what do you believe he would (or could) have done different?

(Just as a side note, I've always thought of Jellico's style as more like Kirk than Picard,remember poor Scotty had too start multiplying his repair estimates by 4 just to have enough time to get the job done!! :cloud9: )

That's an interesting question. I think Jean-Luc would have changed into a bit more militaristic-like captain (like the one we saw in "Yesterday's Enterprise"). He'd still be a diplomat, of course, first talking before shooting, but his command style would either have changed or he'd have his crewchanged, if he had had enough time to do so. :cloud9:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I used to hate Jellico, but then I read the book Stone and Anvil. It really gives some insight into the real Jellico that we did not really have the opportunity to see in Chain of Command. Read that book before you judge him too harshly.

Captain Jellico command style was get the crew ready for a war, period. He even said he didn't have time honeymoon with the crew. Commander Riker's behavior should have been better. He did not support the chain of command as a first officer should and got what he deserved. I have been told many of times in my naval career, "You may not respect the person, respect the rank that the person holds." By the way, did anyone notice pictures that where drawn by his children or grandchildren in the ready room?

Edited by Odie

Not everyone has to like fishes. Plus it served to remind the crew the Captain Picard was no longer in charge. Anyway, the fish did return when Picard assumed command again. Maybe it was for the best for the fish. He didn't have to look at Captain Jellico. :o

I've always wondered how exactly did those fish get fed, I've looked and I can't seem to spot anything that resembles a lid on that tank. :o

A movable wall. Passageway behind the wall. Compartment above the tank. Take your pick.

He didn't have to look at  Captain Jellico. :o

lol, that probably would have made the poor fish soooo sad! Wait a sec...fish don't get sad...this whole thread is starting to make me want a fish, maybe a betta...they seem pretty low-matinance, plus, you can keep it in a cup!

lol ANYWAYS back to captain Jellico, the first few times i saw the episode i was apauled but the last time i wasnt as upset the crew didnt like him because he was even colder and more detached than picard.. i still dont but i understand his reasoning

I liked the fact that he made Deanna wear standard uniform on the bridge.

I agree, despite what some guys here may think, the bridge of a starship is not the place to show clevage :theforce:

I honestly did not mind Captain Jellico. Ok, his style was a lot more militaristic than Picards but he was not chosen to make friends, he was chosen to do job!. I agree, in the long term his command style probably would have become stale but under the circumstances, I think he did well.

Note: Jellico's style reminds me of Mike Keenan's style of coaching :wacko: